The Student Room Group

M3 Pre-Exam thread (edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Tomcrease
Oh, thanks, I haven't even looked in there yet, I'm scared about this paper now, I bet it will be another impossible one :tongue:

I hope not :frown: I need this to be quick and easy so I can afford to get lower marks in FP2/FP3/M5/S3/S4...
Reply 101
ok, so let me just get this straight, do we need to know proofs of the centres of masses, e.g. of a hemisphere, cone, hemispherical shell etc, even though this is given to us in the exam?
this exam is not going to go well....
Reply 103
why oh why did they put this at the same time as c3?
Reply 104
can anyone tell me if we need to know the derivation of the (2r sinα)/(3α) formula? im tokin about the example-7 on page 125 in the book.
Just learn it, it took 5 min to understand and you will feel more confident. I hope there wouldn't be some impossible questions about toppling point etc, just simple 'find the angle' .

Also I've got a feeling that curved bank might appear (all that concept about weight component acting opposite to centripetal acceleration)
Reply 106
Jan 2005 Q4 part a) can someone explain what to do here, I dont understand why in the ms it says 2l-b = 2lcoswt , I though it'd be b=2lcoswt since we're using cos we'd start at B(Q)
Guys, I'm stuck on a question which seems so easy.
June 09, Question 1. The question explicitly states that the natural length is 8m, so why have they used 4m in the question? And why is the extension 3.5m?

Someone please enlighten me (+rep available!)

/hatem3.
Original post by sweetascandy
Guys, I'm stuck on a question which seems so easy.
June 09, Question 1. The question explicitly states that the natural length is 8m, so why have they used 4m in the question? And why is the extension 3.5m?

Someone please enlighten me (+rep available!)

/hatem3.

They're taking the the string and modelling it as two indentical strings of the same modulus of elasticity but half the length. It works if you model it just as one string as well.
I thinks it's really important to look at every drop of theory in the text book cause if this turns out anything like the M4 paper past papers wont do any good :s-smilie:
Reply 110
Can someone please explain to me June 2011 number 7 parts (d) and (e)? Why is the amplitude 0.2? Why is the x in x = acos(wt) -0.1? :s-smilie:

Link to the paper:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6679_01_que_20110616.pdf

Link to the mark scheme:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20MS/6679_01_rms_20110817.pdf
Reply 111
Original post by King_Arthur
I thinks it's really important to look at every drop of theory in the text book cause if this turns out anything like the M4 paper past papers wont do any good :s-smilie:

I'm thinking this too. But, of course, it's entirely possible that they could give us a stupidly easy paper just for laughs.

Edexcel trolling.
Anybody got any advice on the hardest M3 so far? Want to try and do that one tonight, if nothing else! Cheers :smile:
Original post by Kaiser7
Can someone please explain to me June 2011 number 7 parts (d) and (e)? Why is the amplitude 0.2? Why is the x in x = acos(wt) -0.1? :s-smilie:

Link to the paper:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20QP/6679_01_que_20110616.pdf

Link to the mark scheme:

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202011%20-%20MS/6679_01_rms_20110817.pdf

Hiya, Its 0.2 because the particle is oscillating about an equilibrium position and initially it is pulled 0.2m from its equilibrium position :. A=0.2

x is -0.1 because initially it is +0.2m from equilibrium, and in that part of the question it has moved to being 0.1m behind equilibrium, :. having moved past equilibrium and 0.1m towards A.

Hope this helps and goodluck tomorrow.
Reply 114
Original post by Barkziee
Hiya, Its 0.2 because the particle is oscillating about an equilibrium position and initially it is pulled 0.2m from its equilibrium position :. A=0.2

x is -0.1 because initially it is +0.2m from equilibrium, and in that part of the question it has moved to being 0.1m behind equilibrium, :. having moved past equilibrium and 0.1m towards A.

Hope this helps and goodluck tomorrow.

Thank you very much, and good luck to you too! :smile:
Original post by Laurence94
Anybody got any advice on the hardest M3 so far? Want to try and do that one tonight, if nothing else! Cheers :smile:

there is a really hard paper but the prob is wont be out till tomorrow :biggrin:

anyway here is a link for arseys grade boundaries in one chart so u can find the hardest paper
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1313284
Reply 117
Got this the same time as c3 tomorrow.. really hoping i do well on m3 (c3 aswell ofcourse) I Generally know what to do with every question, just sometimes my algebra gives me the wrong solution but because its m3 even if it looks weird it could probably be right :tongue: I really hope the proof for cofm of a semi-circle comes up! Been writing that one out over and over :tongue:
Reply 118

June 2009, 60/75 to get full ums (the last question is fairly terrible lol)
Original post by Benjyxo
Got this the same time as c3 tomorrow.. really hoping i do well on m3 (c3 aswell ofcourse) I Generally know what to do with every question, just sometimes my algebra gives me the wrong solution but because its m3 even if it looks weird it could probably be right :tongue: I really hope the proof for cofm of a semi-circle comes up! Been writing that one out over and over :tongue:

me too got M3 and C3 don't know y they put it together damn annoying
even the M4 was after FP1 so couldnt do it properly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending