Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Revision: Max hours you are able to work?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I've promised myself that I'm going to go all out with revision this week and try to bump up my hours. Typically, I manage around 4-5 a day, but I'm aiming for 6-7.

How long are you able to work before you your brain turns to mush? I'm interested to know how many hours people do each day, and how frequent breaks are.
    Oh, and if anyone has any experiences of an all nighter of revision, please share! :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. I can normally do 4 - 5 hours. I've tried doing more but I'm just not there any more. It depends what I'm doing and what time. Sometimes I have a break after 2 hours for lunch or I'll take little 10 minute breaks to keep me awake. Don't try to do 6 -7 straight as your brain won't take in the information as effectively.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to do one hour, I usually have to play on my phone or read for a bit then go back, but I can't go past 2 hours. Something about reading things I know doesn't appeal I guess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm terrified about these exams so i'm aiming for 9-10 hours a day, but yesterday i barely managed 7. the maximum i'm able to do is 1 hour at a time, though yesterday i managed to get into a very efficient cycle of 1 hour's work then a 20 minute break
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    4-5 here as well. Best time for me is the mornings (that's when the library is nice and empty
    as well, so working atmosphere is ideal). Glad I graduated and will never have to revise again
    though lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    About 5 hours as well.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usually i do around 6-7 hours a day, some days i'm in the mood for working (!) and i can do around 10-12...but that's more like work, eat, work, eat, work, eat, sleep...doing too much isn't good for you 8)

Aim for around 6 hours, you can break it up into 1 and half hour sessions
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    4 hrs with 5 min breaks then a 20 min break after 2 hrs
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow... what are you people made of?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Around 4-5 hours a day.
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the week before exams, I can go up to 12-14. But normally only 3-4 hours a day.

Still failed my exams though :facepalm:
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 007Shella)
    Sugar, spice, everything nice.

And chemical X

sorry, coulkdn't resist!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    In the week before exams, I can go up to 12-14. But normally only 3-4 hours a day.

Still failed my exams though :facepalm:
    12-14?! D:
    Do you not eat/sleep?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    18 for me. 15-30 minute breaks for food, drink, toilet, TV, etc.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    maybe 2 or 3. im really lazy and i dont do much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buildalegohouse)
    So I've promised myself that I'm going to go all out with revision this week and try to bump up my hours. Typically, I manage around 4-5 a day, but I'm aiming for 6-7.

How long are you able to work before you your brain turns to mush? I'm interested to know how many hours people do each day, and how frequent breaks are.
    Oh, and if anyone has any experiences of an all nighter of revision, please share! :P
    I am usually laid back and wait until the last minute to revise.. i revise better when the pressure to do so is on so i would do 12 hour days, with about 9 really efficent hours and 3 average ones for about 3 days, then exam then same between each exam haha
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Now exams are about 2 weeks, I'm aiming for 5 hours. I did try 8 hours one day last week (3 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon and 2 hours in the evening) but my brain wasn't taking anything - If anything it was counter productive.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 007Shella)
    This lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When i have a lot of time untill an exam (3-5) i spend my time procrastinating, however when it gets 1 day before the exam i work from 9 am to 12 pm (-4 hours on eating and resting).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do lots of little broken up sessions straight for an hour. Like 15 mins vocab, 10 mins quotes, half an hour history. Although I skip the last few minutes usually. I do that for 2-3 hours straight.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.