M3 Pre-Exam thread (edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xarren
You do realise the UMS is linear -.-

UMS mite be but not the raw marks boundary gap
Reply 361
Original post by Killerstorm2
UMS mite be but not the raw marks boundary gap

The relationship between UMS and Raw marks is 100% linear.

Edit: (Bar rounding issues, as it is to 0 dp)
Original post by MAD Phil
Here's my first attempt. Let me know about my mistakes, please - like for the M4 paper!

Thanks for the upload. It's amazing how you remember all the questions. I usually forget everything before i leave the exam room.
Original post by JoshC.
I didn't think this paper was too bad in honesty.

Question 6 was nasty - didn't get 6b (though I think if O had a few more minutes, I may have got there) and for 6a in a part-calculus, part-trig way, so I probably won't get all the marks for that. Should still get method marks, but probably dropped 4-5 marks on that question.

Also, I must have made some silly mistake on the other centre of mass question, got k=1/4, not 5/4. Hopefully should only drop 1, maybe 2, marks for that?

If grade boundaries are nice, I may sneak 90. Anyone got any predictions for boundaries? :smile:

Wasn't too bad yet you didn't get a whole 6 mark question and made "silly mistakes" ? Unfortunately most of us here see wasn't too bad as made no mistakes apart from a small arithmetic error.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 364
I have updated the 3rd post with the June 2012 paper, I will smash out some model answers when I have time... pretty busy this weekend though

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014429&p=37798389#post37798389
Reply 365
I did the M3 Jan-08 paper under test conditions and got 73/75 and its grade boundaries were
100- 69
90- 62
80- 55
70- 48
60- 41
50- 34
But that paper on Thursday ate my brain and spat it out... That question 6... What the actual hell! So glad S3's a back up plan! What did people find K to be in the other centre of mass question?
Original post by sweya
I did the M3 Jan-08 paper under test conditions and got 73/75 and its grade boundaries were
100- 69
90- 62
80- 55
70- 48
60- 41
50- 34
But that paper on Thursday ate my brain and spat it out... That question 6... What the actual hell! So glad S3's a back up plan! What did people find K to be in the other centre of mass question?

I agree mate, all past papers were relatively easy,jan 08 the one with the dodgy circular motion hits peg B question? D you do fp3?

Reply 367
Original post by Trollolollol
I agree mate, all past papers were relatively easy,jan 08 the one with the dodgy circular motion hits peg B question? D you do fp3?

Yup the one with the peg question. I do do FP3 and now I really need to jump on that revision because at this rate I'm screwed.... That A* is seeming rather unlikely :tongue:
[QUOTE="sweya;38146686"]

Yup the one with the peg question. I do do FP3 and now I really need to jump on that revision because at this rate I'm screwed.... That A* is seeming rather unlikely :tongue:

F*ck a* I can't even get the marks needed for an A atm

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1339836353.938428.jpg

Can anyone help with 4,6,8 I am so ducked if no one helps thanks :/

Reply 370
Original post by Xarren
You do realise the UMS is linear -.-

swear its not as my maths teacher talked about last year how if everyone is really bunched the grade boundaries can be really close at the centre but spread out at the edges
Original post by physics1
swear its not as my maths teacher talked about last year how if everyone is really bunched the grade boundaries can be really close at the centre but spread out at the edges

I think the UMS to raw marks conversion is pretty much linear, the main difference between the two is the percentage cap for full ums and the lowest grade. For example, because most candidates manage to lose quite a lot of marks in physics, the full UMS cap is really low, but then the difference between each grade after that is around the same.
Reply 372
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1339836353.938428.jpg

Can anyone help with 4,6,8 I am so ducked if no one helps thanks :/

Hope this helps sorry about my handwriting... also isnt this fp2/3?
Reply 373
Original post by ihatethispart
I think the UMS to raw marks conversion is pretty much linear, the main difference between the two is the percentage cap for full ums and the lowest grade. For example, because most candidates manage to lose quite a lot of marks in physics, the full UMS cap is really low, but then the difference between each grade after that is around the same.

ahhhh ok would make sense

Thank you so much,absolute life saver :smile:

Reply 375

The boundaries for an A and E are set and then B, C and and D are split evenly in between.

Boundaries for 90 and 100ums will follow the linear path unless the cap is broken.

It's fp3 for edexcel, why is it easier/harder than it should be?

Reply 377
It's fp3 for edexcel, why is it easier/harder than it should be?

oh nothing just wondered why you posted it on this thread!

Could you explain for questions 4 and 6 what your jump from 2nd to 3rd step was? Like how what did you do get second derivative? Because my friend told me just to work it out and then put it in to show it equals 0?

oh nothing just wondered why you posted it on this thread!

Oh o I posted on like fp3 thread but nobody replied :/

Quick Reply

Latest