The Student Room Group

Are we taking it for granted, is playing water fights still acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheHansa
water cycle?

Climate change is altering water cycle patterns?
Sorry, I didn't read the question properly so I ticked that we shouldnt waste water when I agree with the latter of the options.
Reply 82
Original post by Casshern1456

You say we use enough to cover our basic needs I'm saying Britain is using water unnecessary through washing cars, water fights which we could do without and can be substituted for something else. you can't just say make water clean and it's fine we pay water companies to purify out water which costs money and energy too, this is about as much as saving costs, limiting environmental damage via CO2 as using water.

i know we can't help other people in other countries get clean water but that doesn't mean we could use our reserve of water to clean cars, water fight do you know what i mean.

We have enough water available that even after the basics we can afford to waste some without doing much damage. Purifying freshwater doesn't take much energy, since the process consists mainly of filtration and disinfecting. The most energy-intensive part of the system is probably the pumps, and they're running anyway regardless of whether or not the water is going to be used. Neither is money an objection, because if people are willing to pay the water companies extra so they can have the privilege of water fights then that's their business.

Water fights and washing a car with a bucket use hardly any water when compared with a shower or a dishwasher. So surely it should be the latter which should be targeted first?
Original post by Casshern1456
it's obvious i didn't quite get my message across accurately and i can't change my poll to reflect on what i meant by wasting clean water. People on here have a different level of understanding about how water is purified, but this was enjoyable up to a certain extent.

the level of water on earth never changes, whether it is in ice, the air, or in the ocean. The glass of water you chuck outside will eventually end up back in your tap (not the exact water particles, but you get what I mean).
Original post by Norton1
Ever waste food? Ever drive or use a car? Ever go to a school for free? Ever go to University? Inevitably if you live in a first world country you're going to be able to do things denied to those in other countries. Also, note that a waterfight doesn't diminish the people who don't have clean water in any way. Britain happens to be a fairly wet country. Just as Egypt won't run short of sand we won't run short of water. But if you didn't use the water for a waterfight it's not as if it would be bottled and sent over to Africa to help out.

I take it the constant drought warnings we've had over the last few years have flown straight over your head then? And the serious drought a while ago when they had to turn off the water and people lined up at standing pipes in the street...

I'm not saying water fights are therefore wrong, but we don't have an unlimited supply.
Original post by cgraham15
the level of water on earth never changes, whether it is in ice, the air, or in the ocean. The glass of water you chuck outside will eventually end up back in your tap (not the exact water particles, but you get what I mean).

Technically some is lost in Space! Plus water can be "destroyed" and created.

Though on global terms no, it won't really fluctuate due to the sheer quantities. It being usable for drinking is a completely different matter though - even tried drinking ocean water?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending