The Student Room Group

oxonians! whats your favourite restaurant around town?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoMo1
Though I did forget about Pink Giraffe. Table served all you can eat chinese food for £16? Why, yes I will.

Is that cheap for Oxford!?!?
Reply 41
Pink Giraffe is fairly classy Chinese... so yes.

Original post by JoMo1

Hate to break it to you but I'm almost certain Big Bang (tax avoidance) and Chopsticks have both closed.

Better I know now than I walk round the corner in a few weeks... :bawling:

But then maybe I should try new places when I go back? :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by JoMo1
Edamame is an amazing find that you need to make sooner rather than later. Just make sure to get there right at the start of any opening times or you will be queueing. The edamame and miso soup are particular highlights.

I've never been to Paddyfields, but only recently discovered Sojo opposite. Most authentic chinese food I've been able to find outside of China, stunningly good.

I've also given far too much of my student loan to Olive's, a Sandwich Shop/Deli on the High Street. Blindingly good sandwiches with a rotating "Baguette of the Week". The Rare roast beef with blue cheese and horseradish and Italian Chicken Club are particularly excellent BotWs.

You'll also have people rave at you about G&Ds, don't get your hopes up, it's average at best.

Hate to break it to you but I'm almost certain Big Bang (tax avoidance) and Chopsticks have both closed.

Though I did forget about Pink Giraffe. Table served all you can eat chinese food for £16? Why, yes I will.

Funny, Sojo seemed pretty bland and overpriced to me, while G&D's is a treat, both the bagels and the ice cream.
Reply 43
Original post by JoMo1

Hang on a minute... Yay:

Big Bang Website

http://www.thebigbangrestaurants.co.uk/
The Big Bang is coming back very shortly, in an exciting new Oxford location.

Please follow @bigbangmax if you do the Twitter thing, or like 'The Big Bang Restaurants' on Facebook.

We should be open well before the end of Summer - bringing you Barbeque, Friday Fizz & Chips, Cocktails & Sausages,
and Sunday Roasts, along with Britain's very best selection of award-winning Bangers & Mash.

Looking forward to sizzling you soon,

Max & all the Bang Gang.

THE BIG BANG
In Good Food We Trust

:piggy:
Original post by JoMo1

Noooooooooooo! :cry2:
Reply 45
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Noooooooooooo! :cry2:

See the post above yours! :five:
Original post by Elles
See the post above yours! :five:

Phew! :biggrin:
Reply 47
Original post by dnumberwang
Is that cheap for Oxford!?!?

Not cheap per se, but the food is damn good and it's freshly prepared and brought to you rather than having to fight for stuff or have it sitting around for a while. It makes a big difference and the whole experience more enjoyable. Definitely worth the £16.

Original post by Elles
Hang on a minute... Yay:

:piggy:

Hopefully it will be coming back, but they've had similar stuff up for quite a while now. I don't hold much hope :frown: I hope they do reopen, Big Bang was awesome, but at worst you can buy most of the sausages in the covered market.

Which reminds me: Pie Minister and moo moos, the perfect lunch on a horrible day.
Reply 48
Get yourself a Taste card (Buy one get one free in loads of restaurants), and then camp in Zizzi with a friend.
You're welcome.

Also, there's a Krispy Kreme in the old Prison complex, just saying...
(edited 11 years ago)
the first floor cousine on cowley for good all you can eat :smile:
Bloody hell - I saw 'oxonians' and thought I read 'oxoanions' :sigh:
Reply 51
Original post by Captainmal
Cous Cous Cafe is a Lebanese place on St Clements near Magdalen Roundabout, friendliest staff ever, seriously, also excellent food especially the variety of baguettes, wraps etc, easily as good as Taylor's or Olive's on the High Street but in a bit of a more interesting setting :smile: If you're looking for a Chinese Lan Kwai Fong on Cowley has (imo) the best food and a great variety of cocktails (must be at least 100). Enjoy :smile:

Cous Cous Cafe is amazing, but it's definitely Moroccan - I had a really long conversation about Marrakech with the owner, and their menu is VERY Moroccan. Definitely best service ever, and seconded about the food.

If you are looking for a Lebanese restaurants, I'd say As-Salaam is best for food, but Al-Shami is best for service. As-Salaam is more authentic in atmosphere as well, but the back room in Al-Shami is beautiful...BUT the Falafel House in Gloucester Green has the best Arab takeaway food in Oxford. Just thinking of their houmous is making my mouth water...
Reply 52
Unless you're just having tea, eating at Quod can get very expensive. For special occasions I think The Randolph Hotel (opposite the Ashmolean) is better in every way.

Agree with Edamame and Pierre Victoire wholeheartedly, especially lunch which is very fairly priced.

Has anyone eaten at the Christ Church Pizza Van? It's hyped quite a bit, and others deride the hype, and I'm not really sure what to think
Reply 53
It's not the best pizza you'll ever eat, but it is tasty and convenient for those whose college is right outside it. Definitely better than Domino's
Reply 54
Original post by MrCarmady
It's not the best pizza you'll ever eat, but it is tasty and convenient for those whose college is right outside it. Definitely better than Domino's

And as compared to Fire and Stone?
Reply 55
more expensive on thursdays, that's for sure :P
more conservative with ingredients and quicker. possibly better, yeah, though a sit-down place always carries higher expectations with it, so maybe that's why.
Reply 56
The best cheap and easy food has to be Mission Burrito, but I'm a big fan of Nosebag (although the concept of gluten free was wildly terrifying to them and they couldn't cope). Also Alpha bar in the covered market.

For a nice dinner I love love love Door 74 on the Cowley Road. If there are any vegetarians around, there is a pub off the Woodstock Road called... the Gardeners Arms maybe? Confusingly there are two pubs with similar names in close proximity. But one of them is all vegetarian. And serves some of the best garlic bread I have ever eaten.
Reply 57
They've gone and made the Red Lion all upmarket, which is rather disappointing. It used to be £4.99 for a Sunday roast WITH A PINT. There's also the Four Candles and Chez Hassan, which are exceptional eateries.

In all seriousness, it's Edamame. You will probably have to queue though, they have capacity for about 25 people, tops.
Original post by 0404343m
They've gone and made the Red Lion all upmarket, which is rather disappointing. It used to be £4.99 for a Sunday roast WITH A PINT. There's also the Four Candles and Chez Hassan, which are exceptional eateries.

In all seriousness, it's Edamame. You will probably have to queue though, they have capacity for about 25 people, tops.

I remember arguing with you (?) or someone about Chassen not being as good as, say, Botley rd kebab but after a while I changed my mind...I love their chilli sauce.

To be fair, Red Lions is still better than the Eagle and Child most days.
Reply 59
Original post by The Lyceum
I remember arguing with you (?) or someone about Chassen not being as good as, say, Botley rd kebab but after a while I changed my mind...I love their chilli sauce.

To be fair, Red Lions is still better than the Eagle and Child most days.

Possibly- I argue about the merits of fast food quite a lot it seems. Hassan's was closer to my room than any other kebab van, and given my lack of ability to multitask and eat and walk while drunk, how hot it was upon returning to room was a big thing. In hindsight, all this meant was a room that reeked of a half-eaten kebab to go with the hangover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending