Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is this a good college course for progression into uni/industry

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone please give me their opinion on this course - http://www.halesowen.ac.uk/index.cfm...l&courseid=501

Ideally i would like to work in the accounting industry.
    I would be hoping to do this course to go on into uni and do Accounting and Finance, do you think this would be a good starting point / suitable?

Thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippo203)
    Could anyone please give me their opinion on this course - http://www.halesowen.ac.uk/index.cfm...l&courseid=501

I would be hoping to do this course to go on into uni and do Accounting and Finance, do you think this would be a good starting point / suitable?

Thanks
    depends on your ambitions.

However for a post-16 qualification to uni A-levels are your best bet. A lot of top employers may as for A-level maths for accounting positions along with a degree.

If you don't want to go to sixth form I suggest you do an accredited training course that will allow you to train as an accountant, then after so many years of working in the field apply to uni as a mature student. That said I don't think it would be easy to get an accounting job with just GCSE, not sure though, you may explore that yourself.

The thing about BTECs are that they are time consuming, an awful lot of work goes in to them to get the top grade of DDD, which is still not seen as really comparable to AAA at A-level. E.g. may universities will ask for DDD in a BTEC but only ABB at A-level.

The amount of work you would put in over the year for a good grade in BTEC, if you put in the same amount for A-levels, you would more than likely get AAA-ABB.

This course doesn't seem to be accredited by any accountantcy body so stay clear of it if you are looking for employment with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    depends on your ambitions.

However for a post-16 qualification to uni A-levels are your best bet. A lot of top employers may as for A-level maths for accounting positions along with a degree.

If you don't want to go to sixth form I suggest you do an accredited training course that will allow you to train as an accountant, then after so many years of working in the field apply to uni as a mature student. That said I don't think it would be easy to get an accounting job with just GCSE, not sure though, you may explore that yourself.

The thing about BTECs are that they are time consuming, an awful lot of work goes in to them to get the top grade of DDD, which is still not seen as really comparable to AAA at A-level. E.g. may universities will ask for DDD in a BTEC but only ABB at A-level.

The amount of work you would put in over the year for a good grade in BTEC, if you put in the same amount for A-levels, you would more than likely get AAA-ABB.

This course doesn't seem to be accredited by any accountantcy body so stay clear of it if you are looking for employment with it.
    For Accountancy none of the BIG 4 ask for Maths at A-level, its not necessary to do it. I would however recommend A-levels on the whole as they give you a lot more flexibility and academic rigor compared to a BTEC, that is not to say you couldn't break into accountancy with a BTEC.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    For Accountancy none of the BIG 4 ask for Maths at A-level, its not necessary to do it. I would however recommend A-levels on the whole as they give you a lot more flexibility and academic rigor compared to a BTEC, that is not to say you couldn't break into accountancy with a BTEC.
    I'm near sure I've seen it asked somewhere. I think they ask for GCSE B+ then? Maybe got confused with that.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I'm near sure I've seen it asked somewhere. I think they ask for GCSE B+ then? Maybe got confused with that.
    GCSE B or above is normal. Not A Level maths though. They test your numerical ability during the application procedure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippo203)

Thanks
    The question is, do you really want to do a 2 year course? If yes, then evaluate all the available colleges in your neighbourhood. However, its a good think to contemplate and understand if there are other courses which offer you better opportunities at either getting a job or will help you in starting your own business. There are some really good distance education and part-time colleges in UK, which have tied with ACCA, AAT etc to provide such courses. Kaplan is one, Home Learning College is considered as one of the best. It might be a good idea to contact them and check their courses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.