The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HaQ_mAn_
I don't see an MMA society!!!! :frown: If i dnt have somewhere to train i'm gonna go mad!

If MMU have one, it's possible to join that (though few seem to know about the reciprocal arrangements, so you might have to push a bit). Failing that, have a look for some local clubs - I'm sure there's somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I'm an international student (though I have studied here for 6 years now) planning to study architecture at Manchester University in 2014 and I'm looking at accommodations.

Personally, I would like the place to be crowed but not too many people. I'm happy with Shared Bathroom (maybe with wash basin)

Any suggestions on:
Self catering vs catered
City centre vs Fallowfield

So far people have suggested:
Grosvenor Place (I heard that Due for demolition and it will not available for 2014/15 onwards)
Woolton
Allen Hall
Oakhaouse

Would you also suggest joining clubs/societies (Musics or LGBT) given the amount of work for an architectural student? And are these society within the uni?

Any architecture students who can give any suggestions?
Original post by justinckchung
I'm an international student (though I have studied here for 6 years now) planning to study architecture at Manchester University in 2014 and I'm looking at accommodations.

Personally, I would like the place to be crowed but not too many people. I'm happy with Shared Bathroom (maybe with wash basin)

Any suggestions on:
Self catering vs catered
City centre vs Fallowfield

So far people have suggested:
Grosvenor Place (I heard that Due for demolition and it will not available for 2014/15 onwards)
Woolton
Allen Hall
Oakhaouse

Would you also suggest joining clubs/societies (Musics or LGBT) given the amount of work for an architectural student? And are these society within the uni?

Any architecture students who can give any suggestions?

Have you read this thread at all? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Architecture students do have a fair amount of work to do, though a lot of it is more creative than academic. From observing friends of mine who do architecture, what I will say is that your life will be much easier if you keep on top of the workload. When people don't do that, they end up staying awake for three days straight (not pretty, at all)

However, you should have enough time to get involved with societies :yep:
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you read this thread at all? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Architecture students do have a fair amount of work to do, though a lot of it is more creative than academic. From observing friends of mine who do architecture, what I will say is that your life will be much easier if you keep on top of the workload. When people don't do that, they end up staying awake for three days straight (not pretty, at all)

However, you should have enough time to get involved with societies :yep:

Which house/hall would you recommend? Would I be better off in city centre or Fallowfield?
So im moving out for uni,but not sure about how the whole process works?id like to have an all girls living room,possibly with more than 2 people. An ambassador told me that oak house would be the cheapest, is that anywhere near the stopford building?im not too fussed about how "fancy" my living space is just aslong as its the cheapeat,haha, I only live 40 minutes away but id like to move out for temp just to see what its like:biggrin:

p.s Iv applied for Biomed ,itd be great if anyone in same position could kik/pm/message me with advice on where itd be best to apply!

Cheers!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i have a few questions.

I will be an international student of UoM this year (hopefully...)

I'm doing a twinning programme with my local university in Malaysia and transferring to UoM for year 2 LLB Law.

My questions are:

1. How do I know what sort of bursaries am i entitled to?

2. Will i need to submit a proof of my parents' pay slip to prove that I'm within the bracket of 'up to 25,000 p.a' or the bracket of 'between 25,000 to 46,250 p.a' or is the bursaries only available for E.U students?

3. What does it mean by 'cash bursaries'. As in do i get the money in terms of cash in my bank account?

4. If it is so, would it be given to me in full in one go or will it be in the form of installments?

Thank you.
Original post by Clementtan
Hi, i have a few questions.

I will be an international student of UoM this year (hopefully...)

I'm doing a twinning programme with my local university in Malaysia and transferring to UoM for year 2 LLB Law.

My questions are:

1. How do I know what sort of bursaries am i entitled to?

2. Will i need to submit a proof of my parents' pay slip to prove that I'm within the bracket of 'up to 25,000 p.a' or the bracket of 'between 25,000 to 46,250 p.a' or is the bursaries only available for E.U students?

3. What does it mean by 'cash bursaries'. As in do i get the money in terms of cash in my bank account?

4. If it is so, would it be given to me in full in one go or will it be in the form of installments?

Thank you.

I'm afraid the bursaries aren't available to international students :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm afraid the bursaries aren't available to international students :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Not sure if this is the right place to out this?

But I'm studying drama and screen studies, any screen studies students here?

Do I need a decent laptop like a mac for film editing/decent quality etc?

Thankyou :smile:
Hopefull this is the right place to post this...

I am studying Adult Nursing at UoM - any idea when we will get our timetables?

I am currently working full time and hoping to stay on doing some bank hours, would just like an idea of my availability (if any ha) for the first year so I can work out potential finances..

Uni's a bit scary to me as I'm a mature student (24) with my own house and bills etc so this is very daunting for me - but exciting all at the same time! :smile:

xx
Original post by mich90elle
Hopefull this is the right place to post this...

I am studying Adult Nursing at UoM - any idea when we will get our timetables?

I am currently working full time and hoping to stay on doing some bank hours, would just like an idea of my availability (if any ha) for the first year so I can work out potential finances..

Uni's a bit scary to me as I'm a mature student (24) with my own house and bills etc so this is very daunting for me - but exciting all at the same time! :smile:

xx

I don't know exact hours, but a lot of my close friends are nurses and they were in lectures pretty much 9-5 five days a week, then in second term it was 4 days + 1 day (8 hour shift) of placement.
Probably on the wrong section but I am roughly planning my budget and meat seem to be far more expensive than in my country (greece).
Is there any other source of meat other than supermarkets (butcher shops, a central market or something) to find cheaper meat? (I am following a high protein diet as I'm weight-training)
Original post by Dr.Quantum
Probably on the wrong section but I am roughly planning my budget and meat seem to be far more expensive than in my country (greece).
Is there any other source of meat other than supermarkets (butcher shops, a central market or something) to find cheaper meat? (I am following a high protein diet as I'm weight-training)

I'm not really the best person to ask as I don't eat meat. However, there are a number of halal butchers on the curry mile that sell cheaper meat (though some of it is so cheap that I'd seriously question what is wrong with it - it'll start with factory farming and then get worse).

It should be noted that most UK bodybuilders drink protein shakes which are whey based, which works out a lot cheaper than trying to eat piles of meat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many thanks for the quick response. Actually, I am going to use both whey shakes and meat.
Hi! I was wondering if the uni offers the option of Airport pick-up to those travelling by plane and arriving directly at Manchester. Thanks!
Original post by Tinkerbell10
Hi! I was wondering if the uni offers the option of Airport pick-up to those travelling by plane and arriving directly at Manchester. Thanks!

Yes they do. It's called the Airport Collection Service and you need to pre book on the website :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanted to say, if you guys are in two minds about what uni you want to go to tomorrow, I couldn't recommend highly enough. I've been there a year now and there's just so much going on and it's a fantastic city to be in right now. Not that I'm biased or anything. :rolleyes:

Also, Origami Bullets does a great job on these pages so make the most of them if you're stuck!

I can also answer some questions tomorrow if needs be so quote me if you want some advice.

Good luck tomorrow as well :smile:
Original post by Superunknown17
Just wanted to say, if you guys are in two minds about what uni you want to go to tomorrow, I couldn't recommend highly enough. I've been there a year now and there's just so much going on and it's a fantastic city to be in right now. Not that I'm biased or anything. :rolleyes:

Also, Origami Bullets does a great job on these pages so make the most of them if you're stuck!

I can also answer some questions tomorrow if needs be so quote me if you want some advice.

Good luck tomorrow as well :smile:

:love: Thank you!

I'll be around quite literally all day now, between here and the UCAS forum, so I'll be able to answer any questions people have :yep:
:love: Thank you!

I'll be around quite literally all day now, between here and the UCAS forum, so I'll be able to answer any questions people have :yep:

My Track says that my place at the university of manchester has been confirmed, but do I need to do anything right now or is it already accepted?
Original post by Hardik95
My Track says that my place at the university of manchester has been confirmed, but do I need to do anything right now or is it already accepted?

You're definitely in - congratulations! :king1:

Just make sure you've applied for accommodation http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 and keep an eye out for the emailed accommodation offer, which should come through in the next few days :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending