Results are out! Find what you Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Don't know which direction I'm heading in.

Announcements Posted on
Score your uni out of 10 and help thousands of students chose the right uni 21-09-2015
Applying to uni? Take our 60-second survey - you could bag an Amazon voucher. 19-09-2015
  1. Offline

I'm 20 years old and finished college 2 years ago with a BTEC National Diploma in Sports and Exercise Science with a PPP mark. I am still currently trying to pass my maths GCSE, I have applied for a foundation degree in Adult Nursing and a foundation degree in Midwifery at Truro/Plymouth University, I have been declined for the second time this year, and am waiting for clearing to start. I am visually impaired so cannot drive. I am so frustrated with why I've been declined again, I have put my maths mark as pending, as they requested and I was still declined, with immense pressure from my parents and me just being generally bored, living at home growing up with a pretty poor waitressing job. Just need some advice on clearing, also I would love to work in Health, I've looked at Apprenticeships, but can anyone give me any tips on how to make my way into either university or anyway I can still work in Healthcare avoiding Care homes, people knowing from experience, or am I missing something? Also are there any careers I can work my way up through to gain a decent salary and general life?
  2. Offline

Have you ever considered an Access course at a college? They basically give you the qualifications to go on to University and you can do them in Nursing + Midwifery
    They do have a fee however but it varies at different colleges.
  3. Offline

You really will need to get that maths GCSE up - that's probably one of the major sticking points. Have you looked at the option of doing a GCSE equivalent, such as Key Skills?

In terms of careers in health that don't require a degree, have you thought about becoming a healthcare assistant? They work in hospitals, and do a lot of the hands-on care that nurses have traditionally done. It's often seen as a good way for people applying to medicine to get experience, and so being an HCA can only help you in any subsequent applications to uni.

Perhaps dental nursing would be an option? It doesn't have particularly high academic requirements, and I believe that people tend to learn on the job.
  4. Offline

Thankyou guys especially doughnut, I've looked into Access Courses and they look quite interesting just worried about living costs. X

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 1, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

Vote now in the TSR EU Referendum

Should we stay or should we go?

Do you agree with the 5p plastic bag charges in England?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

A student looking down a microscope

Track uni applications

See which students are getting offers...and where

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Hands typing

10 steps to applying to uni

How to make your choices and put in your application.

More on applying to uni

Applying to uniA-level results day features

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Clearing and adjustment vacancies:

Sponsored content

University of Bradford clearing vacancies

Looking for a place at uni?

Bradford University can help you decide what is right for YOU! Call us 0300 004 0342

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.