Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What word class is something that quantifies an adjective? e.g 'incredibly' beautiful

Announcements Posted on
Take our survey to be in with the chance of winning a £50 Amazon voucher or one of 5 x £10 Amazon vouchers 28-05-2016
  1. Offline

    I know an 'adverb' is something like ate 'quickly' but eat is from to eat which is a verb.

    So what is, 'incredibly' beautiful? 'Extremely' dangerous? (beautiful and dangerous being adjectives)

    Something that basically quantifies the level of the adjective? What is this called?
  2. Offline

  3. Offline

    Really? I always thought an adverb was something that quantifies the state of the verb hence it kind of being like 'add verb'..

    really this is the same for adjectives?????????????????????
  4. Offline

  5. Offline

    (Original post by 11:11)
    lol =/
  6. Offline

    Yeah, adverb is the term used to describe a word that modifies either a verb or an adjective (but not a noun).
  7. Offline

    Adjectives are words that describe nouns or pronouns. They may come before the word they describe (That is a cute puppy.) or they may follow the word they describe (That puppy is cute.).

    Adverbs are words that modify everything but nouns and pronouns. They modify adjectives, verbs, and other adverbs. A word is an adverb if it answers how, when, or where.

    Alright. I get it now. Lol

    I can't be blamed, they teach you to analyse language so in depth at A-Level English that I'm just... over.. analysing.. meh
  8. Offline

  9. Offline

    (Original post by shadab786ahmed)
    That's what they do (some of them..."quite" and others like it don't really intensify as such).

    In terms of form, they're adverbs of degree.
  10. Offline

  11. Offline

    It's called intensifier. Most definitely NOT an adverb.
  12. Offline

    An intensifier is an adverb.

    Adverbs don't really quantify, they qualify.
  13. Offline

    Maybe you could just google this question. In one of the links there you will find that intensifiers are a subclass of adverbs unrelated to the class of word it is modifying but defined by how it modifies it. By intensifying (or diminishing) the modified word, strangely enough.
  14. Offline

    They are 'degree adverbs'.

    The adjectival phrase, 'extremely dangerous', is made up of the degree adverb + the adjective.
  15. Offline

    Adverbs to some extent.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR

Don't be a half-term hermit

How to revise this week and still have a life

What's your biggest deadly sin?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.


Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.