Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

panorama: any black/asians going to euro 2012?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    When I was in Krakow 2 months ago, it actually seemed fairly diverse - there were quite a few Chinese, Turks etc, and plenty of foreign tourists. I met a black English guy on a night out who lived there, and he seemed to be absolutely loving it - he spoke fluent Polish and knew locals, so I don't think it's fair to say all Poles are racist. There is defo a big problem though - especially in the grimmer industrial cities and towns like Lodz.

I think Ukraine will undoubtedly be a lot worse than Poland - its a poorer country with historically a lot less exposure to the rest of Europe. Unfortunately, thats where England are playing their games, could be risky. I certainly wouldn't want to be black/Asian over there. Eastern Europe in general is a bit scary, but I think this sort of thing will be clamped down on and more locals will want to create a good impression of their countries. We took a train to Belgrade from Budapest and that night Red Star were playing Partizan in a local derby... the amount of scary meatheads in shellsuits hanging around was frghtening... though we didn't actually experience any trouble (despite one of my mates having an afro and one being Jewish).

What I thought was the worst thing was seeing Poles and Ukrainians praising Hitler. My grandad was Polish and came over here during the war - considering what the Nazis did when they invaded Poland and Ukraine it's absolutely ****ing ridiculous that any citizen of those countries would admire Hitler. Absolute morons.
    You sure they're Chinese? The majority of Asians in Poland are Vietnamese..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I even registered on the forum to say what I think about the topic

I am a Polish student living in Krakow. We are all quite sad about this report, as it's mostly unfair and biased (especially when talking about Poland). The stupid criminals, who shout anti-semitic and racist phrases are a tiny minority, and most of the society hate them. That's a sad thing that football draws such people to the stadiums and normal people are sometimes not eager to support football teams at all, as they are afraid of the fights during the matches... However, legal measures are being taken against them, but the law is still not adequate and sometimes the government cannot do anything with it. I mean that it just needs time - not only strong reaction - to end.

Still, the report doesn't do a good job. I wouldn't ever expect something of this standard from BBC. The Sun or Daily Mirror, probably. But a national TV station?! Never! Why do I think so? A few points:

- as it was stated here before, the economic, social and cultural situation is quite different in the two countries. Poland has always been a country of high culture and tolerance (in fact, during the Middle Ages and later periods it was Poland where Jews from all over Europe and various religious minorities fled, because it was way more tolerant than western european countries). The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth had been one of the most multi-ethnic countries (there's a wonderful website on that topic, here: http://www.commonwealth.pl/) until it was destroyed in the XVIIIth century by Russia, Austria and Prussia...
    Our country regained independence only after 200 years, just to be attacked by Nazi Germany during WWII and then be sold to the communists. 3 million Jews and 2 million Poles were killed by the nazis during WWII, and they were all Polish citizens, living side-by-side. The multi-ethinc society disappeared and Poland became mostly homogeneous. Ukraine is a country much more influenced by the former Sovier Union and people in Poland also don't have the best feelings about security issues when going there...
    - what is this history lesson for? to tell you, that the ultra-right-wing scums probably don't even know who a Jew is, neither have they seen one in their entire life. I say this to stress the fact that, although it is infuriating and cannot be tolerated, the insults they shout at the opposing teams are not ethnicity-based. they are purely linguistic relicts of the wave of nationalism and xenophobia that went through all Europe at the beginning of XXth century and of the nazi and communist occupations - when Jewish people where portrayed as the bad ones. As absurd as it sounds, it's really true that when they shout to kill the Jews, they don't mean killing the ascendants of Abraham and Noah, but just that they hate the opposing team... And I don't mean to justify them, but I am just trying to show you how the situation really is. I hope this will change soon, as it can't be like that any more.

- TO CALM YOU ALL: if you are considering coming to euro 2012 to Poland, I can assure you that no harm will be done to you, no matter your skin color, religion or whatever. the idiots shown in the report a really small group and they are to poor to afford even getting close to the matches, and the police and other forces will do everything, to keep the Championships calm. You won't probably even get a chance of seeing ones like them. And when you overcome your fears, you'll see how hospitable and open-minded the normal Poles are
    And if you are intelligent people interested in culture - come to Krakow! It's a beautiful city of culture, art and multi-ethinicity (it was home to about 80000 Jews before the Holocaust!) and one of the biggest Jewish culture festivals of the world starts here on June 29th! The city hosts the English, Dutch and Italian players and there will be several events held during EURO. Here you have some beautiful photos of the city: http://krakow4u.pl/eng_index.php?parametr=eng_glowna_s
    And if you are willing to come here, drop me a line - we should discuss some cultural issues over a beer

And some moralising at the end: 1)British people use to talk much about racism which they mostly started on their own, enslaving people from Africa to work for them. isn't this hypocrisy? Polish people haven't harmed black people during the history of Europe. that said, the hooligans shown in the video abusing black players are idiots. 2)don't mix Poland with Ukraine too much - we are two countries that are near on the map, but far away in terms of culture... 3)France and GB lie in Western Europe. Russia and Ukraine lie in Eastern Europe. and guess what, there's also Central Europe: Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary etc... remember that the political partition of Europe into East and West was a result of the Cold War and is not justified anymore 5) who people fear of the most before EURO is not the Polish hooligans, but... British hooligans! 4)for all your life, remember one more thing - on TV, you can make any material look the way you want it to. so even if there is a grain of truth in the report, it's only a part of it, blown totally out of proportion!

Have a good time and don't get yourself scared by some guys on the TV
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it is much safer. Crime rate is much lower in Poland than it is in England. Look at London. Newham is where the Olympics are taking place and its the poorest borough in the UK with crime rate so high. Ive lost a friend from in secondary school due to stupid post code wars and gangs. Racism happens everywhere. It wouldnt be fair if a foreign tv broadcaster made a program about crime in London and how bad it is. What about South Africa? Very high crime, racism still and issue and everyone was ok with it? England should get over themselves because its the only country making a scene out of nothing. If you dont wanna come then dont come. You wont even get past the group stage anyways so stay at home just like Sol Cambell said.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who are defending Poland/Ukraine, stop being so f*****g indenial. Yes we all know that crime is everywhere, however the evidence is there that can not be argued with. It is clear that your countries authorities and goverment is clearly f****d up in the head, to stand back and watch this happen with know consequences to face. As for Poland and Ukraine hosting the Euros, its simply pathetic and disgusting. UEFA are just asking for trouble, and when it happens because their is no doubt it will kick, off I hope they get destroyed by the media. For those of you that live in Poland and Ukraine and condemn this behaviour then i apoligise, but it is infuriating to see these atrocities still occuring in the 21st Century!!!!! The whole sitution is simply ridiculous... makes me so angry and sick to the core thar prejudice and racism is still in its prime and countries are rewarded for it by hosting the euros!!!
    • 136 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go (I'm part asian) & bring a stackful of black people with me to scare the racists away lol.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    When I was in Krakow 2 months ago, it actually seemed fairly diverse - there were quite a few Chinese, Turks etc, and plenty of foreign tourists. I met a black English guy on a night out who lived there, and he seemed to be absolutely loving it - he spoke fluent Polish and knew locals, so I don't think it's fair to say all Poles are racist. There is defo a big problem though - especially in the grimmer industrial cities and towns like Lodz.

I think Ukraine will undoubtedly be a lot worse than Poland - its a poorer country with historically a lot less exposure to the rest of Europe. Unfortunately, thats where England are playing their games, could be risky. I certainly wouldn't want to be black/Asian over there. Eastern Europe in general is a bit scary, but I think this sort of thing will be clamped down on and more locals will want to create a good impression of their countries. We took a train to Belgrade from Budapest and that night Red Star were playing Partizan in a local derby... the amount of scary meatheads in shellsuits hanging around was frghtening... though we didn't actually experience any trouble (despite one of my mates having an afro and one being Jewish).

What I thought was the worst thing was seeing Poles and Ukrainians praising Hitler. My grandad was Polish and came over here during the war - considering what the Nazis did when they invaded Poland and Ukraine it's absolutely ****ing ridiculous that any citizen of those countries would admire Hitler. Absolute morons.
    THIS.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.