Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why is immigration perceived negatively?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically, the general opinion is that immigration, an therefore immigrants, are only seen in a positive light if you're middle class (or live in a 'middle class area') or above? If you're working class or live in a working class area, then you're opinion is negative?

One solution (which I think has been done before; the point system) would therefore be to only allow immigrants into Britain with skills that will benefit Britain. Another, to allow all immigrants into the country but ensure that they know that to become a British citizen, they must integrate and failure to do so to government standards will mean they face deportation (do not ask how the gov. will monitor this, it's just a theory for now). Forced integration-not quite, just a gentle push by the government in the right direction to a Great-er Britain.

Just to add, would people refrain from using the term '3rd world' please, it's a derogatory, non-pc term with so many negative, unnecessary, connotations.

The world is ours to share, if everyone wants to cram onto one tiny island, then so be it, but we must face the consequences together, instead of scapegoating.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by internetguru)
    Yes I have been to the immigrant town I go to college in. There are areas where 90% of the people are from India or Poland.
    You go to college? :eek:
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Steevee)
    I really, really hate people like you.

You take your view, with no backing from stats, maybe a little personal experience or anecdotal evidence, and then declare you must be right and anyone who says different is ignorant, or stupid, or racist. People like you are an obstacle to human intelligence.
    Is the pot calling the kettle black?

And never EVER assume that you speak for the rest of us despite the fact you have a few nice shiny green gems (a product of too much spare time on your hands).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I really, really hate people like you.

You take your view, with no backing from stats, maybe a little personal experience or anecdotal evidence, and then declare you must be right and anyone who says different is ignorant, or stupid, or racist. People like you are an obstacle to human intelligence.
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    Is the pot calling the kettle black?
    I'm not into the whole "hating thing". But I do find it funny when people say such heated things.

I'm an "obstacle to human intelligence" - that's definitely one to go on the CV. I'm not the next Stephen Hawking and I don't think I'm better or more intelligent than anyone else - but I'm not stupid either.

And like my "Exalted and Worshipped" friend above said, where are your stats to prove that my opinion is point blank wrong? :L
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Locke)
    Last week I asked a local business if they were recruiting. The owner said, "Why would I hire you when I can get a Pole for half the price?"

This is why you don't get it.
    There is a point there though- The market itself is competitive, and there are people willing to do good jobs at low prices, hence their labour is better value. Why should a business, who's aim is to make a profit, hire someone with a rather high cost, simply because he's British?

Although it is more than that. My dad is a business owner, and despite being asian, still hires english people to work for him- its more because they are reliable, something that a lot of british kids aren't really these days.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    I was actually referring to a series of previous posts and personal insults you're learned friend has made in the post and questioned what right he has to deride anyone for the level of their intelligence.

I never said you're opinion is wrong frankly you're entitled to you're opinion and I couldn't care less what you think as ultimately you're not in any position to influence/change current society or trends (and neither am I) so deal with it.

I don't buy this crap about "erosion of British culture and values". If British culture is being "eroded" then it's because the "indigenous people" or the current generation are doing very little to preserve their "cultural values" in favour of mix of global/americanised culture which is neither a good or bad thing.
    The comment was aimed at Steevee, not you. I was in essence saying thanks and I agree. Hence why I decided to edit it and tag Steevee in it.

I don't buy that crap either, hence why I bothered to post on this thread in the first place. Totally agree.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Amos36)
    I'm not into the whole "hating thing". But I do find it funny when people say such heated things.

I'm an "obstacle to human intelligence" - that's definitely one to go on the CV. I'm not the next Stephen Hawking and I don't think I'm better or more intelligent than anyone else - but I'm not stupid either.

And like my "Exalted and Worshipped" friend above said, where are your stats to prove that my opinion is point blank wrong? :L
    Did I read your post wrong or you read mine wrong and vice-versa? I thought I was supporting you!?
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Nightstar-27)
    I'm against mass immigration personally, not immigration. There's a difference to letting in skilled workers who can pay their way than letting in unskilled workers who drain our resources and cause problems.
    Well economies need skilled workers to grow.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha - your post about our "learned friend" seems to have disappeared... despite the fact I found it rather amusing. :L

Yes, we are both on the same side of the fence. And being a vegetarian is cool!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see you reply to my points OP.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens to Immigrants
    a) They work - Then they are said to be 'taking British jobs'
    b) They dont work - They are coming here to live off our benefit system
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_Natalie_x)
    Here we go again...

These are the facts: Immigration is not a bad thing... in moderation. Unfortunately a state policy of multiculturalism, mass immigration and allowing illegal immigration over the years 1997-2010 irreversibly harmed this country, leading to a huge increase in crime, disease, terrorism and attempted terrorism (check all of these figures out if you don't believe me; the violent crime one is particularly disturbing).
    It is single-minded to blame all of these on immigration. Have you read Freakonomics by chance?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemnomnom)
    It is single-minded to blame all of these on immigration. Have you read Freakonomics by chance?
    Not gonna lie - Freakonomics is such a good book. Along with "Free Lunch" by David Smith, it's what got me hooked on economics.

Totally agree, what a lamentable thing that I can't like your post because I've run out of likes for today... and it's only 10:52am... fml...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They feel that thier country is being overun and that they are becoming minorities in thier own country, lets face it i would feel the same if that was my country.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    British people are not hard working or even willing to do jobs. As soon as they get the job, they want vacations. Nepalis, Romainanins and other nationalites work much harder than you stupid lot will ever feel, that is why Buisness tend to go towards those people because they want to work, unlike you fools that will ignore the truth. Tell me, do you wake up at 6:00 in the morning and go to work? No. Thats what these people do. It is the refusal of British people to live with Immigrants.

But you once ruled a Empire, you once ruled India , when they asked for independence, you certainly refused them and it was only in 1947 did they get it. You once ruled around 1/4 of the world, the French being second. So you thought it perfectly right '' Since we have a empire, we have to rule the world. ''

So, you can't really justify that you're being swamped. The USA is a country made entirely out of immigrants. They've had to get the civil rights as of today. But they're still living well. And plus if you reduced the reduction rate of immigrants, what you'd be seeing is British Tourists being kicked out of these countries, and foreign business will leave the UK, making it into even more trouble.

And the reason immigrants have families, the person , is because they're from Asia wanting to continue their family line. And the other half to claim benefits. So really, let them do so.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QTpie118)
    So basically, the general opinion is that immigration, an therefore immigrants, are only seen in a positive light if you're middle class (or live in a 'middle class area') or above? If you're working class or live in a working class area, then you're opinion is negative?

One solution (which I think has been done before; the point system) would therefore be to only allow immigrants into Britain with skills that will benefit Britain. Another, to allow all immigrants into the country but ensure that they know that to become a British citizen, they must integrate and failure to do so to government standards will mean they face deportation (do not ask how the gov. will monitor this, it's just a theory for now). Forced integration-not quite, just a gentle push by the government in the right direction to a Great-er Britain.

Just to add, would people refrain from using the term '3rd world' please, it's a derogatory, non-pc term with so many negative, unnecessary, connotations.

The world is ours to share, if everyone wants to cram onto one tiny island, then so be it, but we must face the consequences together, instead of scapegoating.
    Do you honestly think that anyone cares about using non-PC language.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst multiculturalism is a good thing and can bring many benefits to a society or civilisation, there should be more... restrictive criteria on who can come here to stay, based on skills that we as a country need. Speaking English, for example - immigrants should have a high level of competence when it comes to speaking the language. We'd be expected to speak, for example, Arabic, or Mandarin if we moved to the respective countries. Our economy would benefit from highly skilled immigrants taking jobs in sectors which they have a high level of education and knowledge in, for example in engineering, medicine and banking.

Also, they should have to follow our social norms and rules if they move to our country, and maybe even expect that things may offend them, but they would have to deal with it. EG: a British woman would be expected to dress modestly in Saudi Arabia, even more so if she decides to move there. We may not agree with it, but then surely we would be sensible enough to not emigrate if we didn't like the culture.

And then also our media needs to stop stereotyping, and people in general need to be more open minded. There needs to be less emphasis on race or religion, and although this sounds really, really corny, we need to look at the person within, and not what the media says about people.

Finally, also an obvious no-tolerance policy for illegal immigration. (Found to be illegal = lifelong ban from the country.)

TL;DR: Multiculturalism is good, but we shouldn't accept people who won't benefit us too, also people need to stop stereotyping and believing everything the media says.

Now, time to get my point ripped to shreds
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem is MODERATION, as with all things.

The worst thing New Labour done was to basically lift all restrictions and let way more than what this country can hold (we're massively over-populated not just due to immigration but that is still a factor) and thus have put race relation back about fifty years as the over-population leads to less jobs. All people want is for the borders to get under control, and for some REASONABLE immigration levels of skilled workers who can benefit our economy.

Is it that so hard to do and agree with? No I don't think so.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    what sort of job do you have / expect to have and how would you feel about greatly increased competition for it lowering the wage or making it much harder for you to get hired?
    I intend to practice at The Bar and there are few jobs that require more of a commitment, only 1 in 6 people who complete the BPTC will EVER gain pupillage.

Don't talk to me about job competition. My chosen area of work is one of the hardest to break into in the country and, moreover, it isn't particularly dominated by immigrants so unlike yourself i have no-one to blame!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amos36)
    Man, you put it better than I did. In hard times, people always blame the immigrants - it's what Hitler did, it's what Mosley did, it's what everyone seems to do when they need someone to scapegoat.

Yes, I'd agree with that condition too; they ought to speak English before they arrive. And if they only come here and cause trouble, then yes, they ought to be deported, but in the majority of cases immigrants find jobs, work hard, integrate into society and contribute positively to the economy.
    Exactly. Hitler and Mosley did this always. Instead of deportation, send them back, refuse entry into the UK. Immigrants come to countries to have a better life, work hard, they'll always integrate and contribute postiviely to the society.
Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.