The Student Room Group

M3 Pre-Exam thread (edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
the angle between AV and the verticle through V can be found by tan-1(1/2) so the angle between the initial verticle through V and the verticle wen it is being hung is 45-tan-1(1/2). the tan of this angle is 1/3. so u now have a right angled triangle with the opposite as the horizontal distance of the centre of mass from O (the bottom of the hole shape) and the adjacent as the distance of the centre of mass from V. by calling the horizontal xbar and the vertical ybar u can work out expressions for these two things, so xbar over ybar =1/3 and then solve for k. hope thats clear enough :P
Reply 301
Original post by blacklistmember
out of curiosity, how did you get a copy?

a spare one in my school:smile:
Tbh with 6b I got some nasty fractions and division at the end, just jumped from that to answer and wrote QED

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by blacklistmember
I may have to kill him if he doesnt

Lollol, worried now since I got 5/7 for the k question.

Reply 304
Original post by elkana
okay just 7

a particle B of mass 0.5kg is attached to one end of a light inextensible string of natural length 0.75m and modulus of elasticity 24.5N the other end of the string is attached to a fixed point A the particle is hanging in equilibrium at the point E vertically below A
show that AE=0.9m (3)

the particle is held at A and released from rest. The particle first comes to instantaneous rest at C
find AC (5)

show that while the string is taught there is SHM (4)

calculate the maximum speed of B (2)

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 305
can anyone post a mark scheme for this please?
Reply 306
I could do both bits of question 6, but i completely ****ed up the funny suspended cone and the conical pendulum. My methods were right, just a terrible application. Hoping for method marks. Oh weel better do well in fp2 :frown:
Reply 307
Having it straight after c3 didnt help :frown:
Original post by Einy
Having it straight after c3 didnt help :frown:

Ouch

Original post by Trollolollol
Lollol, worried now since I got 5/7 for the k question.

btw didnt you die last week? :P
Original post by rfarhan
the angle between AV and the verticle through V can be found by tan-1(1/2) so the angle between the initial verticle through V and the verticle wen it is being hung is 45-tan-1(1/2). the tan of this angle is 1/3. so u now have a right angled triangle with the opposite as the horizontal distance of the centre of mass from O (the bottom of the hole shape) and the adjacent as the distance of the centre of mass from V. by calling the horizontal xbar and the vertical ybar u can work out expressions for these two things, so xbar over ybar =1/3 and then solve for k. hope thats clear enough :P

Doesn't that get a value of k = 5/12 for the answer? That's what I got, but nobody else apparently! Anyone help me understand what happened there?
Yeh I got 5/12 and 7/12 as the distaances then by taking moments you got 5/7?

This is my worked solution for 6b) Can anyone confirm whether or not this matches the answer on the paper?
Reply 313
Original post by ihatethispart
This is my worked solution for 6b) Can anyone confirm whether or not this matches the answer on the paper?

You had it right on the bottom line, it should stay as 2a/(3root3 - pi)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by teek
You had it right on the bottom line, it should stay as 2a/(3root3 - pi)

Okay, thank you. Although now I'm just frustrated that I didn't get to do it in the exam :frown:
Reply 315
Original post by starkrush
But it does cancel. 27 + pi^2 = (3rt3 + pi)(3rt3 - pi). And the denominator was 3rt3 - pi.

They had the right answer then rationalised the denominator which I then realised, if you look at what you quoted :smile:

and it should be 27 - pi^2, what you wrote doesn't actually factories, the OP had the right answer then made it wrong
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by teek
They had the right answer then rationalised the denominator which I then realised, if you look at what you quoted :smile:

Yeah, I realised and just deleted my post, sorry! I misread it first time round
Reply 317
Original post by ihatethispart
Okay, thank you. Although now I'm just frustrated that I didn't get to do it in the exam :frown:

you actually rationalised the denominator wrong, it should go to 27 - pi^2 :smile:

I managed to get that question after a while, but then ended up rushing and ended up putting stuff into my calculator wrong and getting the wrong value for K :frown:
can anyone remember the details of question 2? i.e marks per part and how you worked out the answer? would be much appreciated.
Reply 319
Honestly one of the worst papers I have ever done... I doubt I even got half marks :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending