The Student Room Group

A Level Geography Coursework: Data Analysis

Hi

I have completed a new piece of coursework on Crime Management for my G3 re-sit in a few weeks time. I chose "Do Neighbourhood Watch Schemes still have a role to play in the Management of Crime" as my coursework title.

I have been told that I need to know how I would analyse data using a number of methods:

- Spearman's Rank
- Chi Squared Test
- Mann Whitney U Test

I used systematic sampling for a survey of neighbourhood's to see how many houses had security systems, and a random public questionnaire based on neighbourhood watch schemes.

How would I analyse these data sets with the proposed methods? I am not looking for a HUGE amount of detail, maybe just a short paragraph for each that I could use in the coursework section of my exam.
I have been told that Spearman's Rank cannot be used, but one of the other 2 more complex methods could be.

For chi squared you need an expected value. This tests shows how far from your expected value, your result are. I've only ever heard it used in biology. Like with genes, you'd expect a certain proportion of offspring to have one feature and a certain proportion to have another. So I don't see how you'd use it for your study.
Reply 2
Original post by Clare~Bear
For chi squared you need an expected value. This tests shows how far from your expected value, your result are. I've only ever heard it used in biology. Like with genes, you'd expect a certain proportion of offspring to have one feature and a certain proportion to have another. So I don't see how you'd use it for your study.

My friend thought the same thing, he said they used it in Biology but it can be used in Geography too, according to my teacher.
It can be used in other subjects but I don't see how you could for your kind of research.

I suppose if you found an average (%) of people across the country or your county from a reliable source, you could use that as your expected, then work out the % in your area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending