The Student Room Group

English Language AQA ENGB3 11th June 2012 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
Can't believe that this time tomorrow we'll be sat in the exam!

That made want to be a bit sick. :sick:
Original post by ispymo
That made want to be a bit sick. :sick:

Every time I think of the exam I feel the exact same! :frown:
Reply 122
I really hope there is a dictionary entry for change, managed to get an A in the mock of those, does anyone else find them easier?
Original post by ispymo
I need ABB or AAC for my top Uni, so I'd love a B, but I'm hoping to get A's in my other two but would like a B as a back up and all. My 2nd Choice Uni is quite a lot lower but it's not a proper University so I'm not too keen on that although the features are amazing.

Oh I see :smile: So you can still get into your first choice uni even if you don't get a B. I can see why'd you'd want it too, but it's not the end the world of you don't. If my maths is right, you need 60 more UMS for a C, which is infinitely more achievable than 100, so you're still in good steed to get in your first choice if you're aiming for As in the other two.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 124
Not sure how I feel about this exam. On the one hand I'm underprepared, but on the other hand I don't need to do too well to get a B overall because of my other grades (I think I need 65 UMS to get a B (might be slightly less, I can't remember)) 'cos I did well in my other exams & coursework. That being said, last summer I got a D...

Did anyone else think the AS exam last year was a bit.. unfair? The highest grade at our college was a B after that, with most people getting Cs/Ds. Then in the resit, everyone got an A. Everyone. Seemed fishy to me...

Anyway, can someone tell me any theories I'm missing? I think I'm fine overall for Language Change, but Language Acquisition (writing and reading) my CGP revision guide seems to be a bit thin on theories...

Change:

Aitchison - Language in decay

Aitchison - Informalisation

Fairclough - Conversationalisation

Crystal - Tri-Dialect*

Freeborn - Ugliness/Impreciseness/Incorrectness Views*

Humphreys - Laziness & Technology

Acquisition

Spoken: Chomsky vs Skinner -Nature vs Nurture

Spoken: Piaget -Cognitive Development

Spoken: Bruner - LASS

Spoken: Nelson -First word categorisation

Spoken: Halliday -Stages

Spoken: Berko & Brown -Fis phenomenon

Spoken: Cruttenden -Inflections

Spoken: Lenneberg -Critical Period Hypothesis

Spoken: Vygotsky -ZPD & Private Speech

Writing: Kroll -Stages

Writing: Barclay -Stages

Reading: ???

There's a few I'm not sure on, like David Crystal's Tri-dialect and Freeborn's views, so if someone could explain those in simple terms that would be helpful :smile:

Looking back at that list, it seems I've almost got too many theories for spoken acquisition.. especially when combined with the frameworks.. Our teachers put quite a lot of emphasis on the theory side of it all.. =/

Also, did I read that the exam board has a descriptive attitude re: Acquisition? We haven't been told anything of the sort, and I've been quite critical in that section in my past papers to date, but being marked highly. Should I try and change my wording of this for the exam..?

(Edit: Sorry for the long post! :colondollar:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xenite
Not sure how I feel about this exam. On the one hand I'm underprepared, but on the other hand I don't need to do too well to get a B overall because of my other grades (I think I need 65 UMS to get a B (might be slightly less, I can't remember)) 'cos I did well in my other exams & coursework. That being said, last summer I got a D...

Did anyone else think the AS exam last year was a bit.. unfair? The highest grade at our college was a B after that, with most people getting Cs/Ds. Then in the resit, everyone got an A. Everyone. Seemed fishy to me...

Anyway, can someone tell me any theories I'm missing? I think I'm fine overall for Language Change, but Language Acquisition (writing and reading) my CGP revision guide seems to be a bit thin on theories...

Change:

Crystal - Tri-Dialect*

Acquisition

Spoken: Chomsky vs Skinner -Nature vs Nurture

Spoken: Piaget -Cognitive Development

Spoken: Bruner - LASS

Spoken: Nelson -First word categorisation

Spoken: Halliday -Stages

Spoken: Berko & Brown -Fis phenomenon

Spoken: Cruttenden -Inflections

Spoken: Lenneberg -Critical Period Hypothesis

Spoken: Vygotsky -ZPD & Private Speech

Writing: Kroll -Stages

Writing: Barclay -Stages

Reading: ???

There's a few I'm not sure on, like David Crystal's Tri-dialect and Freeborn's views, so if someone could explain those in simple terms that would be helpful :smile:

Looking back at that list, it seems I've almost got too many theories for spoken acquisition.. especially when combined with the frameworks.. Our teachers put quite a lot of emphasis on the theory side of it all.. =/

Also, did I read that the exam board has a descriptive attitude re: Acquisition? We haven't been told anything of the sort, and I've been quite critical in that section in my past papers to date, but being marked highly. Should I try and change my wording of this for the exam..?

I got full UMS in last year's AS paper, and in my school out of the people who resat it in January, only one went up considerably, so maybe your school just really liked the January paper?

Oh, and my lord that's a lot of theories XD I'm familiar with the majority of your acquisition theories but our teacher didnt really stress theories for the change side of the course. Apparently AO2 in change covers issues like standardisation, prescriptivist and being aware of stuff like that too.

Reply 126
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Oh I see :smile: So you can still get into your first choice uni even if you don't get a B. I can see why'd you'd want it too, but it's not the end the world of you don't. If my maths is right, you need 60 more UMS for a C, which is infinitely more achievable than 100, so you're still in good steed to get in your first choice if you're aiming for As in the other two.

Yeah I still can, I was just hoping for extra push :smile: Yeah that's what I worked it out to be too. Yeah the other two I am hoping for A's, in Photography all my units were just a couple of marks below an A but I think in my exam I did quite well so hopefully that will push it up, and in my other one my coursework only dropped 9 marks on A2 coursework, but I still need about 80 marks in the exam to get an A, but after English is finished I only have that exam to focus on so I should be able to do it :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by Xenite

Change:

Crystal - Tri-Dialect*

I've got McKinnon written down to say 'language is either correct or incorrect, accepyable or unacceptable as a prescriptivist view.

Our teacher was very theory heavy too, she has given us at least 24 theorists for aquisition to learn which has resulted in me knowing none :frown:
Original post by ispymo
Yeah I still can, I was just hoping for extra push :smile: Yeah that's what I worked it out to be too. Yeah the other two I am hoping for A's, in Photography all my units were just a couple of marks below an A but I think in my exam I did quite well so hopefully that will push it up, and in my other one my coursework only dropped 9 marks on A2 coursework, but I still need about 80 marks in the exam to get an A, but after English is finished I only have that exam to focus on so I should be able to do it :smile:

It's still possible :smile: Oh only one exam? Wow, I still have 3 more :/ I'm so regretting taking 4 a levels now :/ but anyway yeah, totally! Good luck!!!

Reply 129
I got full UMS in last year's AS paper, and in my school out of the people who resat it in January, only one went up considerably, so maybe your school just really liked the January paper?

Oh, and my lord that's a lot of theories XD I'm familiar with the majority of your acquisition theories but our teacher didnt really stress theories for the change side of the course. Apparently AO2 in change covers issues like standardisation, prescriptivist and being aware of stuff like that too.

Yeah, I heard tht each centre gets marked by one examiner, so maybe we just got a nicer one second time round?:-)

T'is a lot of theories, and as I was writing them I was thinking that most were prpvably unnecessary... Ah well.
I didn't know standardisation and prescriptivism were ao2, I thought they werw context and terminology... Oops :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
Reply 130
It's still possible :smile: Oh only one exam? Wow, I still have 3 more :/ I'm so regretting taking 4 a levels now :/ but anyway yeah, totally! Good luck!!!

Ah yeah I only had 2 altogether! Pretty lucky I guess :smile: But I took 5 AS Levels which was a mistake, I only passed 3 of them so didn't have any choice in dropping them and I wanted to drop English! Thank you! You too! (yn)
Reply 131
Original post by Xenite

Last year, about four people out of my whole entire year got higher than a D in the AS exam - there is roughly about 150 people in my year. So they all got sent back for remarks lots went up significantly in marks; one even went from a D to an A. So I definitely think that there was something suspicious going on with the exam board!

The other day I actually read an article about how it has been suggested that some exam boards mark students papers down so that they can make money by them having to pay extortionate amounts of money to get them remarked. I don't know if it's true, but it's made me lose all faith in the exam system. I just really hope they don't screw up this year as, with it being A2, there's not really a chance to resit. :frown:
Original post by rebeccadaleyx
I'm really struggling with Writing myself, the theorists I know are:

B.M. Kroll's Writing Stages

Britton's Writing Modes

Rothery's Categories

And the knowledge:

Genre

Spelling Errors

Writing Stages

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. Really hoping to answer Spoken, as it should come up. I feel confident on speech but reading and writing I don't know as well. Hope that helps a little though.

Hoping for a spoken transcript for acquisition as well! And hopefully two newspapers for change, the older the better!
Reply 133

...I took 4 as levels, plus an AS Cit.Stud over 2 years (compulsory at our college..). For some reason, I was foolish and decided to take up the A2 citizenship as well, whereas most people dropped subjects.. I've got 5 A2s and half an AS, which means I've already sat 4 exams and have another 7 to go... lol.
Reply 134
I would try and write about them together under frameworks rather than separately. I'd maybe say why a child is speaking the way they do, and discuss the role of the parent in each sense, and constantly relate what the child is doing to the presence of the parent and their role the whole way through. You could talk about the features of the book and how it facilitates learning for adults to teach their children separately.

I also wouldn't worry if you don't get everything on the mark scheme. It's there to cover a wide range of what candidates could possibly say, and you certainly don't need to talk about everything they say to get a high mark.

Ok thank you so much for your help :smile: I really want an A in this exam, so hopefully all goes well tomorrow.
Original post by laurennmc
Hoping for a spoken transcript for acquisition as well! And hopefully two newspapers for change, the older the better!

I feel quite confident on spoken. If, by some slim chance, spoken doesn't come up I don't know what I'd do! But the AQA book says they usually do one spoken and one literacy so hopefully, they won't just change their minds!

But I'd be really happy with a modern text for change and one which is quite old, just because with modern texts you can really compare how language has changed. Then if an old came up too it would be much easier to compare! I really hope they're all good texts
Original post by SCheng
Ok thank you so much for your help :smile: I really want an A in this exam, so hopefully all goes well tomorrow.

You're welcome :smile: Good luck.
I've been predicted A* though, so I need 100/120.. so I really need a lot more preparation :/

The language change section was horrible in January!

However, it didn't help the fact my paper got marked really harshly. According to my teachers I should have had 6 marks more :frown: hope this doesn't happen again and stops me from getting into uni. Argh!

Reply 138
Anyone know what the boundaries are for A* (or other grades, come to mention it)?

I think I'm currently on 250 UMS marks [66+113+71], (providing coursework stays the same, though it's been requested for moderation), so I should easily be on target for a C (280?) but I need a B minimum...
Original post by Xenite
Anyone know what the boundaries are for A* (or other grades, come to mention it)?

I think I'm currently on 250 UMS marks [66+113+71], (providing coursework stays the same, though it's been requested for moderation), so I should easily be on target for a C (280?) but I need a B minimum...

I think A is 96...

You need 30/120 for a B then, whh is about a low C I think.
I think 280 is a B, not a C, and 240 is a C so, yeah. You'd need 70/120 for an A and 109 for an A* (if that 71 is your A2 coursework grade)

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending