The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Can anyone give a current definition of bandwidth according to AQA? This is what I've got, but it is way too long for a 1 or 2 mark question:

Bandwidth is a measure of how fast the data may be transmitted over the transmission medium (e.g. copper wire). This is measured in Hertz as the range of signal frequencies that it may transmit at one end and receive at the other end, without significant reduction in strength.

Annoyed at how we have to learn AQA's definitions and not those that are accepted in society. It's like "resolution of an image" last time in COMP1, which was wrong in the mark scheme (they gave a definition of pixel density).
What are the Advantages/Disadvantages to Baseband and Broadband?
Original post by drspa44
Can anyone give a current definition of bandwidth according to AQA? This is what I've got, but it is way too long for a 1 or 2 mark question:

Bandwidth is a measure of how fast the data may be transmitted over the transmission medium (e.g. copper wire). This is measured in Hertz as the range of signal frequencies that it may transmit at one end and receive at the other end, without significant reduction in strength.

Annoyed at how we have to learn AQA's definitions and not those that are accepted in society. It's like "resolution of an image" last time in COMP1, which was wrong in the mark scheme (they gave a definition of pixel density).

Just shorten it down to. Measure in (Hz) of how fast data is transmitted across a transmission medium.
Original post by FredrickTrott

Baseband : Requires cheaper hardware/is cheaper to maintain
Can only transmit a single signal at a time so is not good for high traffic networks

Broadband : Multiple signals can be transmitted at once so it is very fast
It requires expensive hardware and is expensive to maintain but cost is justifiable due to the high performance.
Original post by BalletDystopia
Just shorten it down to. Measure in (Hz) of how fast data is transmitted across a transmission medium.

This is the definition from my AQA computing book:
"Bandwidth: for a transmission medium, e.g. copper wire, this is the range of signal frequencies that it may transmit"

The speed of data transmission would be given by either the bit rate or baud rate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 405

Mummy may want to use the phone, if you have a baseband system, ure gonna have to disconnect your dial up or ure mum will giv u a good ass whoopin as experienced by me in the pass. So Broadband systems prevent you getting ure ass whooped by ure mum or dad.
Reply 406
I feel nervous about sitting this exam. I pray for a miracle in 4 hours...
Original post by ngnav
Mummy may want to use the phone, if you have a baseband system, ure gonna have to disconnect your dial up or ure mum will giv u a good ass whoopin as experienced by me in the pass. So Broadband systems prevent you getting ure ass whooped by ure mum or dad.

This isn't an acceptable answer. :banana2:
Reply 408
is the largest number in floating point
0.1111111 * 0111
?
Original post by exe
is the largest number in floating point
0.1111111 * 0111
?

yes

smallest (normalised) =
0.1000000 1000
Reply 410
Original post by Darkphilosopher
"Bandwidth: for a transmission medium, e.g. copper wire, this is the range of signal frequencies that it may transmit"

The speed of data transmission would be given by either the bit rate or baud rate.

Thanks. How would this be in Hertz though? Does range mean like 10KHz to 15KHz, hence bandwidth would be 5 KHz?
Another Quick Question,

What is the difference between Thin Client Network, and a Server Based Network?

From what i understand, both need to have a dedicated server, to manage resources, process stuff, and in both cases the clients are essentially thin.
Reply 412
Another Quick Question,

What is the difference between Thin Client Network, and a Server Based Network?

From what i understand, both need to have a dedicated server, to manage resources, process stuff, and in both cases the clients are essentially thin.

It's been answered in quite a bit of detail about page 17ish (on the forum), if you wanna have a look :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by drspa44
Thanks. How would this be in Hertz though? Does range mean like 10KHz to 15KHz, hence bandwidth would be 5 KHz?

Yep.
Original post by Darkphilosopher

And in my book bandwidth is a measure of how fast data may be transmitted over a medium. Further down is says it is measured in (Hz)

Bit rate is the amount of bits transmitted per second.
Original post by jtanna
It's been answered in quite a bit of detail about page 17ish (on the forum), if you wanna have a look :smile:

Thanks for editting it, felt a bit stupid looking in my book.

But the definition given on page 17, is thin vs thick, if you look at the AQA book on page 185, there is a definition of a thin client network being network where all the processing takes place on the central server.

Then on page 189 the definition of a server based network is a network where resources ... and other functions are provided by dedicated servers.

Are they essentially not the same thing?
Reply 416

But the definition given on page 17, is thin vs thick, if you look at the AQA book on page 185, there is a definition of a thin client network being network where all the processing takes place on the central server.

Then on page 189 the definition of a server based network is a network where resources ... and other functions are provided by dedicated servers.

No
Servers provide a service eg. authorisation(logging in), email, something like that

In thin client ALL processing takes place on the server, imagine your computer right now was just showing you an image but all the actual computation was taking place at a remote location,
Reply 417

Oh god, I'm so sorry, didn't read the post well enough.

Basically, on a Server orientated network, all PCs have their own resources, such as a filesystem (like a C: etc) their own processors, their own graphics cards etc. However, on a Thin Client Network, each PC 'rents' the main server's resources, with each PC basically being a screen, and very basic space, that literally connects to the sever and uses everything it has.

(someone please correct me if I'm wrong..)
Reply 418

They are not opposites, so they are hard to compare. A thin client network will always be a server based network, but other server based networks use rich clients.

They won't ask you to compare the two. If you have to define them, use the book's definitions.
Reply 419
In a bus or star network, can there be a collision with incoming and outgoing traffic between the same two nodes? In which case, to state 'no collisions' as an advantage of a star network would be wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending