Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is immigration perceived negatively?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Its mainly down to the Media
    Tell that to the sparks who can no longer support his family because he has to compete with guys working for 5 quid an hour.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amos36)
    Fairly sure on a question like this I'm gonna get lots of hate and negative ratings for saying this but tbh, I don't really care:

People who look down on immigrants tend to be ignorant racist pigs who would probably fit right in with the BNP and everything. Has any of you ever even met an immigrant? Most of them are genuine hard-working people.

I am as "British" as they come: white, middle-class, goes to a grammar school, Christian... do I care if someone is a different skin to me, or if they come from abroad? Immigrants don't "steal" British jobs - open your eyes people; or else you can just go believe whatever rubbish Rupert Murdoch preaches at you in his trashy newspaper columns.

Blaming all our problems on immigrants and other handy scapegoats; it's no different to what the Nazis did in the 30s and 40s... we've got an "Islamic problem" or "we've got a Paki problem"... it's so stupid and ignorant!! And yes, when you get to the extremes of that argument it leads to genocide...

To answer the question, immigration is perceived negatively by ignorant people who usually want to scapegoat some slightly different group of people for all their problems. It's irrational and intolerant. So forgive me if my overly-tolerant view offends you; the only thing I can't stand is blatant racism dressed up as logical and coherent argument when it is anything but.

And yes, it makes me a little annoyed, because I'm a simple person believing that a little love, a little peace and a little acceptance goes a long way!

*expects on all the hate I'll get*
    I really, really hate people like you.

You take your view, with no backing from stats, maybe a little personal experience or anecdotal evidence, and then declare you must be right and anyone who says different is ignorant, or stupid, or racist. People like you are an obstacle to human intelligence.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    You know what time it is..................

Milton Friedman time

makes sense...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fairly sure on a question like this I'm gonna get lots of hate and negative ratings for saying this but tbh, I don't really care:

People who look down on immigrants tend to be ignorant racist pigs who would probably fit right in with the BNP and everything. Has any of you ever even met an immigrant? Most of them are genuine hard-working people.

I am as "British" as they come: white, middle-class, goes to a grammar school, Christian... do I care if someone is a different skin to me, or if they come from abroad? Immigrants don't "steal" British jobs - open your eyes people; or else you can just go believe whatever rubbish Rupert Murdoch preaches at you in his trashy newspaper columns.

Blaming all our problems on immigrants and other handy scapegoats; it's no different to what the Nazis did in the 30s and 40s... we've got an "Islamic problem" or "we've got a Paki problem"... it's so stupid and ignorant!! And yes, when you get to the extremes of that argument it leads to genocide...

To answer the question, immigration is perceived negatively by ignorant people who usually want to scapegoat some slightly different group of people for all their problems. It's irrational and intolerant. So forgive me if my overly-tolerant view offends you; the only thing I can't stand is blatant racism dressed up as logical and coherent argument when it is anything but.

And yes, it makes me a little annoyed, because I'm a simple person believing that a little love, a little peace and a little acceptance goes a long way!

Believe it or not, I used to think like you. That was when I lived in Torbay (a practically identically ethnically made-up place to Bournemouth). I thought that there shouldn't be a problem - why shouldn't we just all get on? That was before I moved to London. Seriously, come and spend a few months in a diverse borough of London, and it will open your eyes. The thing is that your views work on paper, but in practice, it's entirely different: people get alienated from their nationality and society; and it turns out that many of the immigrants are 10x more racist than any indigenous Brit - there's an area near where I live, where non-Somalians literally fear leaving their homes after dark. I have one friend who has been stabbed in that area for not being Somalian, and another who has been mugged for the same reason. Letting in so many immigrants with no chance of social mobility has created ghettoes, and it's worsened racial divides beyond all recognition.

It's very easy to talk about why mass immigration should work on paper when you live in an area entirely unaffected by it; move to an area that's 20-30% white, and you'll feel very differently.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm against mass immigration personally, not immigration. There's a difference to letting in skilled workers who can pay their way than letting in unskilled workers who drain our resources and cause problems.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)

Immigrant from Hong Kong/Japan wants to study for Masters - Yes Please.

Africans, Muslims, and working class/non educated non-eu = No Thanks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    Immigrant from Hong Kong/Japan wants to study for Masters - Yes Please.

