Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tuition fee loan

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'd just like to ask somebody when I have to apply for the tuition fee loan. It's the first time I'll be applying so I'm a bit confused about the deadline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm
    This page says: "Apply now to make sure you get your money at the start of your course. The deadline for new full-time students is 31 May 2012."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...es/DG_10035219
    This page says: "The deadlines for 2012/13 applications are:
    full-time and part-time students - up to nine months after the start of the academic year"

These two quite contradict each other. Which one is correct?

(I'm a non-UK, EU national)
    Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardell)
    Hi.

I'd just like to ask somebody when I have to apply for the tuition fee loan. It's the first time I'll be applying so I'm a bit confused about the deadline.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm
    This page says: "Apply now to make sure you get your money at the start of your course. The deadline for new full-time students is 31 May 2012."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...es/DG_10035219
    This page says: "The deadlines for 2012/13 applications are:
    full-time and part-time students - up to nine months after the start of the academic year"

These two quite contradict each other. Which one is correct?

Thank you.
    the first deadline is the latest time you can apply to get money for the start of your course - if you don't apply before then, you'll have to come up with the £9,000 to pay uni yourself, as you won't get your student finance in time!

if you're applying for uni starting this october, you need to apply right now, this second.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As above, the first deadline is the one you need to adhere to so you can get your £9000 paid to the university.

I believe the second one is for maintenance loans- you can wait until after you get in to get that if you so wish.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)
    the first deadline is the latest time you can apply to get money for the start of your course - if you don't apply before then, you'll have to come up with the £9,000 to pay uni yourself, as you won't get your student finance in time!

if you're applying for uni starting this october, you need to apply right now, this second.

Ah ****... I am sure this note: " up to nine months after the start of the academic year" was on the site even a half a year ago and I've been sure I had more time, until now.

Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ****... I am sure this note: " up to nine months after the start of the academic year" was on the site even a half a year ago and I've been sure I had more time, until now.

Thank you.
    i don't think many people apply that late, it would be stupid!
    you've got a few days, so get it done now. if you need help, phone them.
    good luck!

0845 300 50 90
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i don't think many people apply that late, it would be stupid!
    you've got a few days, so get it done now. if you need help, phone them.
    good luck!

0845 300 50 90
    I really didn't have time to care about the loan because of my finals.

I've just filled the application form. I'm going to have a copy of my ID certified tomorrow and hopefully, the form will be delivered before the deadline.

Thank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't have time to care about the loan because of my finals.

I've just filled the application form. I'm going to have a copy of my ID certified tomorrow and hopefully, the form will be delivered before the deadline.

Thank you.
    they don't give out very much information about these things which is why so many people are in the same position as you! however ucas sent me an email in november to say that applications were opening, i don't know if you got that.
    i sent my application in december!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    they don't give out very much information about these things which is why so many people are in the same position as you! however ucas sent me an email in november to say that applications were opening, i don't know if you got that.
    i sent my application in december!
    They did send me such an email, but it was on 1 May and it only included a link to the application forms.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    so after the online stuff you have to send stuff off??
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

You may not get it on time, not you definitely won't. Also, you won't need to find £9k yourself; the money doesn't get paid to the universities until December/January time, and in most cases even late finance is done by that point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You may not get it on time, not you definitely won't. Also, you won't need to find £9k yourself; the money doesn't get paid to the universities until December/January time, and in most cases even late finance is done by that point.
    my sf says that the first bit of the tuition fee loan is paid on October 17th - £2250.

but yes, it is 'may' rather than 'won't'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hardell;37794003

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Can you send a paper copy of the form? Where do you get an application form from. I have 3 days to fill mine in now!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 28, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.