The Student Room Group

A.S Biology or A.S English Literature?

Hi.... basically, am in year 11 right now, and have chosen to do Music, History, German and Biology for A levels. I would quite like to do Ancient History at university, but research tells me that taking English Literature isn't compulsory, but is preferred... Obviously I need to take history a level, and languages are good too, i'm doing Music and Biology because I find them fun and relatively easy, but I was thinking of swapping Biology with English Literature...? But I would quite like to do biology too, so how much work would doing all 5 at A.S be? Or starting with 5 then dropping one a couple of weeks in, or even doing my original 4 A.S this year, then next year drop one, as usual, then do English literature A.S? .... I'm confused as to what to do... much help would be appreciated :confused:
If you wanna do History do Eng. Lit. If you want an easier A do biology (I do it). History the best, though :}
Original post by AGrumpyMole
If you wanna do History do Eng. Lit. If you want an easier A do biology (I do it). History the best, though :}

Biology A level is most definitely not an east A!

OP: Why not do 4 AS subjects in Year 12, then drop one of them in Year 13 and replace that by taking up a 5th AS?
Original post by thegodofgod
Biology A level is most definitely not an east A!

OP: Why not do 4 AS subjects in Year 12, then drop one of them in Year 13 and replace that by taking up a 5th AS?

*easier
Reply 4
For someone aiming to do Ancient History - English Literature would be better.

You wouldn't be at a greater advantage doing 5 A Levels. Quality not Quantity. :wink:

Hope this helps
Reply 5
Hello! I do both biology and english lit at A2 (and have applied for History weirdly) and can safely say that i have totally gone off lit, whilst i still love biology, although that might just be me! I don't reccomend doing english on a whim; at A level you need real passion for it! With a language, music and history you should have no problem applying without english lit (i did 2 sciences at AS and still got offers :smile: ) x
Original post by AGrumpyMole
*easier

You know what I meant... :tongue:

Even then, it's not necessarily an easier A :rolleyes:
Reply 7
BIOLOGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

trust me it's fun, easy to understand and learn, only two exams and 1 coursework
Reply 8
Original post by 007Shella
BIOLOGYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

trust me it's fun, easy to understand and learn, only two exams and 1 coursework

Good point - what is actually in the Biology and English Lit course? :confused:
You could do Biology in a week. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by sebastienlewis
You could do Biology in a week. :smile:

how?
Reply 11
Original post by pollypix123
Good point - what is actually in the Biology and English Lit course? :confused:

not sure about English literature
but Biology is pretty simple to understand, I only had a days revision before each biology exam and I got an A for the Unit 1, the Unit 2 results haven't come back

In English I think there are a few coursework.... try and find out
look at what each course includes, how many exams and coursework etc.
If your better at exams or coursework
Reply 12
Original post by 007Shella
not sure about English literature
but Biology is pretty simple to understand, I only had a days revision before each biology exam and I got an A for the Unit 1, the Unit 2 results haven't come back

In English I think there are a few coursework.... try and find out
look at what each course includes, how many exams and coursework etc.
If your better at exams or coursework

Thanks, this is quite helpful :smile:
Do whichever one you find easier. The university won't really care if you do English Lit or not. At the end of the day it's the grades which matter for the course you want to do, as long as you choose 3 respectable subjects for A Level then that's pretty much all that matters. Unless the course requirements specifically state that you MUST do a certain subject, so in your case I assume that subject would be History.
Reply 14
Original post by pollypix123
Thanks, this is quite helpful :smile:

Your welcome! Good luck!
Do what you want to do, both are respected A Levels so there isn't an issue there.....
Also be warned that most A Levels are different from GCSEs - Biology was my favourite subject at GCSE and now I'm not so keen... but I really love AS English Lit! It depends whether you like there being a definite right answer, or something that is more subjective!

As to what is in the English Lit course, it depends on what exam board it is etc
I'm doing AQA Lit B, and for that you have two pieces of coursework on plays, and then study two novels and two poets for a two hour long exam - I'd imagine most boards cover a similar kind of thing but I don't know...
Reply 16
Original post by Butterfly9595
It depends whether you like there being a definite right answer, or something that is more subjective!

Definate answers :rolleyes: i hate answers where it's questionable, not my best :colondollar:
aahh i dont know, i'll think on it and ask the 6th form office... thanks for your help guys :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest