Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Changing firm and insurance?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Feel a bit daft writing this, but I don't know if it's possible or not.

Basically I want to change my firm and insurance places, in fact dropping my firm altogether and just accepting what I had as my insurance as my firm.

Is this possible to do through ucas or would I have to contact the university I firmed, informing them of my decision, then contacting my insurance asking them to firm my place there?

Cheers.
    • 78 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Good news: it's possible.

Bad news: you contact the unis, not UCAS.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought as much!

Did you do this yourself? Any ideas how they are going to respond? I mean, the one that you're ditching wont matter because you're not going there. I guess the one I've chosen as insurance might need buttering up a bit, the old 'I made a rash decision not choosing you as firm in the first place'.
    • 78 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done it, but people on TSR have. And unis want students, and you're good enough (as you got an offer) so your current insurance won't mind too much.

You want to do it asap, but at the same time it isn't long since you made your choices. A few weeks ago you were sure that this combination was right - are you absolutely positive this new change is right? If you change your mind later you can't undo it. It might be better to wait a few weeks and to see if you still want this - you can do it any time up until a week before results day. So the Thursday before is really the last possible day (though earlier is better).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I am pretty positive to be fair. I chose my firm quite quickly because frankly I was surprised I got an offer, heard it was a very good uni and my brother is going to be there for another 6 years. However, the one I chose as insurance, after further reading, seems to be better geared toward mature students, both as a university and a city.

Also, as it is looking, I'm going to fall just short of the entry requirements for my firm. It might be worth, in a sense, cutting my losses and getting it changed; that way I might still get a good shout for accommodation from my current insurance.

Thanks for your help!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've changed my university choices, actually going further than you intend by replacing my firm with a previously rejected offer. It was surprisingly easy, even though it was after the 7 day 'cooling off' period. Just call UCAS to let them know, then contact the universities concerned (I did it by email), then confirm with UCAS again and that's it finished.
    It's even easier for you, you just need to ask your firm to let you go, and that leaves your insurance as your firm choice. Don't worry about it, it's easy to do :-)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers buddy!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C3S)
    I've changed my university choices, actually going further than you intend by replacing my firm with a previously rejected offer. It was surprisingly easy, even though it was after the 7 day 'cooling off' period. Just call UCAS to let them know, then contact the universities concerned (I did it by email), then confirm with UCAS again and that's it finished.
    It's even easier for you, you just need to ask your firm to let you go, and that leaves your insurance as your firm choice. Don't worry about it, it's easy to do :-)
    You were also incredibly lucky, (a) that the uni whose offer you retrieved was willing and (b) that UCAS let you do it.

(Original post by Pitt1988)
    Changing your Mind might be of interest
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I contacted UCAS informing them what I wanted to do and they said they will put a note on my application, awaiting reply from my current insurance choice. I emailed them on the 1st June explaining what I wanted to do. I got an email back saying that it has been passed on to admission and await correspondence, but I still haven't heard anything back.

How long do you think I should leave it? I mean I don't want to seem too pushy because they are doing me a favour really, but at the same time I could do with finding out sooner rather than later so I can let my current firm know I'm pulling out and withdraw my application for accommodation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C3S)
    Oh wow, didn't think it would be at all possible to firm a rejected offer! That's something I've been wondering about since I rejected a dual offer which had an insurance in itself (one grade drop would get me on the course but without study abroad). Glad to know this is possible, although I assume it would be next to impossible to do after results are given out...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I contacted UCAS informing them what I wanted to do and they said they will put a note on my application, awaiting reply from my current insurance choice. I emailed them on the 1st June explaining what I wanted to do. I got an email back saying that it has been passed on to admission and await correspondence, but I still haven't heard anything back.

How long do you think I should leave it? I mean I don't want to seem too pushy because they are doing me a favour really, but at the same time I could do with finding out sooner rather than later so I can let my current firm know I'm pulling out and withdraw my application for accommodation.
    I'm a bit confused as to why you continued to correspond with UCAS after Juno made it clear that you contact the universities. It's much simpler: get the insurance to agree to become your firm, ask your firm to reject you. Nonetheless...

There isn't a huge rush on it at the moment. If this was the beginning of August, it would be very important that you get it sorted within a couple of weeks. As it is, you have the luxury of a bit of time - I would say give them until the end of the week, and contact them at the beginning of next week if they haven't got back to you.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't had any contact with UCAS previous to posting the thread. The only reason I contacted them was to let them know what I was going to be doing, because I presumed that it would be their clerical work to adjust it once the insurance university had agreed to put me as firm.

Cheers though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't had any contact with UCAS previous to posting the thread. The only reason I contacted them was to let them know what I was going to be doing, because I presumed that it would be their clerical work to adjust it once the insurance university had agreed to put me as firm.

Cheers though.
    You didn't really need to contact them because the universities would have sorted it out from their end; however, it doesn't cause a problem, just unnecessarily complicates it for yourself.

If you're concerned that they've forgotten about you entirely, a polite 'Hey, I'm still here' e-mail isn't rude (don't use that phrasing, though... )
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You didn't really need to contact them because the universities would have sorted it out from their end; however, it doesn't cause a problem, just unnecessarily complicates it for yourself.

If you're concerned that they've forgotten about you entirely, a polite 'Hey, I'm still here' e-mail isn't rude (don't use that phrasing, though... )
    Yeah haha. I'll contact them later in the week as you suggested. Just getting the balance between being patient and being a pain in the arse. It is, after all, them doing me the favour.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.