The Student Room Group

HIS3G -- British State and People, 1865-1915 AQA A2 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
Hi guys!
I was just wondering, do you have to use historical opinions and names of historians?
Reply 42
They might boost your answer but its not necessary. Obviously your own interpretation counts as a historical opinion, don't use personal pronouns though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Zahabiyah
Hi guys!
I was just wondering, do you have to use historical opinions and names of historians?

Use this cheat: Marxist historian -- everything happens because of the working class -- second and third reform bills, Labour movmeent an inneviatbility as was sufferagism, New Liberalism happened because of pressures from working class.

Blake/Vincent: Conservative Historians; Liberals were generally populist and because of personal reasons they survived all these years.
Reply 44
Okay thanks!
Also, any help with this question: To what extent was the development of the Labour Movement the most significant threat to Gladstone’s Liberal Party during the years 1865 to 1900?

The threat of the Labour movement I thought came about after 1900 and therefore was a motive for Liberal reforms 1906-1915. What could you write about between 1865-1900?
What ums do you guys need ?
Reply 46
Sure the question was specifically asking for rise of labour and not organised labour?

The rise of organised labour means you can talk about two topics.

Trade Unions - Their emergence and impact. e.g Gladstone's Trade Unions Act 1871, 1871 Criminal Law act, Disraeli's Conspiracy and protection of Property Act 1875. The Taff Vale case and Osbourne Judgement - Increase in trade union militancy - Mass strikes - Dockers Union 'New Unionists' - idea of syndicalism (Working without a boss basically) How trade unions were involved in the formation of Labour - Help fundings - Working class MP, Thomas Burt 1894 sponsored by trade unions.

Political Parties - LRC and Labour Party - January 1910- 40 candidates - December 1910 - 42 MP candidates - Labour party have increasing significance - Liberals losing their influence - working class people have alternative party to vote for. Support for Trade Disputes Act 1906 - labour drafted it, Liberals delivered it. - highlights pressure from Labour.

Theres more but thats just to give you an idea. Hope that helped you anyway.
Reply 47
It did! Thank you :smile:

One last question, none of the early stuff on foreign policy has come up. But I have come across this question: 'A hollow achievement'. To what extent to do you agree with this assessment of Disraeli's performance at the congress of Berlin 1878'?

How would you write 4 sides on that?!
Reply 48
Where did you get that from!? I've no idea how to answer that. I guess you would talk about the Eastern Question and Bulgarian Crisis of 1876?
Reply 49
Original post by Zahabiyah
It did! Thank you :smile:

One last question, none of the early stuff on foreign policy has come up. But I have come across this question: 'A hollow achievement'. To what extent to do you agree with this assessment of Disraeli's performance at the congress of Berlin 1878'?

How would you write 4 sides on that?!

Spend a while defining the question -- "hollow" wouldn't be used in the exam but it would imply that his achievements were band aid solutions, treated effects not causes. Which is kind of true because he started dismissing the balkans question as "coffeehouse gossip" and refuesed to get involved. His foreign secretary (derby?) was useless in negotiating and in the process of addressing the problem, he isolated britian. He only negotiated what he did with force and oratorical skill and the acquisition of Cyprus actually cost the British, it wasn't an asset. His solution was short lived, as the acusisiton of territory by Russia was a prerequisite to world war one and siding with the Ottomans just made them feel secure.

On the other hand though, it did prevent the outbreak of war and the results were favoruable for Britian. He got what he wanted out of it, solved the problems caused earlier in solving the crises and showed the willingness of Britain to use force (which didn't transpire to World War One)

So on the whole it wasn't an achievement, it was just a crises averted and he did cause other problems but it was negotiated well and a crises was averted whilst good international relations were established.
Reply 50

Thanks! Wish our school did something like that :angry:
waaaaaaaaaaaah so scared D:
Good luck everyone! x
Just finished now D:

What did everyone think?
I did te question on the depression (I actually nearly wet myself when I saw it came up), and the Ireland question. I struggled a little though, I couldn't think of much else to right other than the Curragh Mutiny, the war, the HR Bill of 1914 etc.
Who did 1 and 3 I thought that was the best of combination .
I did 1, but I couldn't figure out what I needed to write for 3. Is that Gladstone's 2nd Ministry reforms? (franchise, seats) and the liberal Parliament Act 1911?
Original post by buildalegohouse
I did 1, but I couldn't figure out what I needed to write for 3. Is that Gladstone's 2nd Ministry reforms? (franchise, seats) and the liberal Parliament Act 1911?

Erm I talked about second reform act , secret ballot act , 1884 reform act , women ratepayer act etc . What was your argument for the first question ? Did you talk about the readjustment in the economy .
Reply 56
I did 2 and 3.

2 was alright. I knew the dates and the Facts. Started in 1910 though, my justification being the Nationalists were largely ignored due to the huge Liberal majority Prior to this. I also had Curragh Mutiny. The qualms of the Ulsterman and the cooperation of Bonar Law and Carson in aiding the rebels. My spin was that Asquith was a failure and civil war was imminent.
3 encompassed: The Second Reform Act. The Third Reform Act. The Secret Ballot Act + The Corrupt and Illegal Practices Act. The Parliament Act, and it would also have been prudent to give Women a mention in there somewhere, as for why it wasn't a democracy.
For the Great Depression, I argued that it was a period of re-adjustment rather than a depression, visible vs invisible trade balance. On the background of growth, rising living standards. I weighed up how it is easy to assume that there wasn't a depression with the pyschological effect on the people, that it seemed serious to them etc. etc.
I wrtoe four pages, and for the second q, three. I think I did fairly good on the first, not so good on the second. I kind of wish that I did the third instead, but oh well. Can't change it now. :P

How did everyone think they did?
Reply 58
Can't complain. I was really hoping for a Foreign Policy question, but the ones' we had were reasonable.
Reply 59
I did the economy and democracy one. The democracy one was a godsend, got so much out of it. The economy one was relatively straight forward although i did struggle a little. I had no idea how to get 3-4 pages out the Ireland question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending