The Student Room Group

Why are the judges so lenient?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by facdroit
He that will steal an egg will steal an ox.

I'm not even going to entertain this ridiculous notion with a thought out response because it is so dumb.

I don't understand this. A rapist can serve 2-3 years in prison. A drunk driver that kills people will be unlucky if he serves any time at all. Violent criminals aren't even getting a decade anymore. The prison system is a joke, it's a slap on the wrist and career criminals are taking advantages of it.
I'm all for the death penalty. The cost of commiting a crime is much higher when getting caught means dying.

Do it Saudi arabia style: rapists get their penis cut and you'll see how much rape will decline.
Start jailing drug users: no demand, no supply.

Stop being so lenient.

Murder- death
Rape- death
Assault- 20 years
Armed robbery- 20 years
Drug trafficing/distribution- death
Drug posession- 10 years
sodomy- 5 years
Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

And stop wasting public money and time by having a divorce take 2 years to resolve in court. It should be dealt with in a matter of weeks, 2-3 months at best.
It's a joke that it takes 2 minutes to sign a paper and get married but that long to get divorced.

If we stopped this war on drugs and started treating addicts like the people with an illness that they are the situation would improve tremendously.
Reply 61
Just noticed that he wants to jail all drug users as well.

That'll be 90%+ of the current teenage/ young adults in jail then. Not to mention the sodomy bit. Most of the countries population would be in jail like this.
Reply 62
Original post by Happydude
I'm not even going to entertain this ridiculous notion with a thought out response because it is so dumb.

If we stopped this war on drugs and started treating addicts like the people with an illness that they are the situation would improve tremendously.

Or you could just throw them in a prison system without drugs in it.
The best way to treat an addict is to stop him from using whatever he is addicted to, it'll be painful for him but who cares.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
They shouldn't. In fact, the guy was actually released after a year and three months for killing a serving UK soldier.

So why do you say anything over 8 years would be wrong? Surely your dads cousin's life was worth more than 8 years?
Reply 64
Original post by Carecup
Just noticed that he wants to jail all drug users as well.

That'll be 90%+ of the current teenage/ young adults in jail then. Not to mention the sodomy bit. Most of the countries population would be in jail like this.

In the beginning yes but once people realise that a joint is 5 years they'll stop smoking marijuana and start being productive.
Reply 65
Original post by manchesterunited15
So why do you say anything over 8 years would be wrong? Surely your dads cousin's life was worth more than 8 years?

You hit the nail in the coffin.

Repped
Reply 66
In the beginning yes but once people realise that a joint is 5 years they'll stop smoking marijuana and start being productive.

While we're at it lets ban all leisure time cause you know you clearly aren't being 'productive'.

Oh yerh and the prohibition of drugs have really stopped all drug crime so far hasn't it.
Reply 67
Original post by Carecup
While we're at it lets ban all leisure time cause you know you clearly aren't being 'productive'.

Oh yerh and the prohibition of drugs have really stopped all drug crime so far hasn't it.

The pot smell is strong in you.

Cute, modern day hippies defending their drug use.
Or you could just throw them in a prison system without drugs in it.
The best way to treat an addict is to stop him from using whatever he is addicted to, it'll be painful for him but who cares.

Obviously not you. I feel pretty bad for you that you seem to have gotten this far in life with no compassion for anyone else. Hopefully one day you'll change!
Reply 69
Original post by Happydude
Obviously not you. I feel pretty bad for you that you seem to have gotten this far in life with no compassion for anyone else. Hopefully one day you'll change!

I do have compassion just not for violent criminals,drug users and the like.

Please watch the 3 guys 1 hammer video and then come tell me we need less harsh sentences.
Reply 70
The pot smell is strong in you.

Cute, modern day hippies defending their drug use.

Argumentation 101-

Attack the argument not the person making the argument.
Reply 71
I don't understand this. A rapist can serve 2-3 years in prison. A drunk driver that kills people will be unlucky if he serves any time at all. Violent criminals aren't even getting a decade anymore. The prison system is a joke, it's a slap on the wrist and career criminals are taking advantages of it.
I'm all for the death penalty. The cost of commiting a crime is much higher when getting caught means dying.

Do it Saudi arabia style: rapists get their penis cut and you'll see how much rape will decline.

Stop being so lenient.

Murder- death
Rape- death
Assault- 20 years
Armed robbery- 20 years
Drug posession- 10 years
sodomy- 5 years
Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

And stop wasting public money and time by having a divorce take 2 years to resolve in court. It should be dealt with in a matter of weeks, 2-3 months at best.
It's a joke that it takes 2 minutes to sign a paper and get married but that long to get divorced.

Yes your system is very effective. A similar system is in practice in Thailand. So effective their prisons are overpopulated and they only have 200000 inmates in a 65million country. About 70% of the crimes being drug related. They even have hard labour in their sentences. We only need to increase our prisons by 150% to have a similar system. Nice:rolleyes:
Reply 72

I know many professionals who use drugs with no great harm to their work. Some of them are more successful than you will ever be.

Please use some other sources than "Catholic Weekly" or whatever BS you came us with last time to refute this.

Stop being so lenient.

Murder- death
Rape- death
Assault- 20 years
Armed robbery- 20 years
Drug posession- 10 years
sodomy- 5 years
Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

You do realise how many men are falsely accused of rape/
While I agree our sentencing structure is a complete joke, I don't think such harsh punishments should exist for minor crimes. One of the reasons crime rates in the USA despite having the death penalty in several states are so high is because even for minor crimes the punishments are severe, so why not go the whole hog and commit something really serious? If we made everything super tough we would have problems with people committing worse acts if the sentence is going to be harsh regardless of what they do.

What's with sodomy being there anyway? What is it to you that consenting couples have anal sex?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IndyAM
I know many professionals who use drugs with no great harm to their work. Some of them are more successful than you will ever be.

Please use some other sources than "Catholic Weekly" or whatever BS you came us with last time to refute this.

Don't mean to butt in but it annoys me when people make comments like that, you do not know the person you are speaking to and have no idea what they are capable of, so why put people down like that?

8 years =/= 2 and a half years.
Reply 77
I fail to see how judges are "lenient", you get years in prison for growing a plant or for looking at photos on your computer or for having consensual sex. That sounds draconian and tyrannical to a rational person.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
8 years =/= 2 and a half years.

yes and I'm saying why did you say 8 years would be enough?
yes and I'm saying why did you say 8 years would be enough?

Because of the single punch rule. I could go punch a guy in the street right now, and have been assaulted myself a couple of times, and would never expect the perpetrator to get anywhere near 8 years. It's really the intent that matters. Once the guy ceases to be a danger to the public then I'm not particularly bothered about punishment for the sake of punishment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending