Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Possibly a really stupid question about taking time off in the middle of term time

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, one of my dreams is to go to Sweden, I've been teaching myself Swedish the past 3 years and it'd be absolutely fantastic beyond words for me to go there.

Another of my dreams is to go to Eurovision, and see the semi-finals and finals live, since I've been obsessed with Eurovision for as long as I can remember but never actually gone to the host country and seen it live.

Since Sweden won Eurovision yesterday, there's the opportunity to fulfil two of my dreams at once....but next year it'll almost 100% take place during university term time.

So would it be at all possible somehow to take a few, like 3 or so days out to go to Sweden and see the final? I would of course love to be able to take the whole week off to be able to see all the semi-finals and the final, and even better would be two weeks, so I have a week to just be in Sweden and be having the time of my life....but if it comes to it I'd still be absolutely elated with going for just a few days.

Any chance of this happening or am I just being an insane optimistic? :P
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Erm, lots of universities don't monitor attendance and you're an adult, can do what you like. Of course you can take time off :s
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aren't university exams around this time of year though? You don't want to miss one of those or on revision if your exam would be a day or two after you get back. Is it worth the risk?

If it wasn't anywhere near exam time then you could get notes from a friend.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is possible In fact, it is likely as it will be on the 18th May, so you'll have finished all your exams.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! Now I'm very excited!

Oh dear, just finally managed to find the university I'm hoping to go to's term dates....Eurovision week is the same week that semester 2 examinations begin....that's made that a bit more tricky. :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Follow your dreams
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, only 3 days. No one would care.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't have exams on those days, and can afford to miss the revision time (or whatever else you'll be missing out on), then of course you can.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    No one's going to notice, unless you miss an exam / they monitor tutorial attendance (and even then you can just send an email apologising for your "illness") so if you think you can afford to take the time off for revision, then yes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its not a good idea if it is near exams but you could easily do it if you wanted to. If you have to miss anything they record attendance for and they chase you up for it then make up a lie.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaixK)
    Right, one of my dreams is to go to Sweden, I've been teaching myself Swedish the past 3 years and it'd be absolutely fantastic beyond words for me to go there.

Another of my dreams is to go to Eurovision, and see the semi-finals and finals live, since I've been obsessed with Eurovision for as long as I can remember but never actually gone to the host country and seen it live.

Since Sweden won Eurovision yesterday, there's the opportunity to fulfil two of my dreams at once....but next year it'll almost 100% take place during university term time.

So would it be at all possible somehow to take a few, like 3 or so days out to go to Sweden and see the final? I would of course love to be able to take the whole week off to be able to see all the semi-finals and the final, and even better would be two weeks, so I have a week to just be in Sweden and be having the time of my life....but if it comes to it I'd still be absolutely elated with going for just a few days.

Any chance of this happening or am I just being an insane optimistic? :P
    chances are your classes will have finished so you will only need to be around for exams but most unis dont release exam timetables until a couple of months before exams- i didnt get my timetable til march for example and i know some people who got theres in april so you won't be able to book til quite late.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    chances are your classes will have finished so you will only need to be around for exams but most unis dont release exam timetables until a couple of months before exams- i didnt get my timetable til march for example and i know some people who got theres in april so you won't be able to book til quite late.
    This. We also did'trecieve our exam time tables until March and our finalised ones didn't come out until April (and I have friends whose exam dates DID change). If you can buy tickets arond that date an it doesn;t clash with exams, then hopefully it will be fine, but do NOT book anything until you have the dates. Hopefully though you will get lucky

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 28, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.