Africans, Muslims, and working class/non educated non-eu = No Thanks.
    Hehe, you made it too easy for me.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Believe it or not, I used to think like you. That was when I lived in Torbay (a practically identically ethnically made-up place to Bournemouth). I thought that there shouldn't be a problem - why shouldn't we just all get on? That was before I moved to London. Seriously, come and spend a few months in a diverse borough of London, and it will open your eyes. The thing is that your views work on paper, but in practice, it's entirely different: people get alienated from their culture and nationality; and it turns out that many of the immigrants are 10x more racist than any indigenous Brit. Letting in so many immigrants with no chance of social mobility has created ghettoes, and it's worsened racial divides beyond all recognition.
    Isn't it just though?

People who think like the OP have trouble keeping up with the notion that asian/black on white racism/hatred/crime, let alone that most of the most illiberal people in this country are these asian/black? Sure we have the neo-nazi's, an extreme, extreme minority. But If we took a poll, from 5 groups, White europeans, Black Africans, N.African Arabs/Arabs/Asian Mulsims, Oriental Asians, and then Indians, the people who make up the fabric of the UK (since there are hardly any people from the Americas), well ... its just guess work, but in my opinion - we would find that the most racist, the most homophobic, the most sexist, those who hate other religious groups and hate secularism, would come from the group(s) that, if a white european criticised ... would be labelled something.

Why do we target and marginalise Bigots in the BNP, when the most vicious and potent intolerance comes from our non-white, non-oriental communities.

Is that how far the termites have come? Is that how far big business and their progressive chumps in the media and government have engrained themselves into the institutions of society?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    The royals, the governments, the elite etc. don't care about white working or middle class people.
    They think we are scum, and just as bad as 'the others'.

We are here to vote for a false sense of freedom, and pay taxes to fund their wars and global interests.

When was it ever good? look back at the Victorian times etc, any time, it's always been **** for the majority.

The sooner we all realise this the better.
    Comparing the life of the average man in 2012 to the same man from 1840-1900ish is a bit mad, imperialist activities have fallen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Open all borders, the concept of national identity and patriotism is ridiculous anyway.

This will never happen and would never work due to simple human nature, but it's a nice thought.

In the meantime, DEY TOOK OUR JAWBS
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because a lot of people are living depressing lives and need a scapegoat to blame for their misfortune. The reason they can't find a job isn't because they left school at 16 and have more kids than GCSE's, it's because the bloody foreigners took 'em all. We'd be totally fine if we deported all the foreign doctors. Screw college, university and medical school, we're british and that is all the qualifications we need!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano1)
    well of course life is MUCH better now for us

but the rich have got richer. ahh u know what I mean. its 3.10am.
    So has everyone else.

Whenever we try achieve more equality all it means is the middle merge with the working class and the underclass get richer.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:

Please don't insult us.

It's simple enough maths.. Supply and demand. When there's low demand, you don't keep supply as high, simple. Yet we have some of the weakest immigration restrictions of all MEDC's, despite the unemployment rate of the indigenous population being higher than the job provision.

I don't mind immigration, and I don't give two ****s where somebody's from. But I do think we could do with some exclusivity, especially since we don't even need this many immigrants.

edit: why is this idea so radical anyway? Australia and the US both exercise far stricter immigration controls, and they're pretty much as close as you can get to the UK in terms of economics and culture.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not that it's bad in itself, but rather that we don't actually have any control over it due to our membership of the EU. It removes the legitimacy of our immigration policy and that leaves people very frustrated especially with all the economic and social problems that are happening right now irrespective of it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    In a fairly recent Citizenship survey (asked by the government), when asked about immigration, 50% of respondents chose that immigration should be "reduced a lot", and 75% replied either it should be "reduced a lot" or "reduced a little" Only 19% of respondents said that immigration levels should "remain the same", and only 6% chose "increased a little" or "increased a lot".

In a 2007 Ipsos Mori poll, 12% said immigration should be stopped altogether, whilst 68% responded that there were too many immigrants in Britain.

My personal opinion on the issue is that immigration brings overall benefits to the economy, But these figures have lead me to ask, why is immigration perceived so negatively? Is it justified?
    well can you see any sort of problem with any amount of immigration or is it always 'more better'? Could it be increased without limit or do you think we'd hit a snag? Do some strata of society benefit more than others from immigration?, perhaps even if the net effect could be shown to be positive, there is a cost being born unequally by some sections of society? Since we're a democracy we should perhaps listen to those people too eh?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaplian)
    Open all borders, the concept of national identity and patriotism is ridiculous anyway.

This will never happen and would never work due to simple human nature, but it's a nice thought.

In the meantime, DEY TOOK OUR JAWBS
    what sort of job do you have / expect to have and how would you feel about greatly increased competition for it lowering the wage or making it much harder for you to get hired?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, like I said, I was expecting hate from the outset. Unlike some people I don't give a monkey how many "negative ratings" I get.

Seriously, you seem to think I live in bubble wrap. I've been to Bradford many times. My girlfriend used to live there and I got attacked there by an intolerant group of pigs who tried to make out I was gay, despite the fact I was travelling with a large group of women and he was in an all-male group. For the people using scare stories about nasty Muslims and Pakistanis going round attacking people, that's just misrepresentative. I know many Muslims and Pakistanis who work bloody hard to provide for their families.

In terms of "not understanding the problem" - it took me many months to find a job and when I did it was horrendous; a telesales job on minimum wage in a firm that ought to be on Rogue Traders for deliberately lying to people. I quit that job first day and it took me many many more rejections before I came across a stroke of luck. Some of you no doubt must have taken even longer to find jobs, but you can't just blame it on "doz nasty immigrants stealin our jawbs".

Of course jobs are tight right now, hence why I'm so staunchly against the current government's economic policy.

"Migrants are viewed in a positive light by London employers across a number of indicators with 68 per cent saying they often work harder than their UK counterparts. Similarly, 72 per cent of companies say that migrants are prepared to do the jobs that British citizens won't." ~ London Chambers of Commerce Survey (2010)

And yes, I do study economics so I know about supply and demand. Immigrants work hard in this country and do the jobs we often wouldn't even do. The real problem is that British people are not being given the skills they need to compete in the labour market. We need better education, better apprenticeships and then the problems will ease. Kicking all the immigrants out isn't going to help anything.

I'm not arrogant or ignorant, but I just happen to hate it when the right-wing press when they run around in a frenzy saying that immigration is the reason for all our problems, when the majority of immigration is actually beneficial to the UK economy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Marshall)
    x
    Man, you put it better than I did. In hard times, people always blame the immigrants - it's what Hitler did, it's what Mosley did, it's what everyone seems to do when they need someone to scapegoat.

Yes, I'd agree with that condition too; they ought to speak English before they arrive. And if they only come here and cause trouble, then yes, they ought to be deported, but in the majority of cases immigrants find jobs, work hard, integrate into society and contribute positively to the economy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Believe it or not, I used to think like you. That was when I lived in Torbay (a practically identically ethnically made-up place to Bournemouth). I thought that there shouldn't be a problem - why shouldn't we just all get on? That was before I moved to London. Seriously, come and spend a few months in a diverse borough of London, and it will open your eyes. The thing is that your views work on paper, but in practice, it's entirely different: people get alienated from their nationality and society; and it turns out that many of the immigrants are 10x more racist than any indigenous Brit - there's an area near where I live, where non-Somalians literally fear leaving their homes after dark. I have one friend who has been stabbed in that area for not being Somalian, and another who has been mugged for the same reason. Letting in so many immigrants with no chance of social mobility has created ghettoes, and it's worsened racial divides beyond all recognition.

It's very easy to talk about why mass immigration should work on paper when you live in an area entirely unaffected by it; move to an area that's 20-30% white, and you'll feel very differently.
    It works both ways round, i live in a city which is 97% white. How would you think i would be treated by the God like white race you are describing? I guess im living in a large city ghetto?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    It works both ways round, i live in a city which is 97%. How would you think i would be treated by the God like white race you are describing? I guess im living in a large city ghetto?
    People are just people, my friend. There's no such thing as "the God-like white race" - after all, it is notable that we British created the concentration camp back in the Boer War - a time we'd rather forget. In my humble view, God loves every person on this good earth; black or white, Jew, Gentile or Greek. It's why I love being in London - meeting so many different people. One day I hope to go and live back there. Out of interest, where do you live?
Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.