Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can only squat with raised heels?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    hamstring stretches and ankle mobility work/calf stretches. You need more (passive) dorsiflexion in your ankles to not fall on your arse when you squat, but your achilles tendons are tight.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem too! Interested in the responses ... I asked a guy who worked at the gym once and he suggested my back might not be flexible enough, no idea how accurate this is though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you really need a raised heel even after doing mobility work then it is fine. Squatting in chuck taylors isn't for everyone.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stretch, get flexible.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This shows a lack of ankle mobility. It is quite common. Perform stretches for your calves (dorsiflexion). Squatting with the plate under the heel is not going to be feasible in the long run, so you need to either improve ankle mobility or get some lifting shoes for the squats (which have a raised heel). For now, you can "cheat" by turning your feet out more when you squat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do your feet point outwards when you squat?
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got the opposite problem. I'm flexible enough to go right down to calves touching the back of my thighs whilst maintaining a straight back, but then it's so much further to go up that I can't lift as much. Hard to work out where parallel is without a mirror.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is not necessary to squat in flat shoes. Olympic lifters all squat with roughly a one inch heel (some differentiation by brand/model etc.) There is nothing inherently wrong with it if it allows you to get the training effect you want.

Nevertheless, you should probably still take HFerguson/Alex Tait's advice to work on your ankle and hip mobility.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I've got the opposite problem. I'm flexible enough to go right down to calves touching the back of my thighs whilst maintaining a straight back, but then it's so much further to go up that I can't lift as much. Hard to work out where parallel is without a mirror.
    why the **** would choose going parallel over going ATG?!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta316)
    For now, you can "cheat" by turning your feet out more when you squat.
    not a good idea - the more turned out the feet are, the more likely the ankles are to evert instead of dorsiflex, and it's very common for knees to collapse in if ankles are pronated.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFerguson)
    why the **** would choose going parallel over going ATG?!
    I thought it was too low?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I thought it was too low?
    All about the ROM

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.