The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I know my parents have sex, it's just that I don't understand why the expired condoms are there, especially when I'm pretty sure my brother's birth was accidental (I did overhear them once). I remember my dad becoming aggravated a lot during that period when my mum was pregnant too. Financially we couldn't cope with another child, I've heard that from them before.

So I should just not say anything then? I'm okay with them having sex but I'm just a bit on the edge if they're doing it where it's likely the condoms could easily fail...
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
I was looking for my wallet (my 4-year-old brother likes to hide my stuff all over the place), and while looking in my parents' room I looked inside one of the drawers and I found some condoms, lubricant and pregnancy tests. But the boxes looked old, one box still had the plastic wrapping on it, but one of them had an expiry date of Jan 2009 on it... I don't know what to make of this? I don't want to bring it up with them, but surely they know they shouldn't use a condom that is over 3 years past its expiry date? Why is it still there? It's not like they just forgot about it either, we've only just recently moved house so they deliberately took it with them. I think my brother might have been an accidental pregnancy, I'm not sure. What should I do? :frown:

It sounds like your concern is more the fact that they're expired, so you should definitely sit down and talk to them:

"Mum, dad... I know you're adults and have been having sex for at least 20+ years, but you do know that you shouldn't use condoms that are out of date. That means they don't work. Also, I'm assuming this means that my brother was a mistake... I know you're living with the consequences of your actions, and I applaud you for taking responsibility. I just wanted you to know that if you ever need someone to talk to about it with, I'm here to listen.

"Also, I'm going to assume this means you love me more. Just for the record."

Let us know how it goes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by emsul
not if they are out of date...

how can a piece of rubber be out of date? whats gonna happen?
Reply 23
Throw the expired ones out and when they find they have no condoms they as responsible adults will buy new ones.
Original post by naman
steal them and use them mate.

Nothing like putting on a condom and realising your dad was going to use it to **** your mum.
Don's say anything -_-
Original post by naman

Is that a serious question dude? The condom might break, but that's no big deal...
Original post by naman

presumably it loses elasticity over time so becomes more likely to break
Original post by naman

Was your sex ed really that poor? The properties of latex change over time and in different conditions. Condoms are only suitable for use during sex when they are in a certain condition, if they are old (and therefore out of date) or if you store them in too cold or too warm conditions (such as in your wallet or in a suitcase on an aeroplane in the luggage hold where it gets cold) then the properties of the latex will change and they will be increasingly more likely to break.
Reply 29
Original post by naman

Chemical changes over time (plus the spermicide is very mildly corrosive) = latex(not rubber) losing elasticity = prone to rip when stretched. Sex stretches condom therefore condom rips resulting in 18 years of being skint and underappreciated.
I find it strange how you were so touched by this even that you had to make a thread about it.
Reply 31
Be grateful you didn't stumble upon a shildo.
Reply 32
Hmmm....parents are people too you know! They have the right to a sex life
Reply 33
Your parents enjoy to F**K deal with it!
Reply 34
Don't do anything, it's none of your business...
It's not as bad as what my mum has in her draw, barf.
Reply 35
Original post by xbethany
Don't do anything, it's none of your business...
It's not as bad as what my mum has in her draw, barf.

Share ... :P
Surely they've had more sex since 2009 so that if condoms were their main method of contraception they'd have bought more... I think the most likely explanation is they're using another method (and therefore probably more reliable than condoms) and so no longer use them, they haven't bothered to chuck out the old ones either. Condoms have like a 4yr expiry date on them anyway so they would have been bought before your brother came along.

In any case, I reckon the number of people in a long term relationship using condoms as their sole method of contraception must be pretty low, not that I have any stats to give, just my reckoning.

Oh and as the above poster said, the menopause is a real possibility too.
Reply 37
Troll :troll:
maybe they are waiting for their threesome partner to get out of prison?
Nice! Now you don't need to buy your own OR let your parents know you've lost your virginity!
Just take the condoms from them, they won't say a thing due to it being awkward and you profit through free condom and avoiding awkward conversations.

Win all round.

Latest

Trending

Trending