The Student Room Group

English Language - Passage for comment

Ok, I have an English exam in the upcoming week and one of the papers I have to write is Passsages for comment, where I have to basically comment on the style and language of the passages given. Now, I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an example of their work, as in, if they have ever done such a thing in class (I am sure many of you would have), I would be very grateful if someone could post their work - if it was a soft copy - or, if possible, a scan, if it was a hard copy, along with the passage that they analysed. At the least, if this is not possible, could someone please give some hints on how to approach such questions?

I am writing CIE AS Level English Language, if that is any use to you.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Come on, does no one even have hints? By the way, if you are not writing the same board as me, it doesn't matter because I am just looking for how to answer questions when we have to comment on the style and language of a text and, therefore, the board does not really matter. So, even if you don't write the same board, if you have any examples of your answers to such a question, I would be highly indebted. Here is an example of a paper, if this might help one of you (or, perhaps, you could look at it and give me some ideas about what how you would comment on the style and language of the essay):

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bogqv4yzd8likr
Reply 2
this was an assignment I did a few weeks ago and it got me an A.
hope it helps :smile:
Original post by Welz143
this was an assignment I did a few weeks ago and it got me an A.
hope it helps :smile:

Thanks! I am really grateful for that. :biggrin: IF you might have anymore, please send them to me as well. I haven't really got a teacher for this and, so, I have literally no experience of how to tackle the paper.

By the way, can you please give me a link (or just name) which paper you have got this from because I need to have the text you are commenting on as well. Sorry for the trouble.

Once again, thanks a ton! :biggrin:
Hi, I'm taking this paper from the CIE board tomorrow...basically what you have to do is identify the genre, style, purpose and audience of the peace and mention that in the first paragraph, that should give you a few points at start. Then you want to look at both general as well as individual phrases and how they effect the tone, the mood, the message brought across. Also try not to write TOO much, because you need to answer 2 of these questions as well as the part B's in only 2 hours so you might find yourself tight on time. Here is an example booklet provided by CIE, hope it helps.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/English%20-%20Language%20(8693)/AS_8693_Standards_Booklet_-_July_2006.pdf
Original post by Albert123456
Hi, I'm taking this paper from the CIE board tomorrow...basically what you have to do is identify the genre, style, purpose and audience of the peace and mention that in the first paragraph, that should give you a few points at start. Then you want to look at both general as well as individual phrases and how they effect the tone, the mood, the message brought across. Also try not to write TOO much, because you need to answer 2 of these questions as well as the part B's in only 2 hours so you might find yourself tight on time. Here is an example booklet provided by CIE, hope it helps.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/English%20-%20Language%20(8693)/AS_8693_Standards_Booklet_-_July_2006.pdf

Thanks for all those tips! :biggrin: Really appreciate them. :biggrin:

If you have any of your own works, I would also appreciate them! :biggrin:
Well, I attached a few, however these are from a few months ago and unfortunately I don't have the original passages they relate to. But hope it helps
Well, I attached a few, however these are from a few months ago and unfortunately I don't have the original passages they relate to. But hope it helps

Thanks a ton! :
Reply 8
they are both from May/ June 2010 :smile:
Original post by Welz143

Thanks again! :biggrin:
A small question: if I wanted to quote a sentence, does Cambridge allow me to use ellipses, such as, for example, if I wanted to quote the sentence "By the time we have finished, we are drenched, as ravenous as bush pigs, and hover like solemn, dishevelled ghosts aimless as to what to do next," can I just write it as "By the time...to do next"?

Do they allow such a use of ellipses while quoting or do they penalise you for it?
According to my teacher we should use it because it saves words and time, cambridge hasn't really mentioned using or not using it anywhere but my guess is you won't be penalised...I personally plan to use it
According to my teacher we should use it because it saves words and time, cambridge hasn't really mentioned using or not using it anywhere but my guess is you won't be penalised...I personally plan to use it

So, how did it go for you?
no discussions until 24 hours after i think :tongue:
well i think it went pretty well, though i basically wrote up the whole booklet cuz I didn't wanna miss anything...so it ended up 4 pages of commentary for each piece, and for the B parts I wrote about 3/4 of a page each... What bout u?
Reply 15
these are some exercises my teacher has given me. hope it's helpful.
AS Passage 2.docx
AS Passage.docx
AS sp and ms.docx
well i think it went pretty well, though i basically wrote up the whole booklet cuz I didn't wanna miss anything...so it ended up 4 pages of commentary for each piece, and for the B parts I wrote about 3/4 of a page each... What bout u?

Original post by Khadim uz Zahra
So, how did it go for you?

Original post by Welz143

Original post by salmanur
these are some exercises my teacher has given me. hope it's helpful.
AS Passage 2.docx
AS Passage.docx
AS sp and ms.docx

:ciao:
Hi! I'm giving my CIE English AS exam this May so I wanted to know whether you guys had any tips based on your experience of the exam? :biggrin:

My teacher said I need more practice on directed writing and that my commentaries talk too much about the language and not enough about the content. I do descriptive writing but I always struggle to relate to the topics! :frown:

Would love to hear your experience with AS English from CIE! Thanks a ton!
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
:ciao:
Hi! I'm giving my CIE English AS exam this May so I wanted to know whether you guys had any tips based on your experience of the exam? :biggrin:

My teacher said I need more practice on directed writing and that my commentaries talk too much about the language and not enough about the content. I do descriptive writing but I always struggle to relate to the topics! :frown:

Would love to hear your experience with AS English from CIE! Thanks a ton!

Hello, there.:h:
I hope you'll reply to this.
I'll be sitting the AS CIE English Language this May/June.
My teacher is actually expecting me to FAIL, like seriously get a U cos I'm really bad at commenting even though now I've felt I improved a lot since then. I really want to prove her wrong.:colondollar:Have you got any tips and any great websites that will help. And how did you do if you mind me asking?
Original post by Anne james
Hello, there.:h:
I hope you'll reply to this.
I'll be sitting the AS CIE English Language this May/June.
My teacher is actually expecting me to FAIL, like seriously get a U cos I'm really bad at commenting even though now I've felt I improved a lot since then. I really want to prove her wrong.:colondollar:Have you got any tips and any great websites that will help. And how did you do if you mind me asking?

Hi Anne!
Don't worry I'm sure you can prove her wrong! I've posted a lot of my own tips here, and you'll find links and tips from other people here too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375879
I recommend downloading the CIE standards booklet and reading the samples to get an idea of the type of writing that other people have produced. Also, if you're using a textbook, read it cover to cover! Possibly twice. It'll have a lot of samples and tips to help you.
I managed to get an 82 (A). Manage your time well in Paper 1, the time flies! And in Paper 2 just make sure you cross the word limit - none of your two essays should be under the limit, they are very strict about this in P2!
Here to help :smile: good luck!
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Hi Anne!
Don't worry I'm sure you can prove her wrong! I've posted a lot of my own tips here, and you'll find links and tips from other people here too: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375879
I recommend downloading the CIE standards booklet and reading the samples to get an idea of the type of writing that other people have produced. Also, if you're using a textbook, read it cover to cover! Possibly twice. It'll have a lot of samples and tips to help you.
I managed to get an 82 (A). Manage your time well in Paper 1, the time flies! And in Paper 2 just make sure you cross the word limit - none of your two essays should be under the limit, they are very strict about this in P2!
Here to help :smile: good luck!

Thanks a bunch!!!:h::h: That really helped a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending