ReputationRep:
    Diamond is a form of carbon.

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
    b) an element
    c) an ionic compound
    d) a mixture

---
    I am aware it is made up purely of carbon but it is not on the periodic table, so is it classed as an element or not? What is the answer please
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceUpsb)

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
    b) an element
    c) an ionic compound
    d) a mixture

---
    I am aware it is made up purely of carbon but it is not on the periodic table, so is it classed as an element or not? What is the answer please
    It is a specific physical form of an element. This is known as an allotrope. Most elements have two or more distinct physical forms. For example, oxygen exists as oxygen gas and ozone.

The different allotropes may arise due to different molecular arrangements, or due to different lattices of molecules and/or atoms.

Carbon has several identified allotropes, diamond, graphite, fullerenes, graphene.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    It is a specific physical form of an element. This is known as an allotrope. Most elements have two or more distinct physical forms. For example, oxygen exists as oxygen gas and ozone.

The different allotropes may arise due to different molecular arrangements, or due to different lattices of molecules and/or atoms.

Carbon has several identified allotropes, diamond, graphite, fullerenes, graphene.
    But they are all still classed as the element 'carbon', as well as having their specific 'allotrope' names? Am I right?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
    b) an element
    c) an ionic compound
    d) a mixture

---
    The answer is A as it is a giant covalent lattice where each carbon is bonded to four others.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowdog94)
    The answer is A as it is a giant covalent lattice where each carbon is bonded to four others.
    That is what I thought but the mark scheme says its B
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But they are all still classed as the element 'carbon', as well as having their specific 'allotrope' names? Am I right?
    Well obviously as it consists of only Carbon atoms. Carbon has many allotrope like Graphite, Diamond, Buckminsterfullerene. I assume the answer is A because it's not a compound. Compounds have more than one element. I guess you could call it Carbon because that's what it is. It's like calling O2 or N2 Oxygen or Nitrogen, despite them being in the diatomic state.
    • 117 followers

ReputationRep:

Diamond is

a) a covalent compound
    b) an element
    c) an ionic compound
    d) a mixture

---
    It is a form of carbon, and contains just that, so is classed as an element (allotrope). There are others, such as Graphite

just think of oxygen, the molcule is diatomic (has two atoms) but we always consider the diatomic molecule to be the element oxygen. The same with the halogens

A compound is always more than one type of atom. O2 is not a compound just as diomond isn't
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowdog94)
    No, it's not a compound, it's an element
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher and revision guide says covalent compound of a lattice structure. But I do edexcel in my science exams so it may be less advanced?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theGeezus)
    Our teacher and revision guide says covalent compound of a lattice structure. But I do edexcel in my science exams so it may be less advanced?

Your teacher and revision guide are wrong (if they say that)!!!!

Compounds MUST have two or more elements chemically combined...

... it's the definition of a compound.

The very word "compound" means being made up of different parts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's an element since diamond is an allotrope which means it's an alternative form of the same element (carbon) in the same state (solid). Answer should be B, I think.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be B as it's an allotrope.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 2, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.