Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Overseas Interviews for UK Training Contracts?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it unheard of to have TC interviews whilst overseas? I've previously had an interview for an overseas vac scheme conducted via live web link whilst I was in the UK.

I'm currently working abroad and am applying for TC's primarily with law firms that have offices in the region.

Due to expense and practical reasons it may be difficult for me to fly out to the UK for interviews. Would it be out of the question to request that I have my interviews with the firm's office in the region or via live link...or would it just be considered a hassle and my application subsequently binned? I'm worried that it may seem like I'm not a serious candidate if I'm unable to attend in person.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellhellothar)
    Is it unheard of to have TC interviews whilst overseas? I've previously had an interview for an overseas vac scheme conducted via live web link whilst I was in the UK.

I'm currently working abroad and am applying for TC's primarily with law firms that have offices in the region.

Due to expense and practical reasons it may be difficult for me to fly out to the UK for interviews. Would it be out of the question to request that I have my interviews with the firm's office in the region or via live link...or would it just be considered a hassle and my application subsequently binned? I'm worried that it may seem like I'm not a serious candidate if I'm unable to attend in person.
    It's certainly possible to have TC interviews while overseas - I had a phone interview (in place of an in-person interview) with a MC firm a few months ago. With that said, some firms might not want to offer you a training contract based solely on a phone interview; they often want to meet you in person at some point.

More generally, it's entirely reasonable to let them know what your situation is, and when/where you'd be available for interview. If they're interested, then it's worth the hassle on their part. I've never gotten the sense that being overseas makes you less of a "serious" candidate.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your applications!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexEcon)
    It's certainly possible to have TC interviews while overseas - I had a phone interview (in place of an in-person interview) with a MC firm a few months ago. With that said, some firms might not want to offer you a training contract based solely on a phone interview; they often want to meet you in person at some point.

More generally, it's entirely reasonable to let them know what your situation is, and when/where you'd be available for interview. If they're interested, then it's worth the hassle on their part. I've never gotten the sense that being overseas makes you less of a "serious" candidate.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your applications!

Thanks a lot for your response, that's given me some reassurance! How did your interview go?

Also, do you think there was anything in particular that stood out in your application? You were obviously worth the 'hassle'!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The interview went well, though I didn't get a TC with that firm in the end.

I haven't yet received a TC offer, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd say three things are helping so far:

1) A strong academic record.

2) Lots of proofreading.

3) A couple of activities that are a bit more unusual/interesting (in my case, taking part in University Challenge and teaching college students as part of my MA).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.