The Student Room Group

Who do you think is the coolest band ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
In my opinion, you don't get a cooler band than The Kinks!
Reply 81
Original post by Left Hand Drive
Rise Against. Love their message and music

I second this!
Original post by xbethany
I second this!

And I third it.

For live music though, nothing gets close to Muse.
Reply 83
The Floyd, obviously.
The Smiths

I quite liked The Smiths as well, they were cool. See you are from Doncaster, I was in Doncaster last weekend :-)
p.s. you look very pretty! xx
Reply 85
Original post by JessicaUk
I quite liked The Smiths as well, they were cool. See you are from Doncaster, I was in Doncaster last weekend :-)
p.s. you look very pretty! xx

I love The Smiths! :lovedup:
Haha, cool. What brought you to Doncaster?
Aww really? Thanks. I'm really not though :s-smilie: haha.
Reply 86
I would say Metallica or ACDC.
I love The Smiths! :lovedup:
Haha, cool. What brought you to Doncaster?
Aww really? Thanks. I'm really not though :s-smilie: haha.

Yeah, is cool to just chill out and have some Smiths playing :-)

I went to the new..ish animal park they have there, and had a look in the town as well, Frenchgate Centre is it?

Yes hun, you look really pretty, I think you are very much so xxx
Original post by When you see it...
I just think there lyrics are (next-to) never interesting and their music is formualic and repetetive - it is always a guitar riff and some high pitched vocals. Some of their music is decent and there is certainly some variety, but they are a relic of the late-'60s and 1970s and it surprises me how popular they are with other people my age.
I have never seen you talk positively about any artist other than Led Zeppelin (apart from Jimi Hendrix a few posts above). It is always 'nah that music is ****. You should listen to Led Zeppelin <posts yt link>'.
Led Zeppelin are good, but boring (not to mention overrated).

Repetitive? You clearly haven't listened to much beyond their most popular album. Just a listen of Physical Graffiti will prove otherwise: hard rock, eastern-influenced orchestral music, driving funk, acoustic rock and roll, love ballads, blues.

And when they played live they were far from boring and repetitive. In concert they were one of the most innovative bands of their time and created far more than just "riffs and high pitched vocals". Maybe you ought to have a listen to Jimmy Page's violin bow solo on Dazed and Confused, or John Paul Jones' keyboard improvisation in No Quarter. Have you actually listened to much beyond the first album? Because all you mainly just seem to be criticising my posts.

So you're telling me Black Sabbath weren't boring? I like them but if anyone's catalog consists of mainly droning vocals and overrated guitar riffs, it's theirs. Led Zeppelin deviated so much further from that standard formula than Black Sabbath. Yes, in their early days it was mainly blues rock covers, but starting from their third album is where they really started to expand in different directions.

You don't have to like them, of course, but I don't get where you seem to be getting all this from.
Original post by vedderfan94
Repetitive? You clearly haven't listened to much beyond their most popular album. Just a listen of Physical Graffiti will prove otherwise: hard rock, eastern-influenced orchestral music, driving funk, acoustic rock and roll, love ballads, blues.

And when they played live they were far from boring and repetitive. In concert they were one of the most innovative bands of their time and created far more than just "riffs and high pitched vocals". Maybe you ought to have a listen to Jimmy Page's violin bow solo on Dazed and Confused, or John Paul Jones' keyboard improvisation in No Quarter. Have you actually listened to much beyond the first album? Because all you mainly just seem to be criticising my posts.

So you're telling me Black Sabbath weren't boring? I like them but if anyone's catalog consists of mainly droning vocals and overrated guitar riffs, it's theirs. Led Zeppelin deviated so much further from that standard formula than Black Sabbath. Yes, in their early days it was mainly blues rock covers, but starting from their third album is where they really started to expand in different directions.

You don't have to like them, of course, but I don't get where you seem to be getting all this from.

Black Sabbath fan chiming in now. Go and listen to the sabotage album and say that again.
Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin imo.

Of the newer age, I think The Strokes are cool as ****. Especially Julian
Periphery is very cool. The members are just so down to earth.
Reply 92
Either Stone Temple Pilots, Sonata Arctica or Maximum the Hormone.
Foo fighters, Nirvana (basically dave grohl and kurt cobain). Mick Jagger is pretty cool. When he performed with the foo fighters and arcade fire on SNL, I nearly wet myself.
Reply 94
Beastie Boys

The Strokes

The Kooks

Boss sh*t!
Original post by Pheylan
The correct answer is clearly The Velvet Underground.

Evidence

"-why do you want people to take drugs?
-Because its better than monopoly"
The Used

Beatles

Back street boys
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
Rage against the machine!!
Obviously, the beatles!!! :wink:
Otherwise probably Coldplay, Blur, Oasis there are so many other cool ones :wink: But the beatles win it for me! :smile:
Reply 99
Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath

...Have never been considered particularly "cool" bands either in their time or now - I mean they may be great bands 'n' all but they're hardly the epitome of coolness imo

I would sayy.. The Stones (back in the 60s anyway), The Doors, The Velvet Underground, Pixies, Stone Roses, Ramones, Sonic Youth, Pulp. Not sure about modern bands - maybe coolness is easier to ascribe in retrospect

Quick Reply

Latest