The Student Room Group

Where do I go now? /:

Last year I did AS Biology , Chemistry , Physics and English Language/Literature and got UUUE. This was because of a mixture of my college being not that great at supporting me and me not generally putting in the effort. However this year I have done AS Biology , Chemistry and Economics.

Now I want to get into Medicine eventually but I am still worried that somehow I may fail this year again! (Because I YET AGAIN! didn't tackle my studies in the right way....I mainly worked hard at the start but then my revision became disorganized and went to pot towards the end. I was in a mad rush to cover all material.) By all means , I am hoping I get E's to get into A2 then pull my marks up in January with exams in order to apply to a science degree.

Medicine has always been a goal of mine and quite frankly I will cross every hill and fall through every hole to achieve it! As shown by my persistance and not simply giving up to do something else. Because I know I have the ability to do it! I just didn't do it right (stupidly enough)

So what I ask is if I fail the year , yet again, where the hell do I go from here!?

I would have flunked AS levels twice........

BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Applied Sciences , Access in Science or Medicine? or Nursing?

I am very worried that if I were to carry on with sciences..... an admissions tutor either for the science course or medicine ......... would probably ask "why the hell did it take you so long to progress? Is science not your thing?"
Reply 1
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
As shown by my persistance
How? Have you done any work experiences in school? There are many interesting jobs in this world. Whats your real interests? Why don't you speak to your career advisors to see?

You could use this summer to find out different options: apprenticeship, army, university, etc. Then, focus on your a2 next year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anoldbaby
How? Have you done any work experiences in school? There are many interesting jobs in this world. Whats your real interests? Why don't you speak to your career advisors to see?

You could use this summer to find out different options: apprenticeship, army, university, etc. Then, focus on your a2 next year.

That's the whole point.... I don't know if I would make it into the A2 year.... I hope I do then I won't have a problem. As for the interesting jobs thing... I have a few careers I always liked lined up but none of them give me the same feeling the prospect of a career in Medicine does. I want to pursue this dream until the very end and I mean that very much.
Reply 3
That's the whole point.... I don't know if I would make it into the A2 year.... I hope I do then I won't have a problem. As for the interesting jobs thing... I have a few careers I always liked lined up but none of them give me the same feeling the prospect of a career in Medicine does. I want to pursue this dream until the very end and I mean that very much.

But you've already had to resit your AS levels so you pretty much ruled out most medical schools unless you have extenuating circumstances ?
I might be mistaken but i thoguht that most medical schools don't accept people that have had to resit? Unless you go by graduate entry
Reply 5
hate to burst your bubble coz obviously medicine is a dream of yours, but how to you expect to pass numerous medical exams, practicals and assessments in addition to all those you'll have in the actual medical degree, if you cant organise yourself to pass your a levels with decent grades? i mean someone's life will be in your hands one day, its a pretty serious thing which isnt emphasied to many medicine applicants

definitely not saying you cant do medicine but i think you may want to re-evaluate this situation a bit more.
Reply 6

that's all the more reason for you to talk to your career advisors... so that you can investigate what options are available for you if you cannot make it to A2
Reply 7
If you can't even do AS how do you expect to complete a medical degree!?!??!
Last year I did AS Biology , Chemistry , Physics and English Language/Literature and got UUUE. This was because of a mixture of my college being not that great at supporting me and me not generally putting in the effort. However this year I have done AS Biology , Chemistry and Economics.

Now I want to get into Medicine eventually but I am still worried that somehow I may fail this year again! (Because I YET AGAIN! didn't tackle my studies in the right way....I mainly worked hard at the start but then my revision became disorganized and went to pot towards the end. I was in a mad rush to cover all material.) By all means , I am hoping I get E's to get into A2 then pull my marks up in January with exams in order to apply to a science degree.

Medicine has always been a goal of mine and quite frankly I will cross every hill and fall through every hole to achieve it! As shown by my persistance and not simply giving up to do something else. Because I know I have the ability to do it! I just didn't do it right (stupidly enough)

So what I ask is if I fail the year , yet again, where the hell do I go from here!?

BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 in Applied Sciences , Access in Science or Medicine? or Nursing?

I am very worried that if I were to carry on with sciences..... an admissions tutor either for the science course or medicine ......... would probably ask "why the hell did it take you so long to progress? Is science not your thing?"

I think a little of the criticism here is unfounded, I too flunked in my A-levels but I'm on track for a 1st in my degree. I changed my work ethic, and it sounds like you're trying to too.

Unfortunately you have ruled yourself out of most 5-year medicine courses because of the resits. Your best bet would be to do as well as you can, and get plenty of work experience. Do a gap year, maybe try and get a caring job or volunteer for a significant period in a caring role. Then you could consider some of the six-year courses, or failing that try a degree and do graduate entry medicine (be warned, though, it's really, really tough to get in to!).

You really will have to find a new way of motivating yourself and revising if you want any hope of, firstly, getting into medical school, and secondly, completing it. It is possible to change the way you work and get good grades, but you really will have to find some motivation.

All the best,

Matt
You might want to look into allied health-care degrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_health_professions

You could, in theory still get in for GEM eventually, but it would be the single most amazing success story that I would know of.
Reply 10

Hi! By your post I'm guessing you're either bad at researching or just can't calm yourself down into think logically and researching on TSR.

I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago and now, well I haven't gotten in yet but I am pretty close and my prospectus are looking up.

When I failed my AS for the first time I was scared that if I stayed and persisted with A-levels that I would lead a life of failure so I switched to BTEC National Diploma in Applied Sciences. Most people look down on it but it's what you do with it!

And also, don't be mislead into thinking that Access courses could be your option! They are hard to get into and they are not an easy course!

Anyway, PM me if you need further help. But do not leave this website! LOL TSR is all you need to get you into the right direction!
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
You might want to look into allied health-care degrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_health_professions

You could, in theory still get in for GEM eventually, but it would be the single most amazing success story that I would know of.

Don't see why tbh, lots of graduate entry medics have rubbish A levels. A 2:1 at an undergraduate degree tends to make up for a lack of direction or academic maturity at a young age. Though most of TSR won't believe it, A levels do not in fact predict how you will fare in the rest of your life, at university, or as a doctor.
Original post by Democracy
Don't see why tbh, lots of graduate entry medics have rubbish A levels. A 2:1 at an undergraduate degree tends to make up for a lack of direction or academic maturity at a young age. Though most of TSR won't believe it, A levels do not in fact predict how you will fare in the rest of your life, at university, or as a doctor.

If I'm reading his post correctly he got Us, then tried harder because he wanted to get into medicine and got Es. A 2.1 isn't easier to get than As, so it's by no means easy and the poster states that he's already motivated, yet still gets Es. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with many amazing academic turn-arounds, but this one would certainly be amazingly impressive to me if it succeeds. I wish the OP the best of luck.
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
If I'm reading his post correctly he got Us, then tried harder because he wanted to get into medicine and got Es. A 2.1 isn't easier to get than As, so it's by no means easy and the poster states that he's already motivated, yet still gets Es. Perhaps I'm just not familiar with many amazing academic turn-arounds, but this one would certainly be amazingly impressive to me if it succeeds. I wish the OP the best of luck.

University is a totally different ball game to A levels. Everything: the coursework, the method of learning, exams, the length, weighting, etc. The fact that when you come up to doing your uni finals, you're an adult, not a sixth former, with all the maturity and changes that brings.

It is perfectly possible that someone who did badly at A level can go onto do very well at uni (and get into medical school). I'm not saying this will happen for everyone who does badly at A levels, but I'm saying it's not uncommon either.
I got a D and two Es at A level but am on track for a 1st. In my classes everyone thought id be getting A's but my work ethic and technique wasn't right so I flunked. It is possible for someone to be intelligent but misguided and young.
Original post by Democracy
University is a totally different ball game to A levels. Everything: the coursework, the method of learning, exams, the length, weighting, etc. The fact that when you come up to doing your uni finals, you're an adult, not a sixth former, with all the maturity and changes that brings.

I'm sure that's true in many cases, but my first two years of pre-clinical medicine felt quite close to the IB, but a few notches more in depth and more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending