The Student Room Group

M3 Pre-Exam thread (edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physics1
Hope this helps sorry about my handwriting... also isnt this fp2/3?

Sorry I'm a bit slow, how do you go from 2nd to 3rd step :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 381
Original post by Trollolollol
Sorry I'm a bit slow, how do you go from 2nd to 3rd step :/

on which one?
Oh I get it ow thanks a lot

Original post by physics1
if you look at past exam papers when ever you have to give an answer (even if you have used (g=9.8) they say accept answer 1.23 or better.... they dont tend to worry about being over accurate as we are not sad anal physicists! sorry pete

No!

On the June 11 examiner's report for M1 it says
"In calculations the numerical value of g which should be used is 9.8, as advised on the front of the question paper. Final answers should then be given to 2 (or 3) significant figures; more accurate answers will be penalised, including fractions."

The M2 report included the comment
"Many candidates lost the final mark due to giving the final answer to too many significant figures. Answers to questions involving the substitution of a value for g should be given to 2 or at most 3 significant figures. "
Original post by Xarren
You do realise the UMS is linear -.-

however raw score to UMS conversion is not.
Original post by natninja
however raw score to UMS conversion is not.

It is from the E boundary to the A boundary. To get the 100 UMS raw score, add 2 x the gap between B and A onto A, unless that takes you past 75. If so, 75 becomes 100 UMS and 90 UMS is halfway between 75 and the A boundary raw score.
Reply 386
Original post by Trollolollol
Wasn't too bad yet you didn't get a whole 6 mark question and made "silly mistakes" ? Unfortunately most of us here see wasn't too bad as made no mistakes apart from a small arithmetic error.

To be honest, I really wasn't sure what to expect from the paper. I'd self taught the unit so anything would do. I think I made a little error on one question and found one question hard - I'll take that!
Original post by JoshC.
To be honest, I really wasn't sure what to expect from the paper. I'd self taught the unit so anything would do. I think I made a little error on one question and found one question hard - I'll take that!

Yeh :smile:. At least you're upbeat :tongue: and FYI I taught myself m3 too lol but being Asian making more than one mistake was too much to bear... In fairness it could have been worse, half way through I'd missed out half the questions, well see when results come out hopefully grade boundaries are low (they should be if you count tsr as random sample of m3 candidates )

So what is the consensus on what K was?
Original post by tiny hobbit
It is from the E boundary to the A boundary. To get the 100 UMS raw score, add 2 x the gap between B and A onto A, unless that takes you past 75. If so, 75 becomes 100 UMS and 90 UMS is halfway between 75 and the A boundary raw score.

Thank you for clarifying that :smile: I was under the impression that it was done by percentile
Reply 390
If i am doing the com question do i need to state where I am taking moment at?
Reply 391
So, so annoyed _ if this hadnt been after c3 - i could have done this, i got both parts of 6, but screwed up conical pendulums- I just dont know what happened - my method was completely right!, just terribly carried out, and then for k i did get 5/4 but decied to check my answer in the twenty minuites i had left at the end and changed it to 1.3 deciding that it was tan instead of sin - then i gave up and just sort of sat there in a trance for 15minutes - i didnt want to know that any of my other answers were wrpng). Id say a score of 60max. I phase out after about 2 hours of exams and now fp2 is straight after biol5, wave good bye to an A* in further :frown:.
Well at least c3 went well :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 392
Original post by blacklistmember
Thanks for the upload. It's amazing how you remember all the questions. I usually forget everything before i leave the exam room.

My guilty secret is ... I'm teacher and I can download the paper from the Emporium the day after the exam. (But not post it here, I'm afraid - they are very insistant you don't pass it on to "unauthorised users" :mad:)
Original post by MAD Phil
My guilty secret is ... I'm teacher and I can download the paper from the Emporium the day after the exam. (But not post it here, I'm afraid - they are very insistant you don't pass it on to "unauthorised users" :mad:)

Still the marking scheme is a great help. I use it to calculate the required mark for the remaining modules.
Reply 394
Original post by blacklistmember
Still the marking scheme is a great help. I use it to calculate the required mark for the remaining modules.

My pleasure! Especially as it seems I didn't make such a mess of it as I did M4, which I had to correct several times.
Original post by MAD Phil
My pleasure! Especially as it seems I didn't make such a mess of it as I did M4, which I had to correct several times.

would you be able to make a prediction on the grade boundaries?
Reply 396
if its any consolation, i missed out three 6 marker questions! so you guys will have done way better lol
HARDEST EXAM I'VE EVER SAT IN MY LIFE!!! :frown:
Reply 397
Original post by t.mo
if its any consolation, i missed out three 6 marker questions! so you guys will have done way better lol
HARDEST EXAM I'VE EVER SAT IN MY LIFE!!! :frown:

I calculated that I got 43 marks on it :/ So you would have beaten me.

I now need a very high FP2 score to make up for this and meet my offer :/
Reply 398
same :frown: i need to do well in fp2 now :frown:
the moments question with 45degrees angle i knew how to do , but in the exam i couldnt figure out where the angle actually is :frown: and question 6 i just left blank lol
well hopefully you will do better in fp2! goodluck
Reply 399
Original post by Killerstorm2
would you be able to make a prediction on the grade boundaries?

I think there were some rather awkward questions in there, but it wasn't nearly as bad as M4, where any questions which weren't mathematically too challenging seemed to have been phrased to make them linguistically challenging or confusing instead.

I don't have an intuitive feel for the grade boundaries. I did an analysis of the M4 paper, comparing each question with all others on the same topic since the introduction of 6-module A-levels, to demonstrate just how much more difficult it was than any of the others. (I've sent it to Edexcel to see whether it does any good.) But I don't think this paper was so out of line as to justify repeating the exercise.

Still, it does seem strange that it's the M's that seem to be causing all the complaints this year. It wouldn't be right if people ended up disadvantaged just because they happened to have chosen those modules, this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending