The Student Room Group

Why are the judges so lenient?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Because of the single punch rule. I could go punch a guy in the street right now, and have been assaulted myself a couple of times, and would never expect the perpetrator to get anywhere near 8 years. It's really the intent that matters. Once the guy ceases to be a danger to the public then I'm not particularly bothered about punishment for the sake of punishment.

punching =/= murder
Original post by manchesterunited15
punching =/= murder

Never heard of single punch manslaughter?
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Never heard of single punch manslaughter?

Oh. You never said.
Reply 83
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Don't mean to butt in but it annoys me when people make comments like that, you do not know the person you are speaking to and have no idea what they are capable of, so why put people down like that?

The OP wants 5 years in prison for people who commit sodomy, and prison for all drug users, and can only support his views with the Catholic Times or some other worthless publication purporting that gay people live 20 years less because they are gay.

Richard Branson is an avid supporter of drug decriminalisation, he is one of the most successful people to have lived. While this is not the person I am referring to, he is more successful than the OP is ever likely to be.

I'll change the statement I made to "More successful than the Op is ever LIKELY to be" if it makes you happy?
Because prisons are full and this inept country would rather let criminals roam about rather than spending money on making new prisons.
Reply 85
Mental.

To keep people in prison for some of those crimes for that long will severly drive up the cost, yet you are complaining about money.

10 years for drug posession, are you Ann Widicombe? Death for drug dealing? Jeez

5 Year for sodomy. Jesus christ, since you love it so much I suggest you move to Saudi Arabia (despite the fact they have a thriving gay scene in Riyadh and Jeddah.

The rest is all too harsh, what if the murder is a crime of passion? Or someone murders a known serial rapist or something

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess you are some kind of Christian/Muslim fruitcake or a BNP traditionalist space muffin, or are a secularist, but filled with pure hatred.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by facdroit
I do have compassion just not for violent criminals,drug users and the like.

Please watch the 3 guys 1 hammer video and then come tell me we need less harsh sentences.

Violent criminals are completely different from drug users. Criminals choose to do what they do. Addicts don't. I'm not saying they started using drugs unintentionally, but I can guarantee most never intended to commit crimes such as theft to fund their habit. They probably want out of their situation, and want help to cure them of their addiction. Violent criminals are absolutely nothing like that.

I don't think you know the meaning of compassion.
The pot smell is strong in you.

Cute, modern day hippies defending their drug use.

I don't use but I will defend.

Some people have a joint at the end of a day to wind down, destress, why should these people be punished because they prefer the mellow level a joint will put them on rather than consuming the poison that is alcohol. ( I consume the poison that is alcohol every once in a while just saying )

Cannabis and Hemp have been trashed by governments for a very long time where their time would have been better spent experimenting with the by products like hemp oil and hemp rope etc etc. Also cannabis has medicinal qualities and has been proven to alleviate asthma symptoms, multiple sclerosis etc etc.

Governments would rather stuff people full of man made 'medicine' because it creates income for them. They ignore the fact that much of the 'drugs' that grow from the ground can be beneficial to people with serious illness like cancer etc etc, and the stuff from the ground could be argued to have less detrimental side effects than a man made 'equivalent'.

Go read a book or something before you comment on something you know nothing about.
OP is completely correct that the sentencing in the UK is extremely bad.It is not just OP,who thinks this,not too long ago there was a big protest,near where I live about murderers not being sentenced for life in Prison and the average prison sentence for murder is often 20 years,which is a joke and if we lock up prisoners for longer then less crimes will be committed because let out prisoners have often went on to murder more and capital punishment is even better because it saves all the money,that would be wasted on the prisoners.

I think the quality of prison needs to be vastly diminished and people shouldn't be feed any more than Africans get and I want to hear of prisoners dying from disease and malnutrition but I have never heard of it,yet has happened in Africa and they haven't done anything wrong and I have heard of people,who deliberately commit crimes to get good quality food and services in prison and this is not right.In truth there is no excuse for any serious crime,like murder because they have been told-is what I always think and we really need to torture and get rid of these evils souls,so that more money can be spent on good souls.
I don't understand this. A rapist can serve 2-3 years in prison. A drunk driver that kills people will be unlucky if he serves any time at all. Violent criminals aren't even getting a decade anymore. The prison system is a joke, it's a slap on the wrist and career criminals are taking advantages of it.
I'm all for the death penalty. The cost of commiting a crime is much higher when getting caught means dying.

Do it Saudi arabia style: rapists get their penis cut and you'll see how much rape will decline.
Start jailing drug users: no demand, no supply.

Stop being so lenient.

Murder- death
Rape- death
Assault- 20 years
Armed robbery- 20 years
Drug trafficing/distribution- death
Drug posession- 10 years
sodomy- 5 years
Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

And stop wasting public money and time by having a divorce take 2 years to resolve in court. It should be dealt with in a matter of weeks, 2-3 months at best.
It's a joke that it takes 2 minutes to sign a paper and get married but that long to get divorced.

People can do what they want only if it's in private and in their own home. Who cares which way they had sex. If it was cheating on someone perhaps but the positions are of no importance.

If drugs were put on a death penalty how can people in the possession of drugs still be sent to prison. And it's not as if they're bad.. how would people know which drugs to distinguish being sent to prison for? Recreational or Medicinal?

Murder and Rape I agree with though. Most of these people don't feel remorse or guilt of any kind.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Dalek1099
OP is completely correct that the sentencing in the UK is extremely bad.It is not just OP,who thinks this,not too long ago there was a big protest,near where I live about murderers not being sentenced for life in Prison and the average prison sentence for murder is often 20 years,which is a joke and if we lock up prisoners for longer then less crimes will be committed because let out prisoners have often went on to murder more and capital punishment is even better because it saves all the money,that would be wasted on the prisoners.

I think the quality of prison needs to be vastly diminished and people shouldn't be feed any more than Africans get and I want to hear of prisoners dying from disease and malnutrition but I have never heard of it,yet has happened in Africa and they haven't done anything wrong and I have heard of people,who deliberately commit crimes to get good quality food and services in prison and this is not right.In truth there is no excuse for any serious crime,like murder because they have been told-is what I always think and we really need to torture and get rid of these evils souls,so that more money can be spent on good souls.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

^ What your post reads like. Please go back and fix it up a bit so I can go ahead and destroy your argument.
Original post by Carecup
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

^ What your post reads like. Please go back and fix it up a bit so I can go ahead and destroy your argument.

No it doesn't read like that.The meaning is pretty clear throughout the post,the SPaG isn't perfect but there shouldn't be any hindrance in meaning.
Reply 92
''male homosexuals and bisexuals lose up to 20 years of their life expectancy, compared to 13.5 years for cigarette smokers:''

http://catholicism.org/government-issues-warning-on-dangers-of-sodomy.html
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/ho0075.html

well done
''male homosexuals and bisexuals lose up to 20 years of their life expectancy, compared to 13.5 years for cigarette smokers:''

http://catholicism.org/government-issues-warning-on-dangers-of-sodomy.html
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/ho0075.html

Both links are Catholic,which means that they will only report studies to stop people committing acts against god,there could have been millions of studies saying that homosexuals dying very early is false and these wouldn't be used by the website because they want to try to convince homosexuals,to stop having sex because this is taught as a sin and bad by catholic's and especially extremely orthodox Catholic.Although I'm not a big fan of gay sex,it shouldn't be classed as a crime because both people are committing but this isn't the real message that OP wants to voice,which is that people aren't punished enough for crimes.
(edited 11 years ago)

sodomy- 5 years

What? Maybe we should monitor everything everyone ever does ever too. How about cameras everywhere. No! I have a better idea. Rather than having a list of things that are not allowed, it would make more sense to have a list of things which are allowed. Death if you are doing something that is not on the list.

Theft- 15 years
petty theft- 5 years

Pretty harsh.

Assault- 20 years

Off-topic, but if someone assaults a police officer, is it any different from assaulting smoeone they know? I don't think it should be.
Reply 95
OP is completely correct that the sentencing in the UK is extremely bad.

It is not just OP,who thinks this,not too long ago there was a big protest,near where I live about murderers not being sentenced for life in Prison. The average prison sentence for murder is often 20 years,which is a joke.

If we lock up prisoners for longer then it will serve as a deterrent, hence less crimes will be committed. Prisoners who have been released often re-offend resulting in more murders. Capital punishment is an even better method of punishment because it saves all the money,that would be wasted on the prisoners.

I think the quality of prison needs to be vastly diminished and inmates shouldn't be feed any more than starvation rations, similar to some of the poorest in Africa. Heck, I want to hear of prisoners dying from disease and malnutrition but alas I have not as yet. Thousands die in Africa and many other parts of the world due to this and yet they have done nothing wrong. I have heard of people,who deliberately commit crimes to get good quality food and services in prison and this is not right.

In truth there is no excuse for any serious crime,like murder because they have been told. (Can't make sense out of this last bit) is what I always think and. We should implement a system of torture and eventual death penalty to free up funds for the law abiding citizens of this country.

I'm bored, hence I fixed up your post.

And now I'll go through it and respond to it since I can make sense of it.

It is not just OP,who thinks this,not too long ago there was a big protest,near where I live about murderers not being sentenced for life in Prison. The average prison sentence for murder is often 20 years,which is a joke.

First part is totally anecdotal but there's always a huge populist sentiment behind 'tougher sentences for crime' and the like. It bares very little relevance to the debate in hand. Second part you are wrong about. The crime of murder carries a mandatory life sentence which can be 15,20,25 or full life depending on the severity of the crime committed and the judge's discretion.

If we lock up prisoners for longer then it will serve as a deterrent, hence less crimes will be committed. Prisoners who have been released often re-offend resulting in more murders. Capital punishment is an even better method of punishment because it saves all the money,that would be wasted on the prisoners.

There is much evidence that suggests this isn't the case.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/2007/01/the_irrational_18yearold_criminal.html

Capital punishment costs on average in the US just as much if not more than life in prison thanks to the strenuous legal procedure they must go through to ensure that the prisoner is in fact guilty (even then they have still executed innocent men).

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

I think the quality of prison needs to be vastly diminished and inmates shouldn't be feed any more than starvation rations, similar to some of the poorest in Africa. Heck, I want to hear of prisoners dying from disease and malnutrition but alas I have not as yet. Thousands die in Africa and many other parts of the world due to this and yet they have done nothing wrong. I have heard of people,who deliberately commit crimes to get good quality food and services in prison and this is not right.

Human rights? Ever heard of them? Also hope you've never downloaded any copyrighted music or other media, since you know that is an indictable offense that can carry a prison sentence, a prison sentence in one of your African hell hole prisons.

In truth there is no excuse for any serious crime,like murder because they have been told. (Can't make sense out of this last bit) is what I always think and. We should implement a system of torture and eventual death penalty to free up funds for the law abiding citizens of this country.

Crimes of passion? Battered women/men? Self Defense? Provocation? There are plenty of reasons someone can commit murder. Already dealt with the second point.
Original post by Carecup
I'm bored, hence I fixed up your post.

And now I'll go through it and respond to it since I can make sense of it.

First part is totally anecdotal but there's always a huge populist sentiment behind 'tougher sentences for crime' and the like. It bares very little relevance to the debate in hand. Second part you are wrong about. The crime of murder carries a mandatory life sentence which can be 15,20,25 or full life depending on the severity of the crime committed and the judge's discretion.

There is much evidence that suggests this isn't the case.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/2007/01/the_irrational_18yearold_criminal.html

Capital punishment costs on average in the US just as much if not more than life in prison thanks to the strenuous legal procedure they must go through to ensure that the prisoner is in fact guilty (even then they have still executed innocent men).

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

Human rights? Ever heard of them? Also hope you've never downloaded any copyrighted music or other media, since you know that is an indictable offense that can carry a prison sentence, a prison sentence in one of your African hell hole prisons.

Crimes of passion? Battered women/men? Self Defense? Provocation? There are plenty of reasons someone can commit murder. Already dealt with the second point.

Why should humans,who have committed crime get human rights?and I don't think downloading media should be illegal,especially since the businesses,which make them are already making millions.
Reply 97
Why should humans,who have committed crime get human rights?and I don't think downloading media should be illegal,especially since the businesses,which make them are already making millions.

Because they are Human Rights for humans. You will commit a crime at some point in your life, in fact you've probably already committed a few. Thanks to your logic that will allow the government to torture and kill you with no due process.

Not to mention the whole generation of teenagers and young adults wiped out for minor drug offenses.
Reply 98
Original post by When you see it...
What? Maybe we should monitor everything everyone ever does ever too. How about cameras everywhere. No! I have a better idea. Rather than having a list of things that are not allowed, it would make more sense to have a list of things which are allowed. Death if you are doing something that is not on the list.

Pretty harsh.

Off-topic, but if someone assaults a police officer, is it any different from assaulting smoeone they know? I don't think it should be.

A police state is the only way to keep citizens in check.
The lowest crime rates in history have been reported in 2 different situations:
During times of very high economic prosperity
During times when martial law was under effect
Original post by Carecup
Because they are Human Rights for humans. You will commit a crime at some point in your life, in fact you've probably already committed a few. Thanks to your logic that will allow the government to torture and kill you with no due process.

Not to mention the whole generation of teenagers and young adults wiped out for minor drug offenses.

Only major offences,should warrant a sentence in jail,which will be a very harsh sentence because major crimes like murder/house robbery and not petty theft,there is no excuse for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending