Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

close + delete pls

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    close + delete pls
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chrome e-mail address? Don't you mean Gmail address?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is because they are different providers which means different mail servers

also chrome is a browser and an operating system, not an email provider. I think you mean gmail aka google mail
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know your signature? Doesn't that make sense, considering women have been historically repressed and men haven't... It wouldn't make sense to focus on both.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    thanks for answering my thread!

p.s. it does make sense... how can anything become equal if you specifically focus on one side?
    God, I forgot to mention the email thing XD My friend has this problem as well - Very odd, I know, she doesn't understand why either. Surely it should be the same...

Well, that's like saying if you have flour and sugar in a set of scales, adding more to both will eventually make them equal... If you have less flour, you have to add to just the flour until there's the same amount as the sugar.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    God, I forgot to mention the email thing XD My friend has this problem as well - Very odd, I know, she doesn't understand why either. Surely it should be the same...

Well, that's like saying if you have flour and sugar in a set of scales, adding more to both will eventually make them equal... If you have less flour, you have to add to just the flour until there's the same amount as the sugar.
    Speaking from a mathematical perspective, this could be seen as true. They will both tend to infinity
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Speaking from a mathematical perspective, this could be seen as true. They will both tend to infinity
    Infinity cannot be physically reached however - you cannot create infinity. My simile works - you have to improve things for one side until they are equal, then work on both together.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    -yawn-

Stop spamming my threads please.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Just because you're wrong, but whatever. It's a public forum, I can write what I like.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed if I send an email from a gmail email address to a hotmail email address - It arrives instant

If I send an email from a hotmail email address to a gmail email address - It takes a while to arrive

Any ideas?
    Google have better MX servers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite probably differing techniques for reducing spam.

One method often used is greylisting where the receiving email server tells the sender it can't receive the email at that time and to try later. Real email servers will try again a bit later (often around 15 minutes later) spam bots don't usually try sending again.

This would suggest that hotmail either don't do greylisting or it's cached a a successful email in recently that matches your test. Gmail could be doing greylisting (or it could be something else that's put in a delay).

If you look at the email headers you can find out where the delay was!
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    so is it hotmails fault or gmails?
    Google have better MX servers...
    Ergo, it's Hotmail's fault.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    so is it hotmails fault or gmails?
    That really depends on where the delay is and why there's a delay.

However email isn't a gaurentueed delivery system and there's certainly nothing in the specification that says email mush be delivered immediately.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.