The Student Room Group

M3 Pre-Exam thread (edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I didn't think this paper was too bad in honesty.

Question 6 was nasty - didn't get 6b (though I think if O had a few more minutes, I may have got there) and for 6a in a part-calculus, part-trig way, so I probably won't get all the marks for that. Should still get method marks, but probably dropped 4-5 marks on that question.

Also, I must have made some silly mistake on the other centre of mass question, got k=1/4, not 5/4. Hopefully should only drop 1, maybe 2, marks for that?

If grade boundaries are nice, I may sneak 90. Anyone got any predictions for boundaries? :smile:
Reply 341
Original post by rugby274
i have a few questions that are realy annoying me, can someone help?

1) for the weird triangle question with sectors cut out, do you get any marks if you find the com using medians in a triangle instead of calculus? (i paniced)

2) what do people think the grade boundaires are? (it was the worst paper i've ever done)

3) what do you reckonthe raw mark for 89 ums would be as that is what i need for the A*

1) unfortunately you will lost most if not all... question asked you to use calculus and as it was a show that i cant see where you could recover any marks :frown:

2)around 69 a* 58a

3) 68 :P
Original post by Trollolollol
Yeh you'll get a few, I flopped whole of q6

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

same... I'll probably get about 3 method marks... for both parts together... used the wrong gradient when integrating...
Original post by natninja
you'd lose the final accuracy mark and probably 2 method marks, possibly one more accuracy mark :/ hope you managed the COM qs ok... I didn't :P

Question 4? I got the first bit, which was the 'show that' question. I never even wrote a final answer for k, I tried finding the new COM using (M+kM)y=... and I used tan 45=1 and equated them but I must have done something wrong along the way because I ended up with equal number of k's on both sides so I just gave up. I think they usually want you to use moments in that question so I probably lost all 6 marks.

EDIT: Or was it 5 marks? God I hope it's 5, I'm holding on to every pathetic mark I can get right now
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ihatethispart
Question 4? I got the first bit, which was the 'show that' question. I never even wrote a final answer for k, I tried finding the new COM using (M+kM)y=... and I used tan 45=1 and equated them but I must have done something wrong along the way because I ended up with equal number of k's on both sides so I just gave up. I think they usually want you to use moments in that question so I probably lost all 6 marks

I did exactly the same as you for that :/ and it was out of 5 not 6 :smile:
Original post by natninja
I did exactly the same as you for that :/ and it was out of 5 not 6 :smile:

Did your k's cancel out too? How many marks do you think the examiners might give us if they think our method is valid, with just a few slip ups?
Did your k's cancel out too? How many marks do you think the examiners might give us if they think our method is valid, with just a few slip ups?

maybe 2 max probably none as the 'k's in the expression cancelled and therefore it was incorrect, one guy at my school had it without the k cancelling and got a really weird answer and no-one else could do it and our class usually averages a high B/low A
i didnt think this was too bad actually, but then again thats what i thought about jan and i got a D!

so proud of myself for being able to do 6a (y=a - 1/sqrt(3)x right?) but 6b really messed me up. do you reckon i could get any marks for using the CofM of a sector formula with pi/4 ?

and the whole find k, that was literally impossible for me! i just couldn't get my head around using the fact that the angle was 45 as well as that the new CofM must be below the point of suspension. oh well
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aljabiraa
i didnt think this was too bad actually, but then again thats what i thought about jan and i got a D!

so proud of myself for being able to do 6a (y=a - 1/sqrt(3)x right?) but 6b really messed me up. do you reckon i could get any marks for using the CofM of a sector formula with pi/4 ?

and the whole find k, that was literally impossible for me! i just couldn't get my head around using the fact that the angle was 45 as well as that the new CofM must be below the point of suspension. oh well

realized after the end that I could have used turning moments for k...
I actually don't know how the marks will be rewarded myself. I assume some marks would be rewarded for calculating the correct centre of mass and are of the triangle and the sectors so maybe 3-4 marks for an incomplete answer?

On 1b) If you found the constant, then rearranging to get x in terms of t would be a mark and then a final accuracy mark? So maybe 4 out of 6?

I think a lot of people like myself freaked out yesterday because the questions felt so weird, I mean, only FM candidates do M3 and still most people here say it's hard. I'm hoping that my generous self-mark of 57 would at least get me 70UMS.

And here's the solution to 6a? just in case you're interested:

That's not too bad then, to be honest I'll settle for 1 or 2 marks for that, my head was all over the place after seeing the complexity of that question at the time!

That sounds good to me, I think that's fair seen as though I did the bulk of the work, I was just a moron and didn't read the question fully :')

I was the same, the paper seemed routine-like to me initially, but then when it came to question 6, I died a little inside xD I'm sure you'll get that, if not more. The scaling should be very generous for this exam going of most people's reactions..

I read through it thanks, I did revise the proofs, but just didn't clock on in the exam. Wasn't expecting them to ask it really.

Thanks for helping me stay sane! So worried about opening my results now, just because of this M3 exam :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Let's be honest we panicked and that made it worse, plus nobody felt they had enough time

I'll virtually choke one anyone who writes they got 75 right now..... There was a d*ckwad that did that on the m2 thread, about 3 times... I thought m2 was the worst paper, little did I know m3 was worse

I really do hope they go a little bit easier on us with FP2.. >_>
Original post by Trollolollol
I'll virtually choke one anyone who writes they got 75 right now..... There was a d*ckwad that did that on the m2 thread, about 3 times... I thought m2 was the worst paper, little did I know m3 was worse

be thankful you didn't do m4
Yeh m2,m3 and even fp1 was a bit dodgy. Hopefully fp3 is ok. And na no m4 for me lol e and m next year , bye bye hard maths woo

Original post by David.holt123
That's not too bad then, to be honest I'll settle for 1 or 2 marks for that, my head was all over the place after seeing the complexity of that question at the time!

That sounds good to me, I think that's fair seen as though I did the bulk of the work, I was just a moron and didn't read the question fully :')

I was the same, the paper seemed routine-like to me initially, but then when it came to question 6, I died a little inside xD I'm sure you'll get that, if not more. The scaling should be very generous for this exam going of most people's reactions..

I read through it thanks, I did revise the proofs, but just didn't clock on in the exam. Wasn't expecting them to ask it really.

Thanks for helping me stay sane! So worried about opening my results now, just because of this M3 exam :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I didn't care too much about M3 initially but I was hoping it would take the pressure off FP2 and FP3, which were my weaker modules to start with. Now I just have to work extra hard on my remaining modules
Yeh Monday after next fml. 20 minutes left I had like 40 marks left out started panicking and started thinking jeez I will need 100 just to get A. Now it's ok, but a* is gone. Lucky I don't need A* for my offer, what about you guys?

Reply 357
do u guys reckon grade boundaries will be much lower
i need 82 ums for my A* :tongue:
what would it be, approx?
Reply 358
Right now, taking out exam pressure, I do feel the exam is very doable, but only if we had a little more time. Anyone agree that it was a little too long or is it just me?
Reply 359
Original post by dzone25
I'm expecting:

65-67 full ums (majority dropped 6 marks in one of the bigger questions ==> most lost 12 with 2 of either finding k, proving COM or 1b being the main culprits)
61 A* (hopefully lower =[)
56 A
53 B (smaller jump, as I thought the paper disregarding a few of the harder questions was easier than usual?)
49 C
42 D
38 E

You do realise the UMS is linear -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending