The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Origami Bullets
You're definitely in - congratulations! :king1:

Just make sure you've applied for accommodation http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 and keep an eye out for the emailed accommodation offer, which should come through in the next few days :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:

I've done that so hopefully I'll get some good accommodation! And thank you for all your help :biggrin:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Hardik95
Thank you :biggrin:

I've done that so hopefully I'll get some good accommodation! And thank you for all your help :biggrin:

No problem! :biggrin:
Hi,

When do we receive confirmation regarding accommodation
Original post by pendulumswinging
Hi,

When do we receive confirmation regarding accommodation

Should be in the next few days. The accommodation office is going to be ridiculously busy so don't worry. :smile:
What's manchester university like with multicoloured hair....?
I have a question everyone. I'm gonna be a first year student soon( well I have to do a foundation degree first which sucks but it gives me some time to think) at UoM and I was wondering if anyone has received their accommodation offers from the University yet, its been 3 days since A level results and I haven't heard anything yet from Manchester. Any help or is this normal

EDIT: Never mind, just read the previous reply to another's comment, so stoked to be going. Doing the Foundation degree in life sciences as I missed the grades on Chemistry alone( A2 was difficult and I had a lot of problems at home in personal life that messed me up but I came out with ABC though in Geog, Bio and Chem) so hopefully next year I will be able to start on a Pharmacology Degree or perhaps Zoology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by laurenn1995
What's manchester university like with multicoloured hair....?

Nobody will care... I've definitely seen promotional literature which featured a picture of a girl with turquoise hair before :biggrin:

Uni isn't like school - there are no dress codes, so long as you're not naked. You can turn up to lectures in a onesie for all the teaching staff will care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to switch from Business studies to International management, but I only got AAC instead of AAB do you think they would still let me switch once term starts?
Original post by datguyjay
I want to switch from Business studies to International management, but I only got AAC instead of AAB do you think they would still let me switch once term starts?

I haven't a clue if they'll let you, but you'll have much better chances if you ring up now rather than waiting until the start of term

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any other way of booking tickets for events during welcome week or do we have to wait until we receive our "Manchester.ac uk" email addresses' once we've registered?
PRANGEA LOOKS AWESOME
Original post by datguyjay

It could be difficult to switch from BS to IM, since IM is a Manchester Business School course, while Business Studies is SOSS BAEcon. I tried to do almost the same, but instead of switching to IM I tried to switch to Bsc Management and the places were filled up after the A-Levels results day.
I will be studying chemical engineering from this september and wanted to know whether we will be at the north campus or the main campus for the majority of our year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperNinja
I will be studying chemical engineering from this september and wanted to know whether we will be at the north campus or the main campus for the majority of our year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The James Chadwick is the brand new Chem Eng building, and it is on main campus, at the junction of Booth St East and Upper Brook Street. This is on the northern side of main campus (relatively near to north campus - a 5-10 min walk away). However, you may still have some teaching on north campus - I'm not familiar enough with the chem eng department to be definitive about it.
Is there any way to find out how many undergraduate students apply for certain courses?
I am interested in 'Mathematics and Financial Mathematics' (3 year course) and was hoping to know how many people apply vs how many places there actually are, to give me a better of idea of how competetive the course is.

Thanks
Original post by newguy101
Is there any way to find out how many undergraduate students apply for certain courses?
I am interested in 'Mathematics and Financial Mathematics' (3 year course) and was hoping to know how many people apply vs how many places there actually are, to give me a better of idea of how competetive the course is.

Thanks

Which?Uni suggests that 92% of applicants receive an offer http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q]=manchester%20financial%20maths
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Origami Bullets
Which?Uni suggests that 92% of applicants receive an offer http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q]=manchester%20financial%20maths

Thanks buddy :smile:
Is it it possible to go to the pangea event as a stand alone event rather than as part of the wristband option ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperNinja
Is it it possible to go to the pangea event as a stand alone event rather than as part of the wristband option ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The SU website says that only returning students can buy standalone tickets as it requires you to login to your university account. Most new students have already activated their accounts though, right?

In any case, you can find the link for standalone tickets here: http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/pangaea
Reply 239
Does anyone know on what campus Social Anthropology is taught? I was looking at accommodation and realised I didn't know :smile: Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending