Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the World anti- English / Anti - British?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    Britain is hardly the pinnacle of freedom. The state can detain people without charge, the DNA of innocent can be held on government databases, personal data is shared between public bodies, CCTV follows you everywhere. These are just a few examples.

Go to the centre of town with a megaphone and speak your mind and you'll have the police arresting you for public disorder or try smoking weed in the street and you'll be arrested. Britain is hardly the pinnacle of freedom especially today, we're probably living under one of the most authoritarian ages in recent times.
    You have the mistaken belief that freedom means you can do anything you like, whenever you like - it doesn't (well, a technical meaning might but it's impossible to work in society).

I do take it you agree with our current anti-murder laws for example, and they are not unduly restricting my freedom to go on crazed murder rampages?

And just to answer the thread title - no the world doesn't REMOTELY "hate" Britain. That's just a myth spread about by people who want you to believe that Britain is evil (laughably, often the same people who proclaim they are the most patriotic!). But if you were basing that on Eurovision results then pretend you didn't read this - I wouldn't dignify that with a response!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    You have the mistaken belief that freedom means you can do anything you like, whenever you like - it doesn't (well, a technical meaning might but it's impossible to work in society).

I do take it you agree with our current anti-murder laws for example, and they are not unduly restricting my freedom to go on crazed murder rampages?

And just to answer the thread title - no the world doesn't REMOTELY "hate" Britain. That's just a myth spread about by people who want you to believe that Britain is evil (laughably, often the same people who proclaim they are the most patriotic!). But if you were basing that on Eurovision results then pretend you didn't read this - I wouldn't dignify that with a response!
    No, you've assumed I have the mistaken belief that freedom means you can do anything you like. I never said that in my post. I pointed out a few ways in which peoples civil liberties are being eroded and why this means Britain isn't the pinnacle of freedom.

If you're going to reply to a post, actually reply to what is been argued rather than assuming someone is mistaken, when in fact you're the one who is mistaken.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, maybe the French but no one else.

Plus, our eurovision entry was crap. Are you kidding me? We were incredibly lucky to come second to last as opposed to last.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    England is just a boring country! I think that's all.

Everyone knows about england and what to expect so there isn't too much interest.

I'm pretty sure the most of the world doesn't like America.. if any place
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, you've assumed I have the mistaken belief that freedom means you can do anything you like. I never said that in my post. I pointed out a few ways in which peoples civil liberties are being eroded and why this means Britain isn't the pinnacle of freedom.

If you're going to reply to a post, actually reply to what is been argued rather than assuming someone is mistaken, when in fact you're the one who is mistaken.
    You mean your argument that "we're probably living under one of the most authoritarian ages in recent times"?

Perhaps you should explain your specific definition of freedom then? I struggle to see how CCTV impacts on anyone's "freedom"? And how about a DNA sample being on a computer somewhere? What exactly does that stop you doing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Realist101)
    Can't believe you still frequent this forum old boy.
    A second degree has brought me back to TSR. I'm guessing you're unknown_demon....
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmeboy)
    After our usual Eurovision debacle, and our disastrous bid to hold a world cup a couple of years ago, is Europe and the wider world against us?

The likes of Philip Schofield are wanting us to leave Eurovision as we have no chance of winning it, i doubt i will ever see England host another major footballing event whilst the likes of FIFA and UEFA are ruling the game, i just thought i would throw this question out there, and see what other peoples thoughts are?
    Sure, because the Eurovision is such a serious high quality event and everyone cares so much about it :rolleyes: Then there is something happening in London this year ... gosh, I have it on the tip of my tongue. Well, beats me, but there's bound to be something big in the UK this year, which a lot of people on this planet care about
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    You mean your argument that "we're probably living under one of the most authoritarian ages in recent times"?

Perhaps you should explain your specific definition of freedom then? I struggle to see how CCTV impacts on anyone's "freedom"? And how about a DNA sample being on a computer somewhere? What exactly does that stop you doing?
    Well, we are compared to past generations - I don't see how you can really dispute that.

CCTV quite clearly impacts on people's freedom. Privacy is an essential prerequisite to the exercise of individual freedom, how can you have any privacy when your every move is being watched by several million cameras. You're every move can be traced and information gathered about your day to day activities. Like if you go to North Korea today or the Soviet Union in the past, you would have a state official following you around and monitoring your every move. People sit in rooms, monitoring CCTV cameras in just the same way.

As for DNA, why should innocent people have their DNA taken and the state be allowed to keep it on a database? DNA could be used to track individuals and misused by the government or anyone who gets hold of it. Its an intrusion of privacy again. Thankfully, I believe new legislation means a lot of innocent people's DNA will be deleted from the database.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackburn_Allen)
    This.

However, a lot of the "hatred" transcends into envy. People from far afield envy us because of how fair our country actually is. Whilst we sit on this island and moan about everything it has to offer, other nationalities look at us as the pinnacle of freedom. We should be honoured that they envy us and do our upmost best to help them become a nation like ours: free, democratic and rife with opportunity.
    you sure about that?:curious:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Many a time I have been refused service in a european pub because they thought I was English, then welcomed me with open arms when I said I was Welsh (same goes for the other Celtic nations I suppose).

This is no personal opinion or argument or whatever - just thought I'd throw it in to the discussion, because all the 'anti-english' - 'anti-british' stuff was confusing me.

Btw, I really don't think it's got much to do with envy haha :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, we are compared to past generations - I don't see how you can really dispute that.

CCTV quite clearly impacts on people's freedom. Privacy is an essential prerequisite to the exercise of individual freedom, how can you have any privacy when your every move is being watched by several million cameras. You're every move can be traced and information gathered about your day to day activities. Like if you go to North Korea today or the Soviet Union in the past, you would have a state official following you around and monitoring your every move. People sit in rooms, monitoring CCTV cameras in just the same way.

As for DNA, why should innocent people have their DNA taken and the state be allowed to keep it on a database? DNA could be used to track individuals and misused by the government or anyone who gets hold of it. Its an intrusion of privacy again. Thankfully, I believe new legislation means a lot of innocent people's DNA will be deleted from the database.
    Privacy can certainly be desirable, but how is it an "essential prerequisite"? You can't just say "because it is" - what precisely about CCTV cameras takes away your freedom? They passively monitor you, not actively stop you do absolutely anything. And of course your every move isn't be watched. Your house is camera free, the majority of roads are camera free and, around me anyway, the majority of public spaces are camera free. Logically following on from that, would you find the presence of police on the streets watching people as being anti-freedom? If anything, I'd personally feel more constrained by a policeman than I would a computer (some are monitored live by people but most wouldn't be - loads of them are even fakes!).

Why not? I personally think everyone's DNA should be on file. If a government felt the need to misuse your DNA they could just collect their own sample from you with incredible ease anyway (from cigarette butts, drinking glass/cup, chewing gum, hair). And "track individuals"? That seems like a particularly futile thing to do. How exactly would they be tracking you? They'd have to have an army of analysts sampling thousands of objects trying to find the matches - makes far more sense to just hire a couple of people and get them to follow you!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me, privacy is a fundamental right and it is my right to not want to filmed by CCTV whenever I'm in a public place. It doesn't matter whether they're stopping me from doing anything. A lot of roads have speed cameras on them, a lot of public places have CCTV cameras, Britain has amongst the highest number of CCTV cameras in the world. I don't feel comfortable with cameras or police watching me, I don't want to be watched by anyone and that's my right.

Why do you think everyone's DNA should be on a file? It's irrelevant how they collect your DNA, it issue is why should the state be allowed to take peoples DNA.Not even that, the database is hardly foolproof. The Home Office itself reported a few years ago that the database had 500,000 with wrong or misspelt names. Is that not worrying considering it can be used as evidence in cases such as rape and murder?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We don't get votes because we don't really have the same kind of relationship that other countries do.

The problem with Eurovision is that tiny countries each get a vote with no regard to their population. We have a lot of Eastern European countries that are just previous countries cut up into new ones, it's obvious they're going to vote for each other. If we cut up the UK like that they'd all vote for each other too I imagine.

What they ought to do is weight votes by population.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For me, privacy is a fundamental right and it is my right to not want to filmed by CCTV whenever I'm in a public place. It doesn't matter whether they're stopping me from doing anything. A lot of roads have speed cameras on them, a lot of public places have CCTV cameras, Britain has amongst the highest number of CCTV cameras in the world. I don't feel comfortable with cameras or police watching me, I don't want to be watched by anyone and that's my right.
    Should I close my eyes as you walk past on the street then? You have no right to privacy in a public place, CCTV or otherwise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the foreign people who live in england are anti british. Any sign of patriotism they think you're being racist or trying to invade their privacy in many circumstances, it seems during the EURO's. World cup etc is when you're allowed to be patriotic
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the world is anti-British. After all, it seems like everyone and his dog wants to come and live here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=g_star_raw_1989;37834459]For me, privacy is a fundamental right and it is my right to not want to filmed by CCTV whenever I'm in a public place. It doesn't matter whether they're stopping me from doing anything. A lot of roads have speed cameras on them, a lot of public places have CCTV cameras, Britain has amongst the highest number of CCTV cameras in the world. I don't feel comfortable with cameras or police watching me, I don't want to be watched by anyone and that's my right.

Its not your right at all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKieranC)
    Its not your right at all.

You have no right to quote and reply to me in a public forum. So please don't do it again.

(Original post by mimx)
    Should I close my eyes as you walk past on the street then? You have no right to privacy in a public place, CCTV or otherwise.
    I have no problem with you looking at me in the street or ordinary people out with cameras, however, I'm concerned by state intrusion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with you looking at me in the street or ordinary people out with cameras, however, I'm concerned by state intrusion.
    How is the government observing you any more intrusive than members of the public doing so? I can just as well watch you and go tell the state what you've been up to. So could a police officer. Not sure why CCTV is particularly bothersome in comparison.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimx)
    How is the government observing you any more intrusive than members of the public doing so? I can just as well watch you and go tell the state what you've been up to. So could a police officer. Not sure why CCTV is particularly bothersome in comparison.
    Because members of the public have far more interesting things to do than monitor my movements and far less resources to act upon whatever information they may gather.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 2, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.