The Student Room Group

Medicine at KCL, Management intercalated BSc at Imperial, then do investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dislocator
Oh no I'm definitely interested in medicine, definitely have the motivation - just I've always liked the look of banking/business as well. Not all medical students go on to be permanent doctors as well you know, a proportion go into scientific research or teaching or legal or other careers entirely, and if I did complete my medical degree, I would most certainly do something related later on in life - e.g. practice/research, just I'd like to explore IB as well. Its not like I'd never use it. More security in medical jobs as well, if IB never turned out well.

I keep hearing it costs £250k to train a medical student to registration, no idea where this figure came from though lol.

The NHS website. You're proposing to waste a huge amount of the time of very busy and well trained individuals, to the cost of a quarter of a million of our parents' taxes.

I could say an awful lot but it wouldn't be helpful, so I'll say this- if you're going into medicine and only want it for the degree, then it will show. It will show to your peers, and to your tutors, and in your motivation levels. You will either learn to love medicine and choose to practice, or you'll piss about and fall foul of disillusionment and drop out anyway. If IB is the dream then great, do a course that will teach you the skills you need. Medicine won't. Medical intercalated degrees are medical humanities degrees or medical science degrees- it will teach you about NHS resources and clinical resource rationing. It's a long, hard and wasteful way to get into a career that has far more appropriate entry paths.
Original post by Pop?
if you can get into KCL for med then you could get into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/ any top uni for science/Finance whatever

Nah, I disagree. Getting into KCL Medicine imo is far more straightforward than elsewhere.

Get 6A*s plus, and then score an 60th quartile score on the UKCAT exam. Neither of which are as difficult as say, going through 3 interviews to get into Natural Sciences at Cambridge.
Reply 22
Original post by Strangeclouds
Nah, I disagree. Getting into KCL Medicine imo is far more straightforward than elsewhere.

Get 6A*s plus, and then score an 60th quartile score on the UKCAT exam. Neither of which are as difficult as say, going through 3 interviews to get into Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

Interviews anywhere are a bitch tbh, I'd say its about equal. And Nat Sci they just ask you science, not crazy ethics questions or NHS stuff or doctor skills etc, plus you also don't need UKCAT or BMAT or any entrance test for most colleges... and the ratios are better like 3:1 for nat sci at some colleges, while med at KCL was like 8:1? Medicine also essentially requires work experience and volunteering, while nat sci only requires good grades - you get automatic pooling at cambridge if you have good AS and GCSE, giving you a second chance to get in - you don't get that for medicine anywhere.
Reply 23
Original post by Chiko 1001
The NHS website. You're proposing to waste a huge amount of the time of very busy and well trained individuals, to the cost of a quarter of a million of our parents' taxes.

I could say an awful lot but it wouldn't be helpful, so I'll say this- if you're going into medicine and only want it for the degree, then it will show. It will show to your peers, and to your tutors, and in your motivation levels. You will either learn to love medicine and choose to practice, or you'll piss about and fall foul of disillusionment and drop out anyway. If IB is the dream then great, do a course that will teach you the skills you need. Medicine won't. Medical intercalated degrees are medical humanities degrees or medical science degrees- it will teach you about NHS resources and clinical resource rationing. It's a long, hard and wasteful way to get into a career that has far more appropriate entry paths.

You can only know so much from work experience and volunteering and reading and watching GOSH/junior doctors/24 hours in A&E etc - I want to be a doctor, but I also want to do science and business etc, I just need to make my mind up...
You can only know so much from work experience and volunteering and reading and watching GOSH/junior doctors/24 hours in A&E etc - I want to be a doctor, but I also want to do science and business etc, I just need to make my mind up...

None of us can ever be sure- the difference is that you can't transfer in and out of medical degrees like you can other degrees. It's something you have to be sure about and there will be 6 or 7 people competing for each post at most medical schools, so it's a huge shame to take a spot that someone else would gladly see through if you're not totally sure, not to mention the huge taxpayer's expense.
Reply 25
Original post by Strangeclouds

I will admit getting a place for NatSci at Cam is very difficult, but arguably getting into medicine anywhere not only requires academic ability but also ability to communicate effectively etc, whereas for natsci, raw scientific ability. You're pretty much guaranteed an interview for natsci at most colleges, whereas for med you need to ace the ukcat/bmat -not straightforward (have you sat the ukcat? getting a 60th quartile score alone isnt easy and you probably need a better score than that). Plus of course you need countless amounts of work experience to even be considered for a place. Not necessarily more straightforward if you ask me. :tongue:
I have an offer for medicine at KCL and I'm not sure whether I want to do Medicine/Science/Investment Banking in the long run.

Do you think doing a management intercalated Bsc at Imperial, then dropping out after third year would be a good idea if I wanted to go into IB, or do you think I should do the whole 6 year course before doing that, so being a doctor is also always an option?

Or do you think I should reapply for Bio Natural Sciences / Biochemistry, at Cambridge/Oxford, as this would put me in a better situation for two out of three of my possible career choices (Science/IB)

Any advice!
Thanks x

Medicine is highly regarded in IB circles so there's no need to worry about that. But if you are quite certain (i.e. more than 80%) that IB is the path you want to go into then why spend 6 years at medical school studying for an extremely demanding course which you ultimately do not want a career in?

I mean you do have the option of intercalating and then leaving at year 3 if you wish to do so. Also given the state of the global economy, IB isn't exactly the most lucrative of fields atm. If you've yet to take your exams I'd say forget about this and just focus on exams.
Original post by Chiko 1001

Or you could (as I think you've pointed out) combine Business/Management studies with Medicine for some sort of Medico-Business career which is quite a big thing in the states.

And believe me if you had a great Medical Business idea you'd be onto a winner.
Having completed the BSc Management at Imperial I can confirm, as others have also, that entering IB is perfectly feasible - a few members of my class did so.

You can always have a year out of medicine doing IB, which is more common at medical schools with a preclinical/clinical division.

Whether you will survive 6 years of medical school knowing you want to do IB is questionable (but possible). If you are committed to medicine though, go for it. It's a versatile degree that can be used elsewhere - these options can easily be explored for a year or two.
Reply 29
I like a good troll thread like this. Well done to the OP!

(And if I'm wrong, please feel free to take a screen shot of your UCAS update. That would be fun too.....)
Reply 30
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Medicine is highly regarded in IB circles so there's no need to worry about that. But if you are quite certain (i.e. more than 80%) that IB is the path you want to go into then why spend 6 years at medical school studying for an extremely demanding course which you ultimately do not want a career in?

I mean you do have the option of intercalating and then leaving at year 3 if you wish to do so. Also given the state of the global economy, IB isn't exactly the most lucrative of fields atm. If you've yet to take your exams I'd say forget about this and just focus on exams.

Still to take my A2 exams, so good advice! Definitely not 80% sure about IB, probably only 30-40% at the moment, so will get some work experience during medical degree, i'll be in London as well which should make it a bit easier. Medical business also sounds very interesting! Cheers man.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by dapthegreat
Having completed the BSc Management at Imperial I can confirm, as others have also, that entering IB is perfectly feasible - a few members of my class did so.

You can always have a year out of medicine doing IB, which is more common at medical schools with a preclinical/clinical division.

Whether you will survive 6 years of medical school knowing you want to do IB is questionable (but possible). If you are committed to medicine though, go for it. It's a versatile degree that can be used elsewhere - these options can easily be explored for a year or two.

A year out after intercalated sounds like a very interesting idea - will definitely try to get work experience in IB while i'm down in London.

Do you have any sage advice for improving my chances of getting onto the intercalated management Bsc at Imperial? And if you happen to know anything about what your class members who went on to IB did regards work experience/medicine in general/where they are working now, that would also be very interesting to know!

Thanks man
Reply 32
Original post by happyhands
I like a good troll thread like this. Well done to the OP!

(And if I'm wrong, please feel free to take a screen shot of your UCAS update. That would be fun too.....)

Haha thanks. What is UCAS update? You mean my offers?
Reply 33
Haha thanks. What is UCAS update? You mean my offers?

Don't you mean your "offers".....LOL! Nice one!
Reply 34
Original post by happyhands
Don't you mean your "offers".....LOL! Nice one!

:P
Reply 35
Original post by MattKneale
I'm confused, being a doctor shouldn't be a second-option. It'd be thousands of individuals first option if they could. Don't waste a medical school place, they're gold dust!

Universities give out more offers than the number of places available, so really he wouldn't really be taking someone's place. If anyone failed to get an interview, that's because the competition is strong and their application wasn't as competitive. Although the OP may be 50/50 about doing medicine in the long term, his application was obviously competitive enough to get an interview and offer compared to someone who wants to do it 100%.
Original post by bigbottle
Universities give out more offers than the number of places available, so really he wouldn't really be taking someone's place. If anyone failed to get an interview, that's because the competition is strong and their application wasn't as competitive. Although the OP may be 50/50 about doing medicine in the long term, his application was obviously competitive enough to get an interview and offer compared to someone who wants to do it 100%.

This isn't about getting past interview and dropping out before the course starts (in that case you're right, someone else could take his place).

This is about him starting the medical degree and then the possibility of him changing his mind half way through the course. If he did drop out then, no one could replace him in his academic year, so I don't see what you're getting at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending