Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPhone 4S OR Samsung Galaxy S3?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have searched for this at TSR, but couldn't find any thread about it, so I thought to make a new one. iPhone 4S-16Gb and SGS3, both factory unlocked are of approximately the same price(£500), but SGS3 seems to have more specifications. I have never owned an iPhone, so I really want to buy it, but sometimes I think that I'm being stupid.

Any suggestions about what phone should I buy, please?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    S3 - money well spent.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely upon what operating system you prefer.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go with the 4S just because I like playing games on my phone and the difference between the Apple and Android app stores is massive. Also I dont like how cheap the Galaxy phones feel due to the plastic. However £500 for the 4S seems like a bit much given that the iPhone 5 will probably come out later this year and the price will drop. Personally I have a Galaxy S2 and i'll probably swap it for an iPhone 5 if/when its released, unless the price is too ridiculous.

It totally depends on your needs though; do you want a bigger+better screen and the ability to customise your phone, or do you want one which feels a lot better in your hand and has better apps?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had this choice and decided on the 4S. No regrets! I tried out them both for a while and just loved using the iphone, and didn't like using the S3 anywhere near as much. I'm more interested in how nice it is to use than the techno-dork specs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    I'd probably go with the 4S just because I like playing games on my phone and the difference between the Apple and Android app stores is massive. Also I dont like how cheap the Galaxy phones feel due to the plastic. However £500 for the 4S seems like a bit much given that the iPhone 5 will probably come out later this year and the price will drop. Personally I have a Galaxy S2 and i'll probably swap it for an iPhone 5 if/when its released, unless the price is too ridiculous.

It totally depends on your needs though; do you want a bigger+better screen and the ability to customise your phone, or do you want one which feels a lot better in your hand and has better apps?
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    I had this choice and decided on the 4S. No regrets! I tried out them both for a while and just loved using the iphone, and didn't like using the S3 anywhere near as much. I'm more interested in how nice it is to use than the techno-dork specs.
    I actually care about the stability of OS and the features that it offers. This video has really changed my mind about iOS:

For example, I want to multi task, but this video shows that multi-tasking in iPhone isn't true multi-tasking as it pauses the files being downloaded in order to play a youtube video, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    S3- iphone 4s will soon be behind as iPhone is coming out and then 5s, then maybe 6..... S3 will stay the top phone from Smasung for a while, unlike Apple. Just my opinion. However, for things like apps, iphone is the way to go....
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Hello,

I have searched for this at TSR, but couldn't find any thread about it, so I thought to make a new one. iPhone 4S-16Gb and SGS3, both factory unlocked are of approximately the same price(£500), but SGS3 seems to have more specifications. I have never owned an iPhone, so I really want to buy it, but sometimes I think that I'm being stupid.

Depends, are you bothered about customising your phone? Android has more freedom for customisation and is more open to manipulation. The S3 is also better for multitasking and had better performance on games (though if you really want that, buy a cheaper phone + a vita or something). The iPhone has a few more apps (not many though, as most apps are released on both OSes nowadays) and is apparently 'easier' to use. Which interface do you prefer? I wouldn't get too caught up on specs unless you're a bit of a techie, in which case you should certainly be buying android for all the techie things you can do

(Original post by Sohail123)
    S3- iphone 4s will soon be behind as iPhone is coming out and then 5s, then maybe 6..... S3 will stay the top phone from Smasung for a while, unlike Apple. Just my opinion. However, for things like apps, iphone is the way to go....
    Whilst I own a Galaxy S2 and am pretty pro-android - this is complete crap. Yes iPhones release every year, but so do flagship android phones. The S2 is barely a year old now and the S3 is coming out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    S3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    SIII all the way. Brand new phone, up to date specs (e.g. quad core processor), a few nifty new tricks and a very nice looking screen.

4S is too old, too small a screen and considering it's basically the same price as the SIII (which was released a few days ago) all points to getting the Samsung phone.

Alternatively you could wait for the iphone5
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPhone)
    S3 - money well spent.
    Oh the irony.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both of them has good brand,but i think you have to go with Samsung s3,this is latest one with latest technology.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Oh the irony.
    Lol Im not actually a fan of the iPhone, or any Apple products in fact. I just signed up with this name cause it's easy to remember
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    iPhone any day. For me personally the OS on the iPhone is 10X better than any other phone out there.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Hello,

It's not even a contest anymore. The S3 has a much better screen with much more vibrant colours but with around the same pixel density as well as being much larger (4.8 inches against a miniature 3.5 inches). It is also faster due to a more powerful cpu (quad core vs dual core) and a more powerful gpu and more ram. The difference between the android app store and the apple app store is minimal. The vast majority of things you can find in one store you'll find in the other. There is just simply no reason whatsoever to buy the iphone over the S3. In every way the samsung phone exceeds it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait a few months for the iPhone 5, it'll be the next big phone, as iPhone's complete redesigns always are.

If I was offered a 4s or S3 I'd still take the iPhone. I just prefer the build of them, the glass screen is so much nicer as well - also prefer OS to Android. Overall though, they're both excellent phones and you won't go wrong by buying either one - its just down to personal preference.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPhone)
    Lol Im not actually a fan of the iPhone, or any Apple products in fact. I just signed up with this name cause it's easy to remember
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely say the S3, the new Android system has improved leaps and bounds and now is well ahead of IOS

I would also perhaps encourage you to look at other top-end Androids, like the HTC One X or One S, which I think are just as great.

Good Luck in finding a phone that suits you because that's all that matters
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had both and iPhone wins hands down. The OS is so much nicer. Although saying that the iPhone 5 will prob be out later this year so buy the S3 now and when it breaks in a few months you can upgrade to the new iPhone :-D
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Samsung Galaxy Note (Forget the S3) - Recently upgraded to it and it's the best phone I've ever had and puts my old iPhone to shame

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.