Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fat and Muscle

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, i'm currently 5ft9 and my weight is 10st9 and i'm 15.

i want to lose weight but also build muscle such as my arms and abs, Should i not do weights/etc untill i've lost the bit of fat in my arms? and not do sit-ups etc untill the bit of fat in my stomach is gone? as i've heard that it's pointless doing sit-ups as it will just make your stomach look fatter

So should i firstly do cardio workout untill i've lost the fat and then build muscle? or not? thanks in advance
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazinq)

i want to lose weight but also build muscle such as my arms and abs, Should i not do weights/etc untill i've lost the bit of fat in my arms? and not do sit-ups etc untill the bit of fat in my stomach is gone? as i've heard that it's pointless doing sit-ups as it will just make your stomach look fatter

So should i firstly do cardio workout untill i've lost the fat and then build muscle? or not? thanks in advance
    Join a gym.

Lift weights.

Do conditioning work (sprints etc.) to taste.

Eat like a grown up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Join a gym.

Lift weights.

Do conditioning work (sprints etc.) to taste.

Eat like a grown up.
    i don't want to lift weights if the fat stays there so it would just look big fat arms and not muscle arms
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If i was you the best option is to lose the weight first to be your comfortable weight then begin training to gain muscle.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to lift weights if the fat stays there so it would just look big fat arms and not muscle arms
    Doing cardio alone will result in you turning into a smaller version of yourself. The reason you look flabby isn't because you're fat, it's because you have little/no appreciable muscle mass.

You only weigh 10 stone for christs sake. Lift weights, sprint and eat food. Or don't, makes no difference to me. I've given you the correct advice for what you want to achieve.

Whether you chose to follow it or one of the bull**** ideas posted by someone who has no idea what they're talking about is up to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Doing cardio alone will result in you turning into a smaller version of yourself. The reason you look flabby isn't because you're fat, it's because you have little/no appreciable muscle mass.

You only weigh 10 stone for christs sake. Lift weights, sprint and eat food. Or don't, makes no difference to me. I've given you the correct advice for what you want to achieve.

Whether you chose to follow it or one of the bull**** ideas posted by someone who has no idea what they're talking about is up to you.
    I never said i wouldn't take your advice, all i said i don't want to do it if the fat stays there as you didn't say if it did or not.

I do exercise quite bit, and i've got some weights, so i'll start using them more often as well. I'll also have to change my diet i guess, considering i eat alot of ****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can the fat 'stay' there if you do weights ? Sort your diet out then it shouldn't be an issue.

Why bother about fat when you are underweight ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I never said i wouldn't take your advice, all i said i don't want to do it if the fat stays there as you didn't say if it did or not.

I do exercise quite bit, and i've got some weights, so i'll start using them more often as well. I'll also have to change my diet i guess, considering i eat alot of ****.
    Doing a few curls in your room/garage/conservatory does not count as weight training.

Join a gym. Squat, bench, deadlift and press.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 11 stone pretty much is a healthy wait I'd imagine for a 5 foot 9 guy, regardless of age.
    If you haven't done any exercise, you won't have much muscle. Once you start toning up, you'll get a tighter better overall shape
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks all for the comments, i'm probably going to get membership in the gym soon to get fit during the summer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liftorrot)
    How can the fat 'stay' there if you do weights ? Sort your diet out then it shouldn't be an issue.

Why bother about fat when you are underweight ?
    The only reason i thought this as i read somewhere that the fat cells will stay there and build on the muscle, causing people to see the fat and muscle, if that is wrong then sorry
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being a similar height as you and weighing in around the same weight as you (and I am female) I can guarantee you that fat is not the problem your lack of muscle is the problem.

My suggestion is that you focus on building muscle first which requires you to gain weight. Yes you will gain some fat but that is normal and you can minimise fat gains if you gain weight at a slow pace. Then after at least a few months you can then start thinking of losing weight to lose the extra fat you gained when you put on weight.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only reason i thought this as i read somewhere that the fat cells will stay there and build on the muscle, causing people to see the fat and muscle, if that is wrong then sorry
    When you gain weight you gain both fat and muscle (however like i posted before fat gains can be minimised when you lift weights and don't gain weight too fast). When you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle (however muscle loss can be minimised)

Fat and muscle are not the same thing and work in two completely different ways
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the more muscle mass you build, the more calories you will burn throughout the day. so weight lifting and a diet higher in protein will help you lose the fat.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liftorrot)
    You can't generally speaking lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. So if he did gain lean mass then the fat would still be there, despite him looking a whole lot better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Being a similar height as you and weighing in around the same weight as you (and I am female) I can guarantee you that fat is not the problem your lack of muscle is the problem.

My suggestion is that you focus on building muscle first which requires you to gain weight. Yes you will gain some fat but that is normal and you can minimise fat gains if you gain weight at a slow pace. Then after at least a few months you can then start thinking of losing weight to lose the extra fat you gained when you put on weight.
    Thanks, this has helped alot, what would you suggest in to gaining good looking abs? (6 pack) apart from sit-ups
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

No, no and no

You need to operate on a calorie deficit diet. You are guaranteed to lose weight if you stick to this. But if you do this, then you also may lose muscle mass. So to maintain muscle mass, go to the gym 3 times a week and lift weights. Make sure you target all the major muscle groups and not just biceps/abs.

You won't build that much muscle while you're doing this but it ensures you lose fat while maintainin muscle mass. Once you are happy with your body fat, then you can start to focus solely on building muscle. Now that's a whole different story.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this has helped alot, what would you suggest in to gaining good looking abs? (6 pack) apart from sit-ups
    Abdominal Crunches are best
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't do abs often and my abs have started to show through (and I'm a girl as well). If do general weight such as deadlift, bench press and squats (which is what I do) you are guaranteed that the muscles in the whole body is getting a workout. You may want to do crunches once in a while but I suggest adding weights to it but like I said I don't exercise them much.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

low body fat= 6 pack abs. not sit ups.
    off the top of my head around 7% (average) body fat means your abs should show

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 30, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.