Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Medicine/Science courses at Cambridge

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently sitting my AS levels and want to apply to Cambridge at the end of this year. I am currently unsure whether or not to apply to do medicine or a more general science course such as Biological Natural Sciences. The first 3 years of medicine at Cambridge are very scientific and so I was wondering whether if, after 3 years of medicine, I decided that this was not what I wanted to do whether I would be able to pull out of medicine and still end up with a degree in something else. Does anybody know?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to study medicine?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _typo_)
    I am currently sitting my AS levels and want to apply to Cambridge at the end of this year. I am currently unsure whether or not to apply to do medicine or a more general science course such as Biological Natural Sciences. The first 3 years of medicine at Cambridge are very scientific and so I was wondering whether if, after 3 years of medicine, I decided that this was not what I wanted to do whether I would be able to pull out of medicine and still end up with a degree in something else. Does anybody know?
    Cambridge is a compulsory 6 year course - in your third year you can study whatever you want as an intercalated degree - even law. You could drop out after doing this, but remember Cambridge medicine is MUCH harder to get an offer for than Nat Sci. (need amazing BMAT, no automatic pooling, 6 : 1 for med whereas 3.5 : 1 for natsci, interviews can involve the whole normal medicine interview stuff (ethics, doctor skills, doctor stuff etc, personality traits, work experience etc), as well as having another normal science interview), generally need a bit higher grades as its so competitive.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't intend to do medicine long-term, don't apply for medicine. It is true that after 3 years you can leave Cambridge with a BA and go off to do whatever you like (I know one or two people who've done this) but if you're more interested in science than actually practising medicine, the natsci course is much more flexible and will allow you to study some subjects in more depth than you'll get in medicine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this has been helpful. I think I have been persuaded by the people around me that medicine is something to aim for but, in reality, I am actually far more interested in the science, particularly chemistry. My latest thoughts are therefore to go for Natsci or chemistry and I can always to a post grad medicine degree if I change my mind.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you this has been helpful. I think I have been persuaded by the people around me that medicine is something to aim for but, in reality, I am actually far more interested in the science, particularly chemistry. My latest thoughts are therefore to go for Natsci or chemistry and I can always to a post grad medicine degree if I change my mind.
    Woo! Theo!

This isn't a trigger reaction to the fact you seem convinced that you "failed" biology?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oglogski)
    Woo! Theo!

This isn't a trigger reaction to the fact you seem convinced that you "failed" biology?
    No Jan, although I'm sure I've dropped quite a few UMS
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No Jan, although I'm sure I've dropped quite a few UMS
    I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised come results day.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 117r)
    I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised come results day.
    Somehow, with TC, I doubt it. Unless he doesn't drop a single UMS
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oglogski)
    Somehow, with TC, I doubt it. Unless he doesn't drop a single UMS
    That's true actually, he is a nutter lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.