The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Bexda
she used prepositions and auxiliary verbs that are usually found within post telegraphic, I said post telegraphic as telegraphic is 24-36 months :smile: so our 'expectations are that shes in the p. telegraphic stage :smile:'

I played it safe with telegraphic and stated it as normal as she was like borderline and it was clear she didn't have clear grammatical understandings. If she was above 36 months, maybe 37 then she would be lagging behind. That was that i thought.
Reply 481
Original post by smiles123
Yeah I kinda thought this that's why I put post telegraphic, although I wish I had Said that you couldn't perfectly fit her into a particular category as she had elements Of both, but what's do e is done now :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Totally, :smile: there is no wrong or write answer if you explain, she was far in Bullugi's pronoun and negative stages with placing them into complex sentences yet had virtuous errors, perhaps due to her being in a domestic setting meaning she didn't have to express her compentency
Reply 482
Original post by Jakeeyy
I played it safe with telegraphic and stated it as normal as she was like borderline and it was clear she didn't have clear grammatical understandings. If she was above 36 months, maybe 37 then she would be lagging behind. That was that i thought.

I concluded at the end that her early phonological errors suggest she is perhaps not at her expected stage, showing understanding that is associated with telegraphic but due to it being a domestic setting it may have affected her language used :smile:
Reply 483
Original post by Bexda
I concluded at the end that her early phonological errors suggest she is perhaps not at her expected stage, showing understanding that is associated with telegraphic but due to it being a domestic setting it may have affected her language used :smile:

Yeah the home setting played heavily in my context. Saying she was relaxed and playing rather than focusing on her language.

Reply 484
Original post by ss003
Yeah the home setting played heavily in my context. Saying she was relaxed and playing rather than focusing on her language.

Then linked it to both Bruner and Vgotsky! I think I got in most theorists but not Skinner, can't remember! So glad I got Bullugi in there! Err! Do you know the weightings?

Reply 485
Original post by Bexda
Then linked it to both Bruner and Vgotsky! I think I got in most theorists but not Skinner, can't remember! So glad I got Bullugi in there! Err! Do you know the weightings?

I got Vgotsky and Skinner in mainly as Jess made errors similar to her mum so linked it to behaviourist and idiotlect. Got Aitchison in as well.

AO1 is 24
AO2 is 16
AO3 is 8

Reply 486
Original post by ss003
I got Vgotsky and Skinner in mainly as Jess made errors similar to her mum so linked it to behaviourist and idiotlect. Got Aitchison in as well.

AO1 is 24
AO2 is 16
AO3 is 8

Yeah because she made syntax errors! I think I slipped that in! The text b was a little harder, got in some halliday and early phonological errors and CDs. Not as much to write about I thought!

Reply 487
Original post by Bexda

Yeah i said that with LAD that she wasn't at the correct stage to understand things, like her sentences structure was much like a telegraph rather than a coherent sentence, which is generally acquired later.
Reply 488
Original post by Bexda
Yeah because she made syntax errors! I think I slipped that in! The text b was a little harder, got in some halliday and early phonological errors and CDs. Not as much to write about I thought!

Only used Skinner once i think. Because Jess made an error saying a banana was red and her Mum did use negative lexis but she didn't use repetition to ensure next time, the lexical choice would be correct, she kind of just moved on.
Reply 489
Original post by Jakeeyy
Yeah i said that with LAD that she wasn't at the correct stage to understand things, like her sentences structure was much like a telegraph rather than a coherent sentence, which is generally acquired later.

Yeah! Sounds good :L glad it's over! I just need to get at least a D overall in this exam then hope my cwk and last year make it a C. Don't happen to know the weightings?

Reply 490
Text B mentioned politeness principle with the chocolate fiasco. Was laughing at the idea of her mum just continuing to sing twinkle twinkle little star to change the subject haha.

Reply 491
Original post by Bexda
Yeah! Sounds good :L glad it's over! I just need to get at least a D overall in this exam then hope my cwk and last year make it a C. Don't happen to know the weightings?

Weightings for what? I need like 83/120 (high C) for an A. Dunno though, change was a ball ache.
Reply 492
Original post by ss003
Text B mentioned politeness principle with the chocolate fiasco. Was laughing at the idea of her mum just continuing to sing twinkle twinkle little star to change the subject haha.

I mentioned politeness with rules of conversation and tied it all in with interrogatives.
Reply 493
Original post by Jakeeyy
Only used Skinner once i think. Because Jess made an error saying a banana was red and her Mum did use negative lexis but she didn't use repetition to ensure next time, the lexical choice would be correct, she kind of just moved on.

Also deleted unstressed polysyllabic syllables nana! :smile: slipped that in and said they were hard to say but usually associated with early development

Reply 494
Original post by Jakeeyy
Weightings for what? I need like 83/120 (high C) for an A. Dunno though, change was a ball ache.

So bad! Our teachers never really explained how to write it :/ so was utterly confused and there was no one text, which there usually is!

Reply 495
Original post by Jakeeyy

Change could've been a lot worse, I.e January's. I did question 4 but spent so long trying to read the ford advert - wasted such a long time to talk about graphology more than anything else. Felt like AS again talking about gender and power.

Reply 496
Original post by Bexda
Also deleted unstressed polysyllabic syllables nana! :smile: slipped that in and said they were hard to say but usually associated with early development

I kept it simple, stuck to

Interrogatives- CDS
Turn taking with adjacency pairs
Politeness through answering
Skinner with the negative lexis
Question, answer style discourse
Playing with cards with interaction.
Use of simple sentences as if Mum was being all complex Jess would be confused, introduced Chomsky.
The stage she was at
The nature of her staggered sentences, LAD
Non fluency features -false starts.
Reply 497
Original post by ss003
Change could've been a lot worse, I.e January's. I did question 4 but spent so long trying to read the ford advert - wasted such a long time to talk about graphology more than anything else. Felt like AS again talking about gender and power.

I felt January was a better exam, still got a D though, somehow.
Reply 498
Original post by Jakeeyy

Im not sure, given I got a D as well. I'm getting the impression the majority of the country failed Jan's. After getting my paper back I was just AO2 led all the way.

Reply 499
Original post by Jakeeyy

Let's not sweat on it guys! Whens your last exam? Are you going to Uni next year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending