The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester FAQ - almost everything you've ever wanted to know about UoM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Which modules would you recommend I take in the first semester?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by rfuzzy
Which modules would you recommend I take in the first semester?

Wait until you get there - you'll find that some are compulsory, and others sound more interesting than others to you when they are explained in freshers week.

Also, I'm not au fait enough with BSc Economics to start making those sorts of recommendations :wink:
Reply 82
Original post by Origami Bullets
I seem to spend £70-80 per week, plus rent and bills, though I have to admit that I spent more than this in first year. On top of that, you need to budget for big things like house deposits, bus passes and freshers week.

Yes, a bus pass is £200 per yer (well, it might be slightly more next year). I think I spent about £150 on freshers week, and £40-50 of that would have been on tickets, with other money going on things like fancy dress and drinks.

The cost of books is very variable based on your course. As a general rule of thumb, subjects that don't change much (e.g. maths) have cheaper textbooks because you can buy second hand copies, and subjects that do change (e.g. law) can be really quite expensive. You should only ever buy the core textbooks for your course, and always buy second hand where possible - if you only need to use a book on one week, then it will be in the library, but there are never enough copies of the core textbooks to go around.

Thank you so much ! That really helped :smile:
Do we need to get the books before we arrive in Manchester ? When will I know which are my core modules and which books I need ? Is it fine to ask current students on Facebook (like Manchester students FB groups) if they are willing to sell their books or is there a better way ?
Original post by Bambirina
Thank you so much ! That really helped :smile:
Do we need to get the books before we arrive in Manchester ? When will I know which are my core modules and which books I need ? Is it fine to ask current students on Facebook (like Manchester students FB groups) if they are willing to sell their books or is there a better way ?

You'll find out what books you need when you get here. Sometimes people sell via Facebook (though I'd look for adverts rather than asking, for various reasons; look for course specific pages) but some departments have notice boards where people sell books too. Truth be told, I invariably buy second hand on Amazon, and resell through it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
My paternal grandfather will be alone in my home country and he will be having a major operation during next year June final exams so it would be absolutely necessary for me to be there with him. Will it be possible by any chance that I will be allowed to take exams at a later date?
Original post by rfuzzy
My paternal grandfather will be alone in my home country and he will be having a major operation during next year June final exams so it would be absolutely necessary for me to be there with him. Will it be possible by any chance that I will be allowed to take exams at a later date?

Final exams finish around 6th June anyway, but whether out not you would get mitigating circumstances is unknown

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
If I am unable to attend orientation, will it be a disadvantage for me as I will have no idea of the campus and lecture rooms? do they give campus tour more than once during fresher week?
Also what sort of activities are there in the orientation as in some night parties also?
Reply 87
How will we be told what accommodation we receive and when will we be told? Also does the deposit have to be paid within a deadline of when you receive your off or when you know what accommodation you have been given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
can anyone please tell me on which day of the orientation they offer campus tour as I particular want to attend that day. Is it on the first,second or third day?
Original post by rfuzzy
If I am unable to attend orientation, will it be a disadvantage for me as I will have no idea of the campus and lecture rooms? do they give campus tour more than once during fresher week?
Also what sort of activities are there in the orientation as in some night parties also?

You will still be able to find your way around as there are maps dotted around campus + paper maps available + students in purple jumpers and 'ask me' badges whose job it is to help you. BUT orientation is SO much more than just finding your way around campus.

There will be presentations, police registration, campus tours (of which there will be more than one), trips to Asda, city tours and social activities, both day and night time.

Original post by Rejiaku
How will we be told what accommodation we receive and when will we be told? Also does the deposit have to be paid within a deadline of when you receive your off or when you know what accommodation you have been given.

You'll be told what accommodation you have got by email. The email will come through this month or next if you have an unconditional offer, or after results day if you have a conditional offer. You have to pay the deposit (£400) within 7 days of receiving the email.

Original post by rfuzzy
can anyone please tell me on which day of the orientation they offer campus tour as I particular want to attend that day. Is it on the first,second or third day?

The 2013 timetable will be released in late June http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/arrival/orientation/
Reply 90
Original post by Origami Bullets

You'll be told what accommodation you have got by email. The email will come through this month or next if you have an unconditional offer, or after results day if you have a conditional offer. You have to pay the deposit (£400) within 7 days of receiving the email.

The 2013 timetable will be released in late June http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/arrival/orientation/

7 days! Is that a joke! Loool. Oh wow. Will you have to pay by card? And on the email will it let you know when you have to move in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
Does anybody know how equally mixed the mixed-gender halls are? :smile: Is it usually 50/50?
Original post by Rejiaku
7 days! Is that a joke! Loool. Oh wow. Will you have to pay by card? And on the email will it let you know when you have to move in?

Nope, not a joke (though IMHO the accommodation office doesn't forewarn people as it should). I paid by card, but frankly (two years on!) I can't remember if there were any other payment options.

The move in dates are, judging by the last two years, 12th to 15th September.

Original post by Lgambo
Does anybody know how equally mixed the mixed-gender halls are? :smile: Is it usually 50/50?

Most are 50/50, though Ashburne is a notable exception (almost all female; only one small part of it is mixed). St Gabriel's and St Anselm's are the only single sex halls. However, there are differences in that some flats will be mixed gender and others single gender, though in the latter case nearby flats will have people of the opposite gender there.
Reply 93
Hi. How much would you spend in an average week (not including accommodation)?
Original post by berry94
I just laughed at that - "All the greats seem to come from there". Oasis? Nahhhhh. I live in Manchester and can't think of any greats.

As for the music scene, if you want to play indie or pop punk you're probably in the right place. I played in a 80's influenced hard rock band, got to play the Academy (and the academy is not inside the SU, Academy 2 and 3 are though).

Really if you want to play metal in Manchester, you're better trying to get some rep and seeing if anyone will book you for a support slot when a big band comes into town (playing the Ritz or Academy only, there's no chance of getting a one off slot at the Apollo)

Yeah all the greats! (Not necessarily metal but the amount of bands who have made it from there is insane) You've got the Bee Gees, John Cooper Clark,, The fall, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, The Smiths etc etc.... That sounds cool though about playing the Academy, I'm not expecting to play the Apollo - I want to just play for fun and I think I may find those sorts of people in Manchester....?!
Reply 95
Thank You for all your help!

Can you please tell me how employable uni Bsc Economics graduates are? After graduating are they recruited by firms like Goldman Sachs, Citi, Ernst & Young etc.
If possible please provide profile of graduates available anywhere or on linkedin so I can contact them:smile:
Reply 96
Original post by emilyjcastles
Yeah all the greats! (Not necessarily metal but the amount of bands who have made it from there is insane) You've got the Bee Gees, John Cooper Clark,, The fall, Happy Mondays, Joy Division, The Smiths etc etc.... That sounds cool though about playing the Academy, I'm not expecting to play the Apollo - I want to just play for fun and I think I may find those sorts of people in Manchester....?!

I guess you have a point there.

I imagine there are people who play for fun, as I am one of them. Ive met a lot of people / bands who take themselves deadly serious. They're usually the 'core' bands though, and I think they all sound and look the same anyway.

You might have a hard time finding a drummer and bass player though (I didn't have that problem as I play bass myself.)

Overall it's a good city though. You'll have fun. Although im ready to try somewhere new.

Good luck. Hope you get your place :smile:
Original post by berry94
I guess you have a point there.

I imagine there are people who play for fun, as I am one of them. Ive met a lot of people / bands who take themselves deadly serious. They're usually the 'core' bands though, and I think they all sound and look the same anyway.

You might have a hard time finding a drummer and bass player though (I didn't have that problem as I play bass myself.)

Overall it's a good city though. You'll have fun. Although im ready to try somewhere new.

Good luck. Hope you get your place :smile:

I see I see, and I think you tend to have problems finding bass and drums anywhere ( I live in Birmingham and it is still hard!) but gooooood I'm glad, thanks a lot, good luck to you wherever you end up!
Reply 98

Can you please tell me how employable uni Bsc Economics graduates are? After graduating are they recruited by firms like Goldman Sachs, Citi, Ernst & Young etc.
If possible please provide profile of graduates available anywhere or on linkedin so I can contact them
Reply 99
Original post by rfuzzy

If possible please provide profile of graduates available anywhere or on linkedin so I can contact them

You should email your department to ask these questions, they'll probably be able to help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending