The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths Unit 3 19/06/2012 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 81
Original post by Skittle123
All of this UMS mark stuff is actually quite confusing for me
How many marks are there in this Unit 3 exam?
Could someone put like a predicted grade list, so how many i need for a D, C, B, A, A* please?
I basically want to know how many marks i need for a C in this exam because i need a D to get a B overall and i'm happy with that :biggrin:

Thank-a-you :P

The UMS is just pretty much double the marks of the exam. For example in Unit 3 there are 80 marks and 160 UMS availiable. A C grade should be around 56 marks, however the grade boundaries may move around slightly depending on how difficult students seem to have found the exam. So roughly a C should fall between 55-60 marks i think. If you're unsure, just check your UMS total so far, see how many you would need to get to your grade overall and calculate what percentage this figure is of the total UMS availiable in this exam. For example, if someone was on 200 UMS and wanted an A, they need 120ums in this exam to get an A overall. 120 ums as a percentage of total availiable in this exam is 120/160 which is 75%.
Original post by Me123456789
Hey, im doing this paper... and i cant do question 2, can anyone tell me how to do it, please??
Can anyone check my first answer too, i dont have the mark scheme...

Question 2:
Find an expression for the entire outer of the shape....
So it'll be [starting from the leftermost side, going clockwise round the sides]
2x + 4x+2 + x + x+1 + 3x + 5x+3
Put in the perimeter to find the value of 'x'
Which gives you...
16x + 6 = 54
16x = 48
x = 3

Split the shape into 2 boxes
One box- 4x+2 by 2x
One box x+1 by 3x

Find the lengths by substituting x in
One box- 14 by 6
One box- 4 by 9

Calculate the area- length time width
One box = 14 x 6 = 84
One box = 4 x 9 = 36

Add these together
84 + 36 = 120

Area = 120 cm squared

I think this is right...? If anyone would like to check, they're most welcome to!!!
Reply 83
Original post by SciF1
The UMS is just pretty much double the marks of the exam. For example in Unit 3 there are 80 marks and 160 UMS availiable. A C grade should be around 56 marks, however the grade boundaries may move around slightly depending on how difficult students seem to have found the exam. So roughly a C should fall between 55-60 marks i think. If you're unsure, just check your UMS total so far, see how many you would need to get to your grade overall and calculate what percentage this figure is of the total UMS availiable in this exam. For example, if someone was on 200 UMS and wanted an A, they need 120ums in this exam to get an A overall. 120 ums as a percentage of total availiable in this exam is 120/160 which is 75%.

Ohhhhhhhhhh that makes sence :smile:
Thanks for explaining it to me :smile:
And for working out the C grade :biggrin:
Original post by Anny Smiles
Question 2:
Find an expression for the entire outer of the shape....
So it'll be [starting from the leftermost side, going clockwise round the sides]
2x + 4x+2 + x + x+1 + 3x + 5x+3
Put in the perimeter to find the value of 'x'
Which gives you...
16x + 6 = 54
16x = 48
x = 3

Split the shape into 2 boxes
One box- 4x+2 by 2x
One box x+1 by 3x

Find the lengths by substituting x in
One box- 14 by 6
One box- 4 by 9

Calculate the area- length time width
One box = 14 x 6 = 84
One box = 4 x 9 = 36

Add these together
84 + 36 = 120

Area = 120 cm squared

I think this is right...? If anyone would like to check, they're most welcome to!!!

I'm confused now and I worked out that x=3.57, but you got x=3
:eek:
I'm confused now and I worked out that x=3.57, but you got x=3
:eek:

I'm sorry- I didn't mean to confuse you!

And there's no guarantee I'm right ;D

How did you work it to x = 3.57?
I'm sorry- I didn't mean to confuse you!

And there's no guarantee I'm right ;D

How did you work it to x = 3.57?

lol, its fine.:smile:

i simplified the equation for the shape and got 14x+4=54
then i solved that to get x:
14x+4=54
14x=50
x=50/14
so x=3.57
lol, its fine.:smile:

i simplified the equation for the shape and got 14x+4=54
then i solved that to get x:
14x+4=54
14x=50
x=50/14
so x=3.57

So we've just simplified the equation differently :P
I looked back at the shape, and from what I can see, I *think* it's 16x + 6 = 54
But if I'm wrong, please tell me... because I want to be able to get it right :P

You don't have a markscheme, by any chance?
So we've just simplified the equation differently :P
I looked back at the shape, and from what I can see, I *think* it's 16x + 6 = 54
But if I'm wrong, please tell me... because I want to be able to get it right :P

You don't have a markscheme, by any chance?

oh, yes it it 16x+6=54,
my mistake.:colondollar:
No i dont, my teacher is stingy about them.:mad:
oh, yes it it 16x+6=54,
my mistake.:colondollar:
No i dont, my teacher is stingy about them.:mad:

Aha, no problem, easy mistake to make- pretty sure I made it 14 the first time I added it, and then I realised when I checked! :P

I have a brilliant tendency to add numbers instead of multiplying... and I get ahead of myself, and answer what I think the question is, rather than reading the question... Marking my practice papers is an amusing experience :wink:

Mean person! We were given an edexcel sample, and an edexcel mock paper, and mark schemes for these later, so we had to do them ourselves first!
...and I thought it was just me...

My teacher gives us to do it in the lessons so i havent done any practice in exam conditions and I really neeed to, so now I need to find papers myself... :frown:
...and I thought it was just me...

My teacher gives us to do it in the lessons so i havent done any practice in exam conditions and I really neeed to, so now I need to find papers myself... :frown:

Not just you at all :wink:
My target in Math tends to be- "READ THE QUESTION!" :P

I don't get lots of practice in exam conditions, I suppose- I do papers without help, but I rarely worry about time, because I find the limits reasonably okay.

Good luck on the papers- we were given printed copies, and I don't own a scanner, so I'm of no help I'm afraid!
Not just you at all :wink:
My target in Math tends to be- "READ THE QUESTION!" :P

I don't get lots of practice in exam conditions, I suppose- I do papers without help, but I rarely worry about time, because I find the limits reasonably okay.

Good luck on the papers- we were given printed copies, and I don't own a scanner, so I'm of no help I'm afraid!

Thanks, you too.
I need to logout to get some revision done for geography now.
I'm doing maths at night.:biggrin:
For Non Calc on monday , circle theroums would this get 4 marks

So how many marks would this get

Angle OBA = 90 degrees as the angle between a tangent and a radius is 90 degrees

OBA=ODA=90 degress as the diagonally opposite angles in a kite are eqaul

The sum of angles in a quadrilateral is 360 degrees so angle DOB= 360-90-90-50=130 degrees

Angle DOB is twice angle BCD as the angle at the centre of the circle is twice the angle at the circumeference so

Angle BCD = 1/2 DOB
Angle BCD=65

(4 marks)
Reply 94
Aha, no problem, easy mistake to make- pretty sure I made it 14 the first time I added it, and then I realised when I checked! :P

I have a brilliant tendency to add numbers instead of multiplying... and I get ahead of myself, and answer what I think the question is, rather than reading the question... Marking my practice papers is an amusing experience :wink:

Mean person! We were given an edexcel sample, and an edexcel mock paper, and mark schemes for these later, so we had to do them ourselves first!

Can you please send me the mock paper mark scheme please?
Reply 95
Hi,

At the moment these are my UMS:

Unit 1: 102/120 - A
Unit 2: 98/120 - A

What is the lowest mark I need in Unit 3 to still retain my A??????????
What mark do I need to get an A*, I have worked it out, but I just felt that I had to share it with you guys, because I am really worried about getting an overall B.
Reply 96
Original post by A193
Hi,

What mark do I need to get an A*, I have worked it out, but I just felt that I had to share it with you guys, because I am really worried about getting an overall B.

Read above
Original post by A193
Hi,

I think that you need 120 UMS to get an A (which would be around 60 marks) and 160 UMS to get an A*, which would be full marks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MathsMind
Hi,

Here are some mock and practise papers for Unit 3 and the Mark Schemes. Credit goes to Edexcel for producing great quality papers for us. Enjoy and please comment

Happy Revising!!

hey erm the maths mock paper you just put here, i printed it off and done in but then i cant find any mark schemed for it to tell me the answers, when you're not busy could you pease consider putting the mark scheme up for the mock paper that you put up, i've been trying to do it all day!:frown: thank you
Reply 99
Original post by SciF1

Thanks for using my example,i'm at 200 ums atm. would you guys think it would be easy or hard to get 120/160 ums??????? cos i'm pretty scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending