The Student Room Group

Panorama highlights racism in football

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by marcusfox
So in your view, it matters not a bit that you are more likely as a tourist to be beaten to death in South Africa than you are in the Ukraine, regardless of whether or it's not about football?

To the person being beaten to death, it doesn't matter if its because of the team you support or because the guy wanted your camera.

You're still beaten to death, and you've more chance of ending up deader by going to South Africa, regardless of whether you go to watch football or any other tourist matter.

In any case, this will be easy to resolve.

Simply wait and watch the Euros, and if the Ukrainians kick off in a big way and beat a load of England fans to death, you'll be able to say 'I told you so'

But what is much more likely is that just like every major football tournament there are isolated incidents of minor fan violence, nothing more.

Given our country's history of hooliganism I'm sure loads of foreigners say the same about attending football matches in the UK too.

I don't think you get it. Yes SA is irrelevant in this case. We are talking about extreme football hooliganism not general racism, or general racially motivated attacks.

We have a history of football hooliganism, but it has never been linked with the extreme right wing such as in this case.
Original post by Theoneoranro

I actually gave you a long reply to your stupid post, telling you how stupid what your saying is but I edited it out because you're never going to listen. You racist scum won't get anything into your heads, you're going to keep arguing like morons. Haven't you ever wondered why your ideology is on the decline and people are starting to care less about race? Haven't you ever thought that it might be because thinking in the manner you think is uncivilsed and a thing of the past? New ideas come when we start growing our brains.
Just move on from thinking about race so much, it's stupid.

A long reply saying how stupid it is? What exactly is so stupid?

You just can't handle the fact that people other than white people can behave in a racist manner, and when such behaviour is pointed out to you, that if it were done by a white person in regards to a minority, it would be considered racist, you throw your toys out of the pram, calling us racist scum.

By the way, you didn't actually tell me what you considered was racist in my argument, you just called me a racist.

This behaviour is commonly used by those who have no argument, throwing around the R word like it is some sort of Top Trump card.

Typical.
Original post by Idle
Racism is in all corners of society, I don't see why there is a big fuss over it and it's connections with football.

You don't see why there's a big fuss over neo-Nazis actively looking for ethnic minorities to severely beat up or even murder?

edit: I can see you posted that comment before watching the panorama documentary, I'm assuming you've watched it now and retract your statement about not being able to see a big fuss over racism?
(edited 11 years ago)
A long reply saying how stupid it is? What exactly is so stupid?

You just can't handle the fact that people other than white people can behave in a racist manner, and when such behaviour is pointed out to you, that if it were done by a white person in regards to a minority, it would be considered racist, you throw your toys out of the pram, calling us racist scum.

By the way, you didn't actually tell me what you considered was racist in my argument, you just called me a racist.

This behaviour is commonly used by those who have no argument, throwing around the R word like it is some sort of Top Trump card.

Typical.

You are racist. You keep talking about how much you dislike Blacks and Pakistanis in every thread, although you don't say it directly it is obvious you are.
Anyway I am kind of white so stop calling me anti-white, if someone was racist to a white person i'd be as offended as you would be so stop moaning again.
I can continute arguing with you about race but it won't change anything, i've heard your arguments a million times from a million people and you've heard my side of the story. Look just judge people individually, don't judge someone based on their race. That's all i'm saying. Stop thinking about race so much because we're all the same inside. Colour is just what your body looks like, it doesn't tell people who you actually are.
Original post by fudgesundae
I don't think you get it. Yes SA is irrelevant in this case. We are talking about extreme football hooliganism not general racism, or general racially motivated attacks.

Travelling to another country for the purposes of watching football, it is extremely relevant.

For example, take Afghanistan. According to you, the risk of being kidnapped by the Taliban is irrelevant, but people should still go to the country because there is no football hooliganism there?

How about the UK? The rest of the world has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to beat us on hooliganism, but no one here would try to argue that football fans travelling from abroad are at high risk of violence.

We have a history of football hooliganism, but it has never been linked with the extreme right wing such as in this case.

You don't know much about football hooliganism then, which has been pretty obvious throughout your argument.

Tackling the racism angle first, a quote from that article...

In Britain, racist chanting at matches still occurs, but at nowhere near the levels it reached in the 1970s and 80s, when black players were often greeted with monkey-noises and bananas. The recent decline may be due in part to campaigns designed to combat racism, such as the 'Let's Kick Racism Out of Football' campaign.

I'd put monkey chanting directed at black players down as typical far right behaviour, wouldn't you?

The only thing that has reduced football hooliganism and racism in football, including the far right in the UK is the massive crackdown that was taken by the authorities..

The approach taken by the British authorities to reducing football hooliganism has been largely reactive - increasingly sophisticated policing, surveillance and monitoring techniques, segregation of fans, restrictions on alcohol etc. The British Government has also introduced specific legislation to cover acts of 'hooliganism'.

Now what I've been saying all along...

In most European countries, football-related violence is currently a predominantly internal problem, with the majority of incidents occurring at club-level matches, while supporters of the national team abroad are generally better-behaved. The English are an obvious exception to this rule, and rivalries between some other nations (e.g. Germany and the Netherlands) have led to violence, but these incidents seem recently to have diminished.

If Ukraine and Poland were such a problem, I think they would have been mentioned. Instead they go on to mention [flippant]practically every other country in Europe...[/flippant]

Apart from Britain, the nations currently experiencing the most significant problems of football-related violence are: Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium. The available data indicate that levels of football-related violence in these countries are roughly similar, with incidents occurring at around 10% of matches (or around 10% of supporters classifiable as 'violent').

Austria, Sweden and Denmark also experience some problems with football-related violence, although these appear to be on a smaller scale. In Denmark, a new style of non-violent, carnivalesque fan-culture, promoted by the 'Roligans' (a pun on 'hooligans', from 'rolig' meaning 'peaceful'), is gaining popularity.

France, Spain, Portugal and Switzerland have also experienced episodes of violence although football hooliganism cannot be said to be a major problem in these countries. In France and Switzerland, the theatrical, flamboyant Italian style of support (but largely without the passionate hostilities) has superseded the dour, and more violent, English style.

Sporadic violence has also been reported in Greece, the Czech Republic, Albania and Turkey. Some of these may be isolated incidents, but there is no room for complacency, as these countries may currently be in the early 'stages' of the development pattern outlined above.
Reply 65
I couldn't believe that head of police in the panorama. 'They're not doing the heil hitler salute they are just pointing....they are very friendly'
You are racist. You keep talking about how much you dislike Blacks and Pakistanis in every thread, although you don't say it directly it is obvious you are.
Anyway I am kind of white so stop calling me anti-white, if someone was racist to a white person i'd be as offended as you would be so stop moaning again.
I can continute arguing with you about race but it won't change anything, i've heard your arguments a million times from a million people and you've heard my side of the story. Look just judge people individually, don't judge someone based on their race. That's all i'm saying. Stop thinking about race so much because we're all the same inside. Colour is just what your body looks like, it doesn't tell people who you actually are.

"You are racist. You keep talking about how much you dislike Blacks and Pakistanis in every thread, although you don't say it directly it is obvious you are."

I just had to highlight this twice in order to preserve it for the national museum of idiocy.

So, let me get this straight, you think I'm a racist because of the way I talk about Pakistanis and black people, but you can't actually provide any specific examples of where I have done so.

So in fact I am only a racist in your own tiny mind?
"You are racist. You keep talking about how much you dislike Blacks and Pakistanis in every thread, although you don't say it directly it is obvious you are."

I just had to highlight this twice in order to preserve it for the national museum of idiocy.

So, let me get this straight, you think I'm a racist because of the way I talk about Pakistanis and black people, but you can't actually provide any specific examples of where I have done so.

So in fact I am only a racist in your own tiny mind?

Read through your posts in other threads and you'll realise why people think you hate those 2 ethnic groups. I don't need to give you any examples. I bet you don't even talk to blacks and pakistanis irl you racist. So obvious that you're racist that it's actually funny. It reminds me of when Nick Griffin says he's not racist, I get a great laugh from it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
like somebody else pointed out, if anyone had dared tell white people that they should not have travelled to south africa because of anti white violence it would have been classed as racism. ( not sure how protecting white people from hate and violence is racist, buts that modern britain for you. )

so i think sol campbell was racist for saying what he said in the circumstances.
I thought it was kinda weird that they just focused upon racism within football in these countries... When, really, the fact is that racism is just quite prevalent in general there. As are other things like homophobia.

Alas.

One day the rest of the world will catch up with Western Europe.

/awaits the rage of apologetic pro-cultural relativism dickheads
Reply 70
Original post by concubine
I thought it was kinda weird that they just focused upon racism within football in these countries... When, really, the fact is that racism is just quite prevalent in general there. As are other things like homophobia.

Alas.

One day the rest of the world will catch up with Western Europe.

/awaits the rage of apologetic pro-cultural relativism dickheads

yep, i bet they can't wait to catch up with western europe -- oh, how wonderful it will be for them when their cities are made no go areas by hate filled immigrant street gangs -- but at least they won''t be 'waaacist'.

progress. gotta love it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whofan
yep, i bet they can't wait to catch up with western europe -- oh, how wonderful it will be for them when their cities are made no go areas by hate filled immigrant street gangs -- but at least they won''t be 'waaacist'.

progress. gotta love it.

Have you ever, you know, been outside?
Reply 72
Original post by concubine
Have you ever, you know, been outside?

er, yes......
Reply 73
Travelling to another country for the purposes of watching football, it is extremely relevant.

For example, take Afghanistan. According to you, the risk of being kidnapped by the Taliban is irrelevant, but people should still go to the country because there is no football hooliganism there?

How about the UK? The rest of the world has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to beat us on hooliganism, but no one here would try to argue that football fans travelling from abroad are at high risk of violence.

Seeing as this thread is about football hooliganism, then yes the threat of being kidnapped in Afghanistan is completely irrelevant. This thread is about the risk from football hooliganism for English football fans. You need to get this into your head and stop talking about a completely different issue to what I am talking about.

I'd put monkey chanting directed at black players down as typical far right behaviour, wouldn't you?

Once again, your lack of reading comprehension astounds me. I talked about extreme right wing behaviour. You come back with an example of 'typical' right wing behaviour.

Just to spell it out for you again:

Nazi salutes and chants of Sieg heil are much worse than monkey chanting.

Once again I will reiterate that this thread is about extreme right wing/facist behaviour in football matches in Ukraine and Poland.

The only thing that has reduced football hooliganism and racism in football, including the far right in the UK is the massive crackdown that was taken by the authorities..

Cool. Don't see how this is relevant. It isn't like I was saying that we should ignore it?
Reply 74
Original post by whofan
like somebody else pointed out, if anyone had dared tell white people that they should not have travelled to south africa because of anti white violence it would have been classed as racism. ( not sure how protecting white people from hate and violence is racist, buts that modern britain for you. )

so i think sol campbell was racist for saying what he said in the circumstances.

So you don't think telling white people not to travel to SA is actually racist. However you think what Sol Campbell said is racist?

Original post by whofan

progress. gotta love it.

Hmmmm, not sure if we are talking about the same Western Europe here...
Reply 75
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jk4vr/Panorama_Euro_2012_Stadiums_of_Hate/

If you have the time, then watch this video. It is truly shocking and sickening to see what goes on in some football stadiums across Eastern Europe.

Just in this video alone they documented Nazi salutes at games, horrific anti-semitic chants and the unprovoked beating of some Indian students by fans of the same team.

I really cannot understand why UEFA have given Poland and Ukraine the Euro 2012 tournament. Why give it to a place where not everyone can enjoy the football. The worst part of it is that the Ukranian police fail to admit there is a problem. They claim that there have been no racist incidents inside stadiums. However in the 3 or 4 games Panorama went to, they filmed many incidents.

Thoughts on the video, Poland and Ukraine being given the tournament, or racism in football in general?

I watched this last night and I thought it was disgusting. The racists have no purpose. So what if they're a different colour? They make themselves look stupid.

The police and the countries made themselves look further stupid by saying they had 0 tolerance to racism and yet when it broke out, you could see on the video footage them not leaving it until it because OTT violent and even them they did a pathetic job.
Read through your posts in other threads and you'll realise why people think you hate those 2 ethnic groups. I don't need to give you any examples. I bet you don't even talk to blacks and pakistanis irl you racist. So obvious that you're racist that it's actually funny. It reminds me of when Nick Griffin says he's not racist, I get a great laugh from it.

Sooo, no examples of me actually being racist then?

And I was wrong about screaming the R word being a Top Trump, you've even gone and outdone yourself - a comparison to Nick Griffin, well, done!

Now we can look at your entire contribution to TSR.

One might think you have some sort of major chip on your shoulder. 119 posts to date and [URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?query=racism&sortby=score+desc&filter[forumid]=%28%29&filter[userid]=%28952253%29"]almost half of those are you adding your two cents about racist white people or defending asian racists.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
So you don't think telling white people not to travel to SA is actually racist. However you think what Sol Campbell said is racist?

Hmmmm, not sure if we are talking about the same Western Europe here...

do i think telling white people not to travel to south africa is racist. no. why, do you?

i am simply pointing out that the double standards are what makes sol campbell's remarks racist.

over 50% of street crime in london is committed by blacks, even though the black population if london is just over 10% -- i bet the eastern europeans just can't wait to become a modern vibrant multicultural city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom
Thoughts on the video, Poland and Ukraine being given the tournament, or racism in football in general?

Makes me wonder whether the banning of South Africa by FIFA during the apartheid regime was just. It does seem to be hypcritical at some angles when these two are compared, even if the authorities involved are different bodies.
Reply 79
LOL there are racist's on this thread trying to justify the Neo-Nazis actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending