The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about the kind of clothing to be worn at the university.
Do we need to get short or long-sleeved shirts to wear? Also, is it enough to get around 6 pairs of jeans, and around 11/12 t-shirts?
And about shoes. What kind would be the best to wear and work for different occasions? (Like sneakers, trainers, joggers etc)

I'll really appreciate anyone helping me out. Thanks a lot!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by StarStudent01
Hi everyone,
Do we need to get short or long-sleeved shirts to wear? Also, is it enough to get around 6 pairs of jeans, and around 11/12 t-shirts?
And about shoes. What kind would be the best to wear and work for different occasions? (Like sneakers, trainers, joggers etc)

It's really up to you and what you're comfortable in. There's no strict rules for the majority of the programmes. If you're doing something in the lab, you'll be required to wear a labcoat and no open shoes, if you're at the business school you might need to wear formal clothing, but besides that, wear what you find the comfortable.

Manchester specifically, make sure to bring a warerproof jacket and lots of warm clothing for the winter.
Original post by koryjstout
It's really up to you and what you're comfortable in. There's no strict rules for the majority of the programmes. If you're doing something in the lab, you'll be required to wear a labcoat and no open shoes, if you're at the business school you might need to wear formal clothing, but besides that, wear what you find the comfortable.

Manchester specifically, make sure to bring a warerproof jacket and lots of warm clothing for the winter.

Got it. Thanks!
Hi everyone,

Every now and then you hear stories about people who went to lectures in their pyjamas, so really don't worry about it. I pretty much exclusively wear jeans and I only owned 4 pairs in 1st year (then again, I do put very little effort into my appearance).
It would be smart to own at least one pair of shoes that can stand up to the rain. In bad weather I've worn walking boots to lectures and felt smug that I'm the only one there with dry feet. Also if you're in halls you'll have to use the awful shared washing machines so make sure you've got enough clothes that you dont have to use them too frequently.
Original post by jonzza_81
Every now and then you hear stories about people who went to lectures in their pyjamas, so really don't worry about it. I pretty much exclusively wear jeans and I only owned 4 pairs in 1st year (then again, I do put very little effort into my appearance).
It would be smart to own at least one pair of shoes that can stand up to the rain. In bad weather I've worn walking boots to lectures and felt smug that I'm the only one there with dry feet. Also if you're in halls you'll have to use the awful shared washing machines so make sure you've got enough clothes that you dont have to use them too frequently.

Okay. Thanks for the useful info!
Anyone get accepted with AAB for medicine and not doing MAP ?
Did anyone get that preparing email from Manchester, think it's a good sign or they sent it to everyone and im being paranoid.
Reply 467
Original post by dash52
Did anyone get that preparing email from Manchester, think it's a good sign or they sent it to everyone and im being paranoid.

I got the email.
Original post by Timi135
I got the email.

Just got another one, wbu
Reply 469
Original post by dash52

Nope. What was it about?
Original post by dash52

Ah I think it was a personal course specific email, don't think these emails mean anything. The uni's get our results over the weekend.
Would anyone rate the social life in specific halls any better than others within Fallow Fields ? E.g. Oak House to Richmond Park ..?
Original post by 2507
Hey guys,I got an offer for Economics and Finance (BAEcons).Currently considering to firm Manchester or Bristol.I have a few questions,hope you guys can answer them
1.In the manchester website,it said that in the end my degree would be BA (Hons) Economic and Social Studies but my offer on UCAS was Economics and Finance (3 Years) [BAEcon].Could someone clarify this for me?
2.I heard the student satisfaction for economics in manchester were pretty low,just wanted to know the reason behind this
3.Lastly,not really a question but if any of you have any insights on the quality of teaching of economics and finance at manchester,I'd appreciate it very much ! :biggrin:

The student satisfaction is low on that course due to the number of people in the course. Its one of the biggest economics and finance departments in the uk. The degree of Economics and finance is jointly offered by the Alliance Business Schooll(top 10 business school in the uk) and the School of Social Sciences.The school of social science delivers the Economics part.The Economics department is highly regarded worlwide.The name of the degree is Ba Econ Economics and Finance for short. I dont think you will have a problem with that.
Hello, does anyone know the guest/visitor policy for UoM?
Hi everyone, I will begin my course (BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering) this year at the University. There are some things I'd like help with.
I've read that it's much better to use a notebook and pen, instead of a laptop to write notes. Is this true?
Also, as an international student, would it be better to get stationery from your home country, or is it all cheaply available from Manchester?
And finally, the kind of stationery that is recommended. What kind of notebooks do people usually use, and of what size? Also, what kind of pens would be the best to use: ball-points or ink pointers?
I know these are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate someone answering these for me. Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi everyone, I will begin my course (BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering) this year at the University. There are some things I'd like help with.
I've read that it's much better to use a notebook and pen, instead of a laptop to write notes. Is this true?
Also, as an international student, would it be better to get stationery from your home country, or is it all cheaply available from Manchester?
And finally, the kind of stationery that is recommended. What kind of notebooks do people usually use, and of what size? Also, what kind of pens would be the best to use: ball-points or ink pointers?
I know these are a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate someone answering these for me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Almost everyone on my course uses a notebook and pen to make notes during lectures. The main advantage of this is it's much easier to keep up if you ever need make or copy drawings or diagrams during a lecutre. I do chemistry so this happens fairly often. (but then in the following week I always type up my notes)
There's pleanty of places to buy stationary in Manchester. You can get some in the Students' Union, but it will be cheapest to get it from Home Bargains or Poundland.
A4 lined notebooks are usually the notebooks of choice for students. Any handouts given to you during lectures are almost always A4, so it's easiest to keep everything the same size.
As you're likely to be the only one reading your notes use whatever kind of pen you prefer.

Hope this helps
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you, this was really helpful! I'll keep this in mind.
Hi everyone, I wanted ask that as an international student, which mobile network would you recommend using in Manchester? Thanks!
Hello, I'm thinking of applying and was wondering what the music scene in Manchester is like- I am a musician (guitar and vocals) so am looking for some pubs that do live music or if there is some musician community I could look at (facebook sites, open mics, etc). Thank youu
is anyone interested is having a room for denmark road for the remainder of this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending