The Student Room Group

why not abolish 'weak' degrees?

why do universities waste their funding on subjects such as media or film which hold very few job prospects?

surely it's better to put their money into something which would benefit the country more such as medicine or even in a completely different sector other than education?

Anyway, aren't some of these so called 'degrees' pretty worthless and furthermore, the money could be used in a much more beneficial way

tbh, to study a degree such as media (which isn't even needed to achieve a job in media) is such a waste, why would you be willing to literally throw away 50 grand on a degree which would get you no where?

thoughts?

when i say 'weak' it's not just media but others too

think about the thousands of pounds the government puts into these degrees....what i'm saying is that surely they would benefit more in the long run by putting the money into OTHER sectors such as NHS or even training for those who are not suitable for degrees.

i am in no way insinuating that people who do weak degrees are just stupid, i just think it is a waste of the tax payers money
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's already been a very recent thread on the perception of 'weak degrees', so I'm not going to comment on your apparent dislike of media studies.

I will say however that a big problem lies in political circles. The idea that we need to be shipping off 50% of our youth into universities rather than prepping our youth for a balanced job market is the problem. So long as politicians continue using a percentage of university attendance as a bragging point, this problem will always persist.
weak degrees are created for people who supposedly arent capable of doing anything more productive.. so in a way they fill a niche

...people waste their money on them because they think they'll enjoy the degree.. and tbh they probably aare more enjoyable than strong degrees.. in the sense that they're easier

Spoiler

EDIT: i'm not saying that all people who do weak degrees are stupid, it's more the fact that the degrees are given importance and encouraged. Ads like this just make me want to vomit:

..if they can't find a better argument for people to study their degree than an outdated statement of some kid being passionate, why the hell are they allowed to shove it down the throats of young people who potentially have the brains to study something more productive.

EDIT2: I'm also not denying that product design is necessary.. but the lack of originality in that ad shows that the course providers themselves lack the originality and teaching skills needed to produce good product designers...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Because the government wants to fork out thousands of pounds of wasted money so that people like the morons at my school who couldn't pronounce "hinge" in a book at the age of 15 and thought "precisely" was a long word can pretend that they don't have the IQ of a damaged kumquat by studying something, no matter how useless it is,
Reply 4
If universities took out 'weak' degrees, half of the UK's universities would close. The likes of London Met, LMJU etc.
Reply 5
It is for political reasons but givng them loans which they have to pay back to spend three years wasting money on booze etc means aggregate demand goes up so it's all pretty harmless stuff. Also I guess a lot of the so called weak degree probably could get you good jobs if you have the right attitude like the golf staudies graduates everyone laughs at, getting head hunted for excellent grad jobs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Its alllll about money.
Reply 7
When the state of employment is so bad and it's nigh on impossible to get a job, the cheapest option is to go to uni - especially if your parents are like mine. When I leave full time education, child benefit for me stops, so my parents can't afford for me to stay with them. I can't get a job because there are none, so I can't pay. I want to become a midwife, but at the moment I'm not well enough, so I'm going to university to study something I enjoy (Creative Studies is a mix of journalism, media communications, drama and writing) which could potentially help me in the future, because there really is no other alternative. I was never going to be a doctor, never enjoyed maths or physics or chemistry enough to pursue them, I have an interest in biology but I don't think I'm clever enough to do a degree in it and ones like English, History etc don't interest me because I'd rather do one with a more vocational side than one that is purely academic.
Reply 8
Some people like going to uni and enjoying the party's and uni life. At the end also come out with a degree.
my guess would be that they help fund 'stronger' degrees
This is an incredibly prejudiced thread - the assumption that everyone who does "weak" degrees are stupid? :facepalm2:
Original post by Tackla
Some people like going to uni and enjoying the party's and uni life. At the end also come out with a degree.

:facepalm:
Original post by madders94
This is an incredibly prejudiced thread - the assumption that everyone who does "weak" degrees are stupid? :facepalm2:

The assumption that "weak" degrees are easy :facepalm:
They shouldnt abolish weak degrees the government shouldnt fund them. If people want to spend their money on weak degrees then that is fine.
Reply 14
Ultimately a degree (in theory) should separate those who are academic and those who are not, so even though people have their 'niche' perhaps their 'niche' should be in something else.

University is not for everyone and people have to accept that.
Original post by AspiringGenius
The assumption that "weak" degrees are easy :facepalm:

Because the government wants to fork out thousands of pounds of wasted money so that people like the morons at my school who couldn't pronounce "hinge" in a book at the age of 15 and thought "precisely" was a long word can pretend that they don't have the IQ of a damaged kumquat by studying something, no matter how useless it is,

That seems to be insinuating that people who do "weak" degrees are stupid.
People don't just chose degrees for job prospects.

I chose my English degree to study because I like literature, and although it could help me get into the field I would like to work in I'm doing English because I like it.

(yes it may not class as a weak degree but my point stands with others that you class as "weak")
Universities are not just there for teaching 'useful' subject. Remember that universities were originally seats of learning and academic study, not just institutions created for the pure sake of creating graduates who are employable because they've graduated with a specifically 'strong' subject. There are plently of people who study degrees because they are interested in it and not just because they want to graduate being the 'most employable graduate'.
Original post by madders94
That seems to be insinuating that people who do "weak" degrees are stupid.

read my post and what I was responding to. You will find I was writing quite the contrary.
Original post by foodnom
why do universities waste their funding on subjects such as media or film which hold very few job prospects?

surely it's better to put their money into something which would benefit the country more such as medicine or even in a completely different sector other than education?

The market will always dictate how many people do certain degrees and how many jobs there are - if a third of all students went and studied law or medicine, for example, it just means you'd get a lot of unemployed lawyers and doctors - they are not all going to automatically walk into jobs, just because those degrees have always been considered 'worthwhile'.

What needs to be done is for industry to regularly sit down with unis and dictate the actual criteria they have in graduates. Media (advertising, marketing, web design, digital content etc) is actually a huge growth sector in the UK, but many firms say that the average media studies graduate lacks the correct skills for entry level jobs in these industries. More vocational degrees are needed as opposed to woolly ones that sound 'fun', I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending