The Student Room Group

Advice for Higher History and Modern Studies

I'm doing these subjects next year, so does anyone have any general advice for doing well in these two subjects, as I understand there's a lot to learn and quite a large jump from SG?:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm doing these subjects next year, so does anyone have any general advice for doing well in these two subjects, as I understand there's a lot to learn and quite a large jump from SG?:smile:

I did higher history this year, from SG there is a lot more sophicated language and punctuation required for your essays also historgraphy is required by giving quotations and opinions of different historians.
Source questions required basically mini essays, BBC bite size is a great revision resource and may help you get a feel for the course before you start.

Everything you say analysis like the introduction of the secret ballot removed the opportunity to corrupt the political system in Britain thereby making strides towards a democratic society in comparison to the bias system before
Best of luck ! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
If you haven't guessed already I did Higher History and Modern Studies this year. So I can tell you that as you progress into both courses, you will get loaded with more and more essays for homework! Therefore one bit of adivce is to not leave essays to the last minute (especially the extended essay for History)! I'll be keeping every single essay I did for History and Modern Studies, and also the essay plans which I created for exam revision so you can always ask me for help or to send you any of my essays/essay plans to compare.

I would say that as long as you keep up with homework and do plenty of essay revision for the exam as well as practicing for paper 2, you should be fine!
Hey! So, I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies after not doing it since S2! I was doing some standard grade revision and came across the terms: Oval Office, Congress, Senate, House of Representatives, Senators, Congressmen, Primary Elections and Federal System. I was wondering if someone could help explain their meaning and also maybe direct me - and anyone else reading this thread :smile: - to any good sites for Higher revision? Any any tips? (:
Original post by Awesome_Possum
Hey! So, I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies after not doing it since S2! I was doing some standard grade revision and came across the terms: Oval Office, Congress, Senate, House of Representatives, Senators, Congressmen, Primary Elections and Federal System. I was wondering if someone could help explain their meaning and also maybe direct me - and anyone else reading this thread :smile: - to any good sites for Higher revision? Any any tips? (:

http://www.modernityscotland.co.uk/ This was a fantastic resource when I was sitting it this year, covers the whole course and in enough detail for the essays. Also BBC Bitesize has some useful information for Higher modies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/modern/) which I used frequently enough.
Like Nfergs I've still got all my notes/essays/plans from doing the course so if you need a hand just give me a buzz, I'd go through your big list of words but it's 4 in the morning and I'm really tired :/
Reply 5
for both subjects, write essays regularly on what you have learned so that come the final exam, you have essays to learn from and even memorise; these subjects are easy but require a lot of work throughout the entire year, constant reading and writing essays
Higher Modern Studies isn't bad at all. The k/u you have to learn is not challenging whatsoever, the essays, at first seem difficult, but they are all like discursive essays in english, pros and cons etc.

The only thing I would say is throughout the year revise all topics you have studied, it will help a lot for when the exam comes.
Higher Modern Studies is great, I crashed it this year.

I would say try to start writing essays during the year, from about Christmas onwards at least in your own time so that when it's near the exams you only need to redraft them before revising them.

My friend last year gave me his essays to look at, and I found they were invaluable in assisting me with the structure of my essays. So if you know anyone who did it last year, they may be able to give you some copies. It really helped me write my essays - once I knew the structure I just had to insert content from my notes and some statistics. :smile:

One other thing - for paper 2 don't assume it will be wealth or health! I and the rest of my class did so were a bit stumped when the paper was about education.

Good luck, pm me if you want to ask me anything. :smile:
I did both highers this year and I don't suspect you'll encounter any problems. My only advice is memorise examples for Modern Studies throughout the year, not just as last minute revision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending