Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dubrovnik (Croatia) - hotels/accomodation

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have recommendations as to where to stay in Dubrovnik? Will be staying for 3 nights in July so initial thoughts were to find a place closest to the Old Town - these are expensive but affordable but wondering if there are better alternatives/other peoples experiences.

Original question was:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Planning to go to Dubrovnik in July for 3 days and want to sort the currency in advance.

Can you use Euros in Dubrovnik or is better to get Kuna? If things are priced in Euros, will they rip you off with the conversion?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spent two weeks travelling down the coast of Croatia (including Dubrovnik) and all the tourist places (campgrounds, most restaurants etc) really like Euros. In fact, so many times I had to ask what the costs were in Kuna and they had to get a calculator out as they had no idea. I remember the conversion was pretty good - dead on what XE.com told me it was meant to be. I'd say that this conversion wasn't quite as good in Dubrovnik, but to be honest I didn't spend too much money there as it's more expensive than other parts of Croatia. I'd take mostly Euros and some Kuna as a back-up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, usually they take Euros, but I would take a mix.
    I'm in Dubrovnik in July also
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    From my general reading around, seems like everywhere will take Kuna whereas most tourist places will take Euros.

Don't understand the benefit in taking Euros when I'm going to have to convert from GBP anyway? Might aswell just get Kuna and take surely
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Croatia is quite frustrating, it accepts both and sometimes (depending on whoever you're dealing with) they won't accept whichever currency you have.

E.G. When buying things in shops, they will accept Kuna but when paying for accommodation they will only accept Euros.

My advice is to take a bank card as there are plenty of ATMs in Dubrovnik and they offer both Euros and Kuna.

Enjoy your trip and I also recommend going to Montenegro (which uses Euros). Kotor and Budva are about 1-2 hours south of Dubrovnik and beautiful places!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take the Kuna, not all the shops outside the old city accepet Euros. Also go to the island of Korcula, it is about 2 hours north of Dubrovnik and is beautiful, I have been there many times and it is one of the nicest places I have been. At the current rate Euros will probably decrease in value against the Kuna anyway...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    From my general reading around, seems like everywhere will take Kuna whereas most tourist places will take Euros.

Don't understand the benefit in taking Euros when I'm going to have to convert from GBP anyway? Might aswell just get Kuna and take surely
    Exactly this - if you're converting anyway, I don't see why you'd choose Euros instead of Kuna. The only explanation would be to use left over Euros elsewhere. I wouldn't risk it though, as Kuna is still their currency and is therefore going to be accepted everywhere.

I adore Dubrovnik and can't wait to go back - have a brilliant time. Very jealous.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okkervil)
    Croatia is quite frustrating, it accepts both and sometimes (depending on whoever you're dealing with) they won't accept whichever currency you have.

E.G. When buying things in shops, they will accept Kuna but when paying for accommodation they will only accept Euros.

My advice is to take a bank card as there are plenty of ATMs in Dubrovnik and they offer both Euros and Kuna.

Enjoy your trip and I also recommend going to Montenegro (which uses Euros). Kotor and Budva are about 1-2 hours south of Dubrovnik and beautiful places!
    (Original post by Penbole)
    Take the Kuna, not all the shops outside the old city accepet Euros. Also go to the island of Korcula, it is about 2 hours north of Dubrovnik and is beautiful, I have been there many times and it is one of the nicest places I have been. At the current rate Euros will probably decrease in value against the Kuna anyway...
    (Original post by Daydreamer18)
    Exactly this - if you're converting anyway, I don't see why you'd choose Euros instead of Kuna. The only explanation would be to use left over Euros elsewhere. I wouldn't risk it though, as Kuna is still their currency and is therefore going to be accepted everywhere.

I adore Dubrovnik and can't wait to go back - have a brilliant time. Very jealous.
    Thanks for your responses, tis much appreciated

Wondering if people had suggestions on where to stay?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can reccommend the Iberostar Cavtat. It is in a small coastal town outside Dubrovnik but about 15mins drive from the Airport, I have stayed there on multiple occasions and the staff seem friendly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going there for 3 weeks again, for the 7th year in a row (to an island called Rab). Actually fantastic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    I spent two weeks travelling down the coast of Croatia (including Dubrovnik) and all the tourist places (campgrounds, most restaurants etc) really like Euros. In fact, so many times I had to ask what the costs were in Kuna and they had to get a calculator out as they had no idea. I remember the conversion was pretty good - dead on what XE.com told me it was meant to be. I'd say that this conversion wasn't quite as good in Dubrovnik, but to be honest I didn't spend too much money there as it's more expensive than other parts of Croatia. I'd take mostly Euros and some Kuna as a back-up.
    Out of curiosity, did you drive between locations in Croatia or take the buses?
    I'm flying out to Split in September, travelling by bus to Sarajevo in Bosnia, before finally making my way Dubrovnik. I've heard that journeys are fairly long (7 hours between Sarajevo and Dubrovnik) but much cheaper than getting the train/flying.

Oh, and OP, I'll be staying at The Pervanovo Apartments in Dubrovnik for around £30 a night. A friend recommended it after staying there last year. Usually it's around £60-£100 a night, but with websites like TravelRepublic, you can find some really good deals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    Out of curiosity, did you drive between locations in Croatia or take the buses?
    Croatia was a few weeks in on my UK to Turkey road trip so I was driving Sorry I can't help you much!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.