The Student Room Group

Why do people still insist Chelsea is not a big club?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by murpo
daisy lowe

:yes:
Reply 61
Original post by TM94
How big is London compared to Newcastle though? clown. Had a bigger attendance than you when we were in the championship **** fans.
answer this, mr. oh-so-holy overlord in training: how many teams from Newcastle are there in the Premier League, and how many from London? in west London alone we have Chelsea, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers all within walking distance of each other, and from Stamford Bridge to Loftus Road is a distance surely not greater than the city of Newcastle..?

edit: ohhh but i forgot, mate i'm sorry you're an overlord in training! :daydreaming:
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Is it really any different from people living in London not supporting their closest football club? You should see the number of Arsenal shirts in Peckham. I thought I was in Islington once. I mean, if someone supported Chelsea but grew up in Tottenham people would wonder why that person chose Chelsea ahead of Spurs.

What you say is true but remember that in London people move around in the city all the time. Many in South London will be from North London, many in West London will be from East London. Or at least their parentage etc etc.

It's extremely common. Even when Chelsea were terrible there were absolutely tons of Chelsea fans in Croydon where I grew up. Tons of Arsenal and Spurs too.

But it really is just two or three months since I have seen City shirts down here.

It's not the same
Original post by KimKallstrom
What you say is true but remember that in London people move around in the city all the time. Many in South London will be from North London, many in West London will be from East London. Or at least their parentage etc etc.

It's extremely common. Even when Chelsea were terrible there were absolutely tons of Chelsea fans in Croydon where I grew up. Tons of Arsenal and Spurs too.

But it really is just two or three months since I have seen City shirts down here.

It's not the same

That's true. I travelled through Peckham regularly when I was studying in London, spoke to a few Arsenal shirt wearers and all the ones I did talk to said they lived in Peckham or Lewisham. You get a fair few Arsenal fans in Essex, Spurs fans in Hertfordshire etc. Must admit, I've not known about Croydon as I've never been. Heard Kingston seem to have more Chelsea fans over the years but I guess Chelsea would be a relatively close team to support. Wonder how many fans of Utd and City live in Salford? :teeth:
Original post by TM94
How big is London compared to Newcastle though? clown. Had a bigger attendance than you when we were in the championship **** fans.

True, but:

Newcastle's population is 1.1m with 1 club.
London's population is 7.8m with 14 clubs.

This means that Newcastle have twice as many people per club than London.

Don't Derby get more attendances each match than Nottingham Forest? I do believe attendances should count but it would be a bit unfair not to have a look at every club's attendances. And this doesn't include other demographics such as other sports teams and population density close to the stadiums even if it is a minimal change, it should still be looked at too.
Original post by HeyyImRyan
To be fair, United (my team) fill an 85k stadium with millions of Asian fans, and it's actually a majority of tourists who fill it :frown:

Prices are too high for locals to go to every game and pay separately, and the amount of season tickets on offer is pretty slim, thousands are left on a waitlist.

Just so you know, theres no season ticket waiting list. Its the price/glazers that stop manchester reds going, not the fact they cant get a ticket
True, but:

Newcastle's population is 1.1m with 1 club.
London's population is 7.8m with 14 clubs.

This means that Newcastle have twice as many people per club than London.

Don't Derby get more attendances each match than Nottingham Forest? I do believe attendances should count but it would be a bit unfair not to have a look at every club's attendances. And this doesn't include other demographics such as other sports teams and population density close to the stadiums even if it is a minimal change, it should still be looked at too.

879,996 (Tyneside) - Is population of Newcastle. If you are going to post 1.1m (tyne and wearside region), then there's two clubs atleast - Newcastle and Sunderland. Also the likes of Gateshead, etc.

The London clubs have a much bigger catchment area than just London.

This is just London - 'The Greater London Urban Area is the second-largest in the EU with a population of 8,278,251,[25] while London's metropolitan area is the largest in the EU with an estimated total population of between 12 million[26] and 14 million.' You have considerably downplayed the figures.

Add to the fact, not all fans are evenly distributed. Considering Chelsea are one of the few London clubs in the premier league, they will attract more fans than say Barnet. The ones who support the likes of Barnet FC, usually support a team in the premier league as well, so there's an overlap.

As a result, your argument doesn't hold much weight and you have significantly manipulated the figures.
(edited 11 years ago)
but gareth bale
Original post by Deep456
879,996 (Tyneside) - Is population of Newcastle. If you are going to post 1.1m (tyne and wearside region),

Well, he stated 8m or so so I assumed he would think Tyne and Wear region as being Newcastle. The London equivalent to Tyneside would probably be the County of London. Gateshead FC are not a professional club so I did not include them.
It's a fanbase and brand name issue. It takes 10-15 years of continued success and a smart, aggressive business strategy internationally. Clubs such as United, Liverpool, FC Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ajax, Milan AC and Internazionale all have much wider global name recognition and support than the modern upcoming clubs like Chelsea. They finished 6th in the league this year despite winning the Champions League.

I think they will get there eventually, but these things take time. If they're still in and around the mix at the top domestically (which they havent been this season) for the next decade or so then we'll start to see them accepted as one of those european superpowers like the clubs mentioned above.
Original post by rorydaredking
Just so you know, theres no season ticket waiting list. Its the price/glazers that stop manchester reds going, not the fact they cant get a ticket

If Old Trafford was still like it was in the 90s atmosphere wise a lot of those local fans who've stopped going to home games would have no issue with paying £37 every two weeks. I know some lads legitimately can't afford it but in a lot of cases it's the fact that it's not worth it anymore that puts them off.

The pricing structure is the Glazer's fault but I can't blame them for the decline in atmosphere really. That's come about because of the marketing to foreign fans trying to get them involved in the whole "Man U Experience" garbage that Edwards and his band of idiots started peddling across Asia around 1994.

But anyway, that rant is totally off-topic! :tongue:
Well, he stated 8m or so so I assumed he would think Tyne and Wear region as being Newcastle. The London equivalent to Tyneside would probably be the County of London. Gateshead FC are not a professional club so I did not include them.

Wrong - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateshead_F.C.

Okay, I used the wrong word. They're not in the Premier League, Championship, League 1 or League 2. Otherwise I'd have included Bromley FC and Hampton & Richmond Borough FC. I do think many of the London clubs don't attract as many clubs as it should but I don't think Chelsea are unique, just the most obvious. I used to live in London and there are plenty of Man Utd and Liverpool fans.
Reply 73
Original post by IanDangerously
It's a fanbase and brand name issue. It takes 10-15 years of continued success and a smart, aggressive business strategy internationally. Clubs such as United, Liverpool, FC Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ajax, Milan AC and Internazionale all have much wider global name recognition and support than the modern upcoming clubs like Chelsea. They finished 6th in the league this year despite winning the Champions League.

I think they will get there eventually, but these things take time. If they're still in and around the mix at the top domestically (which they havent been this season) for the next decade or so then we'll start to see them accepted as one of those european superpowers like the clubs mentioned above.

I agree that Chelsea is far from reaching the echelons of clubs such as those. However, I think that Chelsea can at the very least be considered "big".
Original post by UnWise
I agree that Chelsea is far from reaching the echelons of clubs such as those. However, I think that Chelsea can at the very least be considered "big".

Yeah, I think Chelsea are a big team but not up amongst the world's most recognised clubs. They're certainly one of the biggest teams in England now and pretty well established as a big club in Europe, but it'll take a while to build that reputation up internationally.

Winning the Champions League goes some way to cementing Chelsea's place as a big European team. I don't think its entirely fair to shoehorn the club into the sugardaddy money club like City either tbh. Some people conveniently tend to ignore the fact that they were playing in Europe semi-regularly and getting respectable positions in the league before Abramovich took over.
Reply 75
Yeah, I think Chelsea are a big team but not up amongst the world's most recognised clubs. They're certainly one of the biggest teams in England now and pretty well established as a big club in Europe, but it'll take a while to build that reputation up internationally.

Winning the Champions League goes some way to cementing Chelsea's place as a big European team. I don't think its entirely fair to shoehorn the club into the sugardaddy money club like City either tbh. Some people conveniently tend to ignore the fact that they were playing in Europe semi-regularly and getting respectable positions in the league before Abramovich took over.

You speak the truth :yes:
Reply 76
Original post by Deep456
879,996 (Tyneside) - Is population of Newcastle. If you are going to post 1.1m (tyne and wearside region), then there's two clubs atleast - Newcastle and Sunderland. Also the likes of Gateshead, etc.

The London clubs have a much bigger catchment area than just London.

This is just London - 'The Greater London Urban Area is the second-largest in the EU with a population of 8,278,251,[25] while London's metropolitan area is the largest in the EU with an estimated total population of between 12 million[26] and 14 million.' You have considerably downplayed the figures.

Add to the fact, not all fans are evenly distributed. Considering Chelsea are one of the few London clubs in the premier league, they will attract more fans than say Barnet. The ones who support the likes of Barnet FC, usually support a team in the premier league as well, so there's an overlap.

As a result, your argument doesn't hold much weight and you have significantly manipulated the figures.

Yes, but Newcastle has a larger catchment area than just Newcastle, or even wider Tyneside. Northumberland's population is about 350,00, I think? Though Northumberland's a largely rural county it does have an urban south east where there is a high concentration of Newcastle fans (Cramlington, Ashington, Blyth). They even get a reasonable number of fans from as far away as Cumbria, as well as parts of County Durham (much of which is more Sunderland territory, traditionally) so this easily brings its catchment area to around the 1.1 million stated, if not higher.

It does need to be recognised that Tyneside is one of the country's largest conurbations, and there are no "big" clubs in Northumberland or Cumbria. The only professional club in Northumberland is Berwick and they play in the Scottish league, of course. Added to this other sports aren't particularly popular (Rugby Union is the next biggest sport but that's not saying much. Basketball isn't well supported in Newcastle despite them having the country's most successful team. Neither is cricket. Rugby League is non-existent).
Reply 77
Original post by sao desi
No, I don't speak street.

However, United's last two CL's were won by luck. A win is a win, I don't really care.

No they didn't involve defending for their lives in both semi final and final, and their opponents didn't miss key penalties in normal time ( messi, robben)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 78
If Old Trafford was still like it was in the 90s atmosphere wise a lot of those local fans who've stopped going to home games would have no issue with paying £37 every two weeks. I know some lads legitimately can't afford it but in a lot of cases it's the fact that it's not worth it anymore that puts them off.

The pricing structure is the Glazer's fault but I can't blame them for the decline in atmosphere really. That's come about because of the marketing to foreign fans trying to get them involved in the whole "Man U Experience" garbage that Edwards and his band of idiots started peddling across Asia around 1994.

But anyway, that rant is totally off-topic! :tongue:

What % of fans are Old Trafford at foreign?

Surely can't be any more than 5%?
Original post by QiGeek
Every big club, including Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have had money injections to make them big, it's just that CFC had theirs more recently

9 year old thread, sadly…

Quick Reply

Latest