The Student Room Group

Which a-levels for economics degree?

Hi all, im currently in my first year of A-Levels and im taking Chemistry, Biology and Economics.
Im just wondering, are these a-levels suitable for an Economics Degree?
I was thinking at the end of this academic year i could drop biology and pick up business studies and work my socks off and complete the whole Business A-level in 1 year.
So i would end up with 3 alevels in chemistry, economics and business and an AS in biology. I would want to preferably go to a Russell group uni.
What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are you only doing 3 AS levels? :s-smilie: that would not be a good idea, universities see too much of an overlap between business and economics. I don't see you having much hope without 4AS levels, but you might be able to have a shot at some of the lower ones.
Original post by eesaa94
hi all, im currently in my first year of a-levels and im taking chemistry, biology and economics.
Im just wondering, are these a-levels suitable for an economics degree?
I was thinking at the end of this academic year i could drop biology and pick up business studies and work my socks off and complete the whole business a-level in 1 year.
So i would end up with 3 alevels in chemistry, economics and business and an as in biology. I would want to preferably go to a russell group uni.
What do you guys think?

what about maths??????????
Why not just take 4 AS-levels like everyone else in the first year?
Reply 4
Lack of maths will hurt you for straight economics.
No those subjects completely rule out economics for you from any decent uni and most others too.

First of all you need maths to A-Level for nearly all economics courses, secondly unless there's an exceptional reason you can't do four AS levels, you should be, and thirdly ideally you'd be taking an essay subject like history, although it isn't as vital as the first two points.
Reply 6
I actually dropped maths :/ dam!
Is maths a necessity? So what would you guys recommend me to do with my alevels in Chem, bio and economics?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
You should definitely do maths dude, all the UK and Dutch uni's I applied to either had maths as a requirement or had a maths entrance test
Hi. The top universities for economics are ruled out if you don't have maths all the way to A2. However, you can apply for some good economics courses that are in ranked outside the top 10. These courses do not generally require economics as a prerequisit, and actually business wouldn't be particularly helpful, unless you are very interested in business in the context of economics. Otherwise a biology a level might even be considered better as a traditional course. To do maths at AS level, would also be advantageous for most good economics courses, even if you don't have it all the way to a2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Why not just take 4 AS-levels like everyone else in the first year?

I did do maths but found it difficult so I decided to drop witty and focus on my other subjects.

Reply 10
Original post by Presenttime
Hi. The top universities for economics are ruled out if you don't have maths all the way to A2. However, you can apply for some very good economics courses that are in ranked 6-10, but not the top 5. These courses do not generally require economics as a prerequisit, and actually business wouldn't be particularly helpful, unless you are very interested in business in the context of economics. Otherwise a biology a level might even be considered better as a traditional course. To do maths at AS level, would also be advantageous for most good economics courses, even if you don't have it all the way to a2.

Thanks for the reply, the thing is I dropped maths earlier this year. So what your trying to say is that Chem, bio and economics are fine for a lower ranked uni like manchester?

Original post by eesaa94
Thanks for the reply, the thing is I dropped maths earlier this year. So what your trying to say is that Chem, bio and economics are fine for a lower ranked uni like manchester?

I think this varies from university to university. For manchester, having examined the website, they would actually want you to do business studies, which seems pretty strange to me, I'm not sure if this is the usual selection procedure.
I think overall doing business studies would open up your options a bit as some universities prefer such subjects to be taken. But doing maths would open up far more options
Perhaps your college might allow you to take as maths, instead of a2 biology
Reply 14
Original post by Presenttime
Perhaps your college might allow you to take as maths, instead of a2 biology

Yeh they will but i don't see the point in just doing an AS in maths if you know what I mean. What other degree options would you recommend if I didn't pick up business? These are tough times!!

Original post by eesaa94
Hi all, im currently in my first year of A-Levels and im taking Chemistry, Biology and Economics.
I was thinking at the end of this academic year i could drop biology and pick up business studies and work my socks off and complete the whole Business A-level in 1 year.
So i would end up with 3 alevels in chemistry, economics and business and an AS in biology. I would want to preferably go to a Russell group uni.
What do you guys think?

Business has got nothing to do with Economics, so you can rule that out. What you REALLY need is Maths, and preferably F. Maths too. You're going to struggle immensely in getting in anywhere without having done it, so I'd get in contact to ask if there are other ways for you to get in (e.g. doing Maths in your second year and agreeing to attend catchup lessons etc.) Maths is normally compulsory, along with F. Maths at many unis. This is the reason I hate how schools push you to make a decision without knowing what unis will want from you for certain courses.
Reply 16
when i went to a UCAS convention, LSE claimed they only required maths at a level, so economics isn't needed if you apply there, maths is, so if you're planning on applying then, not to sound mean, but you should reconsider as you don't have maths, but you can always double check and ask them :smile:
Original post by eesaa94
What do you guys think?

I believe that Maths is a requirement for lots of universities to read economics.

Cambridge's website says that "A-Level Economics and Further Maths are also considered useful preparation but are not essential".

It also says that "A-Level Business Studies can be helpful if you are unable to take economics".

To summarise, I don't think taking Business will give you an advantage for top universities and it will be much better to take up Mathematics A-Level if you want to do a Economics degree.
Is economics definitely the degree you want to do ? With your A levels, a science degree would open more doors. However if you are not that interested in science as a career, there would be no point!
Reply 19
Original post by Junaid96
Business has got nothing to do with Economics, so you can rule that out. What you REALLY need is Maths, and preferably F. Maths too. You're going to struggle immensely in getting in anywhere without having done it, so I'd get in contact to ask if there are other ways for you to get in (e.g. doing Maths in your second year and agreeing to attend catchup lessons etc.) Maths is normally compulsory, along with F. Maths at many unis. This is the reason I hate how schools push you to make a decision without knowing what unis will want from you for certain courses.

Yeh I don't think I can get in without maths however at manchester they allow you to do economics and business studies with another alevel, I think this will best suit me don't u think?

Quick Reply