Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast voted best British album of last 60 years

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nme.com/news/iron-maiden/64013

The top 10:

1. Iron Maiden – 'The Number Of The Beast'
    2. Depeche Mode – 'Violator'
    3. The Beatles – 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'
    4. The Beatles – 'Abbey Road'
    5. Pink Floyd – 'The Dark Side Of The Moon'
    6. The Beatles – 'Revolver'?
    7. Queen - 'A Night At The Opera'
    8. Oasis – '(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?'
    9. Adele - 21'
    10. The Beatles – 'White Album'

Agree? Disagree? Were One Direction robbed???
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Adele shouldn't be on the list.
    It's a good album, but not as good as the rest there.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well deserved, I say, but I don't think Adele belongs on there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I like Iron Maiden but i gotta say I'm suprised that album came out as best album, I mean where's Led Zeppelin ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Throw out Adele, replace with Rolling Stones. Probably Let It Bleed, or quite possibly Wild Horses.
    I would suggest Exile on Main St. but that was made in France due to tax reasons so it might not really count.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will Echoe the sentiment about Adele, and while I haven't heard the Oasis album in full, I don't like what I've heard by them at all.

Number of the beast may be their most popular, but I think Powerslave is a better album overall. Still a metal album being voted that is always nice, and it has mostly great songs, with a bit of filler too.

I voted for Loveless by My Bloody Valentine, (on the poll despite being Irish) too, shame they aren't up there, but I would have been surprised if they were.

Don't understand why Black Sabbath's debut was up for voting rather than paranoid (personally my favourite is sabotage, but if it's a popularity contest?)
    • 37 followers

I'm surprised Radiohead's OK Computer didn't rank on there (even though I'm not a fan of them I was always under the impression it was a critically acclaimed album).

Thought Coldplay would have made an appearance. Personally Urban Hymns by The Verve is one of my favourites. But except for the inclusion of Adele, I can't disagree with the rest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    NME trying to provoke a reaction, what a stupid choice for number 1
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    I'm surprised Radiohead's OK Computer didn't rank on there (even though I'm not a fan of them I was always under the impression it was a critically acclaimed album).

Thought Coldplay would have made an appearance. Personally Urban Hymns by The Verve is one of my favourites. But except for the inclusion of Adele, I can't disagree with the rest.
    To be fair, a few of Radiohead's albums could have made the list.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems a good shout to me, it is a cracking album.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks pretty good, don't agree with number 9 though...
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don_lad_)
    NME trying to provoke a reaction, what a stupid choice for number 1
    If the replies on this thread so far are anything to go by, the only reaction they'll get is yours.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    No Led Zep and no Rolling Stones on there?

Or Radiohead or Black Sabbath?

Four Beatles albums? Reeeeeeeeeeeeaally?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Don't understand why Black Sabbath's debut was up for voting rather than paranoid
    Because Black Sabbath's debut is much, much better than Paranoid. Plus I think this poll deals more with musical impact, perhaps?

Regardless, Adele should not be on there, the Sex Pistols probably should, however much I dislike them, and one album by The Beatles is enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, it was a poll done by HMV, it's not an NME-chosen list.

I'm personally glad to see Maiden top the list. Of their albums, I actually prefer the first two (Killers is the best thing they ever did) but it's refreshing to see it top the list over the usual suspects that always pop up in these polls. Though I'm disappointed there's nothing by the Stones on there.

On another note, it's a pleasant surprise to see Violater get #2. ****ing love a bit of Depeche Mode.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's an awful list.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    This, Radiohead and The Verve should defo be on there!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Because Black Sabbath's debut is much, much better than Paranoid. Plus I think this poll deals more with musical impact, perhaps?

Regardless, Adele should not be on there, the Sex Pistols probably should, however much I dislike them, and one album by The Beatles is enough.
    I think it's more difficult to call, I LOVE every song on paranoid, and I listen to it more than Black Sabbath. i was just surprised is all, seeing how it's more famous, what with Iron man and Paranoid. Not often a poll goes for anything other than popularity
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awesome to see Iron Maiden at the top!! I think they're definitely up there among the greatest bands ever, there are very, very few who have managed to continue making great album, after great album over such a long period of time. Granted, they have had a few dips in their disography but they really only have 1 or 2 'bad' albums out of 15, spanning 30 years. That's impressive!
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Well like I said if the critics rated it then it must have been good although I'm not sure I agree with them on Adele though. To think Adele's album has outsold Thriller in the UK.....MJ would have been turning (well moonwalking) in his grave. I never really saw the fuss about Adele or Amy Winehouse. Led Zep's 'Whole Lotta Love' imo has to be the best track by a British act ever.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.